Guest Kenny

Android phones hold firm against iPhone

Guest Kenny

From Phnom Penh Post

Friday 14th September 2012

By Anne Renzenbrink

Apple needs to do more than revamp its iPhone to maintain a leading status on the smartphone market, according to the global independent analyst firm Ovum.

Ovum predicts Apple’s new iPhone, the iPhone 5, will be the company’s most successful smartphone. But without redesigning its mobile operating system iOS and the underlying software platform within the next two years, Ovum predicts Apple will be in a similar position to Nokia and RIM, both confronted with outdated smartphone platforms.

He said right now, they sell about two or three Samsung SIII per day, compared to only one iPhone 4S per week.

Read More Here

IFR Pilot

Well... Having owned both... In short- if you want no hassle, everything works, and no tinkering or as I say FÂ¥cking about...then IPhone wins hands down. If you like to hack and have total freedom then the S3 is a nice phone. I must admit having the ability to grab torrents on the fly is a welcomed nicety i have with the S3. Sometimes you want to grab an ebook while waiting to board your flight or whatever.

The biggest hurdle for me so far has been the typing / text prediction on the S3. I could bang out a novel on my Iphone without too many issues. But the S3 is doing my head in so far with its functionality in this area. Hopefully that improves with time i.e. practice?

The ability to ad a memory card is nice but its kind of BS as the external card doesnt accept application installs (without hacking). Im over my hacking days. I dont have time for it. I want shit to work period.

Guest Kenny
IFR Pilot[/color]' timestamp='1347642786' post='5209']

The ability to ad a memory card is nice but its kind of BS as the external card doesnt accept application installs (without hacking).

SD2PHONE.APP does it for you at a touch.

If you want to make calls, send texts ,watch movies and listen to MP3 files, there are plenty of lesser known smart phones that do it all.

I have an LG P500 which does all I want and need and it cost $100 brand new in the box.

As an aside, it's smaller and lighter than the iphones I've seen.

Quite comfortable in the top pocket of my shirt.

Sure, the Galaxy and the iPhone might be better, but they're not 5 times better.

RAM8

I completely agree with IFR, and I too am over my hacking days. I used to build PC's, but just recently my PC developed a hardware fault which I just could not be bothered isolating so I threw my PC in the bin as it is basically redundant for my purposes. I now run my own private cloud over a NAS device, all controlled through my iphone or mac laptop. 'Smart' devices is where it will all be in a few years for everybody (now for a lot of people).

I will be buying a new device soon and I have narrowed my choices to iphone5, galaxy or lumia920. I think I'll be going with iphone5 even though it is $1K.

IFR Pilot

SD2PHONE.APP does it for you at a touch.

"Not supported by my device."

Hacking.

WillBarra

I would buy a $400 Android phone rather than a $800 iphone.

There's no doubt that the iphone is a great piece of kit, but the price needs to be halved..

IFR Pilot
I would buy a $400 Android phone rather than a $800 iphone.

There's no doubt that the iphone is a great piece of kit, but the price needs to be halved..

I hear you... They are talking about breaking the $1k mark with the Iphone 5 yea? Damn. Well I bet its $1k in HK now for the grey market ones that will be on the shelves right quick.