Parrothead

Well, I finally had enough of the dongle recharges. I decided I wanted something offering a bit more of a deal, too. I found one. Well, my friends Alan and John (Bohn, a long time friend from Cebu) sent me a text yesterday to let me know their new internet service provider guys were there to do the installs in their respective apartments. (Alan and John currently live adjacent to each other.) So, I dropped by to watch this.

The company is WIZION Broadband, based out of Phnom Penh. The current offers are shown here:

Wizion Broadband current internet service offers.

I actually have their $35 USD / month package, but have been getting well over 1 Megabit up and down. They are not new to Sihanoukville, having been here for more than two years. I guess, until now, they just had not marketed themselves well.

Anyway, I should be able to give you some good feedback on their service over the next few weeks.

dicey eye

For me the highest quality provider in S'Ville is Ezecom. I've tried them all, mostly due to staying at a number of hotels, each one seems to have a different provider. Metfone is probably the cheapest, though also the slowest and the most erratic.

Ezecom is one fast dude- I download torrents at 1.5 to 2 megs per second. Its greased lightning, probably a wee bit more in price than the others

Parrothead

A wee bit more? Surely you jest?

I got a quote in the neighborhood, that is,depending on which speed I wanted, of like $120 or $180 USD per month, back in June. This package is $35 USD, man. That is nothin' to sneeze at. I am getting over 1 Megabit down and almost 1 Megabit up.

This connection is just as fast, took all of 15 minutes to install, and I was up and running. No more dongle. No more "limited by time". And, it's an unthrottled (Is that a word, unthrottled?) connection. So far, so good.

Edited by Paul

dicey eye

Happiness is a fast, cheap lady called Wizion. I now pronounce you man and internet 'til death do you part.

• Like 1

Parrothead

2385515998.png

Not bad, for Cambodia, at $35 USD per month, unlimited.

Edited by Paul

Guest Kenny

That's a bloody good result for S.E.A. Paul.

I wonder what speed some of the WIFI connections are like around Cambodia?

I remember Cavern in PP was fast and so was Luna's Beach Resort.

This download speed is what I miss when I'm O/S

2385533827.png

Parrothead

Places like Charlie Harper's, Beach Club, and the like are fairly fast (maybe 3 or 4 Megabits). But, they pay dearly for those connections. We are talking hundreds of dollars, here.

Unfortunately, Cambodia isn't like Thailand, where you can get a 10 Megabit connection for 1,000 TBH (~$30 USD) per month. There, the internet is also very reliable (stable), as it is in western countries.

Edited by Paul

Parrothead

I recently communicated with my friend Monte, giving him a bit of information on my recently installed internet connection through Wizion Broadband, here in Sihanoukville. So far, I have had this installed for about a month. No money up front, and five (5) days to try it for free. If you are not happy with it, call them and they will come remove it from your home.

Anyway, here is a bit of information that I felt I would add for those who may be interested in going with this service.

This is, basically, what the radio antenna looks like, that is used to transmit / receive the packets of information to / from the Wizion tower. Anyway, this would be mounted as high as possible to clear any obstacles or obstructions from direct line of site view. It is a directional antenna, therefore must be pointed in the direction of the transmission tower of Wizion.
06EA1021-F1E9-49B9-95A1-67B9FBF64C17.png

The image below is what the radio antenna looks like, properly mounted at your site.
images.jpg

This is similar rear view of the radio antenna. The only cable to come from it is a Category 5 or 6 LAN cable. (Power is provided through this same cable and up to the radio antenna, from the DC Injector, seen below.)
big-high-power-11n-150mbps-outdoor-ap-router-with-cpe.jpg

This is one example of what a DC Injector looks like. Basically, it is a small 12vdc power supply, with two LAN (RJ-45) connections. One connection port is for the LAN cable coming from the radio antenna. The other port is for the LAN cable going to your computer (or a router), for distribution of the connection. It supplies the power needed for the radio antenna to broadcast its signal.
dc_injector.jpg

This is the router I personally use. It is a Linksys e1000. It has been quite reliable.
e1000_router.jpg

You will connect the LAN cable from the DC Injector, to the WAN (Internet) port on the rear of your router.
router.jpg

Then, connect, either by LAN cable or WiFi, your computer(s) to your router.
laptop-computer.jpg

Here is a quick drawing I made, which shows the connection flow.
point_to_point_antenna_system.jpg

• Like 1

IFR Pilot

Looks like SmartBro. But you'd never get 1MBPS Up with smartbro haha