Guest Kenny

Update to Thailand, Cambodia Single Visa

Guest Kenny

Thailand, Cambodia launch single-entry visa

From Chinadaily.com

Thursday 27th December 2012

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

From today, tourists from 35 countries need only apply for one visa to visit both Thailand and Cambodia. This is part of Acmecs Single Visa - the first step toward an Asean version of the European Union's Schengen Visa scheme.

Visitors who want to visit both countries can apply for a visa at either country's embassy.

Read More Here

Kenny: Further into this article....

"visa fees for both countries will have to be paid. For instance, the Thai embassy will charge 1,000 baht (US$32) for entry into Thailand and the tourist will have to pay the Cambodian visa fee upon arrival in that country and vice versa".

seaman

Unless I am missing a big part of why this scheme is being touted (which I don't think I am), this two visa thing is pretty idiotic. Citizens of countries that are allowed to participate in the two visa scheme are already getting 30 day Thai visa for free on entry. These same people can get 30 day Cambodia visa on arrival for $20 USD. So why would anyone go through the hassle of arranging visa for two countries ahead of travel? Just doesn't make sense.

seaman

dicey eye

The law of diminishing returns - charge more, get less - ya wanna by a bridge?

Guest Kenny

I think it could be good by waking up older holiday makers to the fact that you can actually take a holiday in Cambodia.

Phuket is getting real bad press these days so I think quite a few people are going to read up on Cambodia and make it part of their 10 day break.

When I tell 40 plus people that I spend half the year in Cambodia they start to ask about Pol Pot and is it safe and do they have hotels.