Guest Kenny

Thailand, Cambodia joint Visa

Guest Kenny

Thailand, Cambodia ready to launch joint visa scheme

From Bangkok Post

Saturday 10th November 2012

By staff

Thailand and Cambodia are ready to implement a single visa agreement, which would enable tourists to use only one visa for both countries from Nov 21, an immigration bureau chief says.

The project comes under the Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (Acmecs).

Acmecs, which was initiated by Thailand and set up in 2003, is a joint development scheme involving Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.

Foreign ministers of the five countries have discussed single visas several times, but Thailand and Cambodia were the first to sign an agreement five years ago and have been the first to decide to implement the scheme.

Read More Here

seaman

This article raises whole bunch of questions. For example, if one gets a one year multiple entry visa in Cambodia, does that mean the same visa is equally valid in Thailand as well? If true then it totally eliminated the student visa scheme that many have used to stay long term in Thailand. There must be more to this than what the article states.

seaman

IFR Pilot

Im sure it applies to the tourist visa only (and the related times of stay) which most people who want to stay in Thailand don't need anyway. There's no way Thailand would allow people to give money to the Cambodian government in order for them to stay indefinitely in Thailand.

Was a nice thought for the millisecond I had it.

phuketrichard

tourist visa only;

...Under the scheme, tourist visas obtained at the embassies of either Thailand or Cambodia will be valid for entry into both countries...

but how does it work?

i get a thai tourist visa and go to Thailand, Can i also go to Cambodia on the same visa and vs vs?? and how long is it valid for?

a Thai tousit visa is valid for 60 days, Cambodian tourists visas are only good for 30

so on one visa can i enter thailand and stay 60 days and than on the same visa go to Cambodia for 30?

Edited by phuketrichard

Parrothead
phuketrichard[/color]' timestamp='1352607817' post='6748']

a Thai tousit visa is valid for 60 days, Cambodian tourists visas are only good for 30

You are talking renewals, right?

Upon entry through the airport, Thailand still only allows 30 days.

phuketrichard

You are talking renewals, right?

Upon entry through the airport, Thailand still only allows 30 days.

arriving at the airport u are goivng a 30 day visa exemption, it is not a visa and its free and is not available for everyone.( only 48 countries ) http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php

so by ur thinking u could get a free 30 day to thailand and go to Cambodia as well ( so cambo loses the $20)?

Edited by phuketrichard

Parrothead
phuketrichard[/color]' timestamp='1352613399' post='6750']

so by ur thinking u could get a free 30 day to thailand and go to Cambodia as well ( so cambo loses the $20)?

Well, that is what is confusing me, here. For this to work, all countries involved are going to have to get a universal cost for the visas. Say, pay X number dollars / baht, etc., and you can go through each country? Someone is going to lose, unless you pay an "entry" fee to go into each country. So, you control how much it costs you, by determining how many countries you wish to visit. Sound feasible to you?

phuketrichard

isn't that what everyone does now??

only thing u will save is extra trips to embassies. BUT with visa on arrivals in Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia and vietnam, ( where u need apply in advance online or visit an embassy) and free entry for 30 days in Thailand & up to 90 days in Malaysia and sing

whats the point??

Edited by phuketrichard

Parrothead

Sorry. Let me see if I can clarify myself here.

For example, we have Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam. I want to visit Cambodia and Vietnam, but no other countries. If the countries were all to get together and charge the same rate for visitor visas, and give them the same length of stay, by land crossings or air, it would simplify things. When securing the visa (at any point), we can simply let the official know which countries we want to visit and pay a flat rate for each country - for the same length of time. So, I go to Vietnam and Cambodia for $25 USD each.

They could have a scale set - $30 for one month, $50 for two months, etc. But, with Vietnam and their "credit rating" visas (which is a good idea by the way), I am not sure they would go for it.

As it sets now, each country has different fees and different lengths of stay. If I go to Thailand by land, I can only get, what, 14 days? If I come to Cambodia from Thailand, I can get a 30 day tourist visa. If they get together and make the visas uniform, and at a flat (universal) rate, it would make things much easier on the visitors.

phuketrichard

yea but u go to Thailand u get 15 days FREE by road and 30 days FREE by air

travelling to Camboida u pay anywhere from $20 to 1,000 baht for 30 days by road

arriving by air u pay $20 an get 30 days

Ahh i see

Tourists arrivng in Thailand with no visa first time by air;

speaking with Thai immigration, ( or Cambodians, Burmese, Laotions) who all speak excellent english; :-)

"hello, and where may i ask is it you want to go?

"excuse me?" I want to go to Thailand , thats why i am here"

"No,i mean What OTHER countries do u want to visit?"

"sorry, i dont understand"

"well u can get one visa an its good for all other countries in Asia"

" ahh , I see, well what countries can i visit"

"well u can visit thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, etc etc"

"ok, i want visit Thailand and Cambodia"

"ahh good, well thailand u can stay for 30 days free or u can stay for 60 days but u have to pay, for Cambodia you have to pay $20"

and so on and so on.

lines that are now 20 minutes to 1 hour will soon be 2-3 hours.

OR will they need to visit some embassy in advance and there tell them where they want to go.

I cant see it working

Edited by phuketrichard