OrangeDragon

Free US # and incoming calls (so far)

OrangeDragon

http://orangedragontravels.com/2013/03/21/staying-connected-on-a-budget-get-a-free-us-phone-number-and-incoming-calls/

So far I've tested it and it's working fine for all incoming calls, with a little breaking up from me to them while using my mobitel data connection on my phone.  Haven't tested it with broadband as I'm in the process of moving and don't have any right now.

A nice way for family/friends to get a hold of you for emergencies, or if your telecommuting like I am for clients to reach you.  Their outgoing call rates seem pretty decent as well with some packages that make it about 1.5 cents (US) a minute.

• Like 2

Guest Kenny

Thanks for that info, I read the write up and it seems to be a good system.

OrangeDragon

yeah, i will say i keep getting kicked off/back on a lot... however i think that has more to do with my shitty phone (and possibly the sip client i chose) than the service itself.

phuketrichard

seems good but in an emergency who cares how much it cost to call u.

i prefer using using calling cards in the states to call back to Cambodia or Thailand

and  in Thailand  i use took dee calling card which cost less than $.85 satang for calls thailand to the states

and in cambodia its cheap as well

otherwsie theres always skype for calls or whatapp for messages ( i love it)

Parrothead

Thanks for the post on your blog. Good read. Definitely something to keep in mind, as well.

Currently, I use, and have since 2005, is VOIP service through Packet 8, or 8x8, Inc. It is anything but free. I think it costs me about $25.00 USD per month. But, it has always been reliable. It has always been clear. It has always worked. All reasons as to why I have kept it. Although, nowadays, I don't get many calls on it. In fact, at the moment, it is not connected to my network, due to me (very) recently, getting rid of my previous internet provider - Wizion. Their service went downhill, so I kicked them out the door. I'm looking for another one, now.

OrangeDragon

Not sure how S'ville is, but I've had great service from Digi in PP.

kanela

Here in Ecuador I have a magic jack with a US phone number. All calls both ways are free. Doesn't anyone there use the magic jack. You can actually download from the play store to your phone for free and you can get a free US phone number. It works pretty well. I speak with my daughter sometimes for 4 hours at a time. Then I skype all the grandkids! I never pay to keep in close touch.

Read2Learn

If any of you have a Magic Jack then you can also have the same phone number on your android or IPhone by downloading an app off their page MagicJack.com

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• John_Galt
      By John_Galt
      How do you know you are buying an original phone? 

There are many places here in Cambodia and SEA that will try and sell you a fake / look-alike phone. Some businesses knowingly some unknowingly. 

Here is some tips to help you buy an original phone.

IPhone - This one is easy. 

Go to the app store. 
      If it loads the Iphone app store it is real. 
      If it loads the Google Play Store it is fake.
      It is currently impossible to run a fake IOS all fake Iphones run Android with the skin changed to look like IOS.

Android - This is a little more complicated but still easy enough.

Download the Geekbench app onto the phone you are looking to buy. 
      Then run the Geekbench Benchmark test. It can take from 5-15 minutes to run the test.
      Take note of the resulting score.
      Check this score on the Geekbench website. 
      If the score is nearly the same the phone is real.
      If the score is way off the phone is fake.

Example: 
      Real Samsung note 8 Score is 1800 single core 6000 multi core
      Fake Samsung note 8 score is 421 single core 1126 multi core 

The fake / knockoff phones are made to look like the original not to perform like it. You can't go by look alone some of the fakes are just too good. Just watch some YouTube videos and you will see.
      If you want to buy a fake phone then the price generally seems to be 10% of the original phone's price. 

Good luck when buying a phone. 

• TorJay
      By TorJay
      Game on for tech champion Mon, 9 September 2013 Chloe Cann  

Softly spoken and with a self-effacing demeanour, you might not realise that Ear Uy (otherwise known as Louis) is a man very much in demand.   With invitations to attend technology conferences and exhibitions from Tokyo to the US embassy in Phnom Penh, and all the way to America’s Silicon Valley – all while running Cambodia’s first game development studio – Louis certainly has enough to keep him occupied. And that’s just his schedule for the next two months.

Louis’ visit to the States was only added to his bursting agenda two weekends ago, when he was selected as one of five winners of DEMO ASEAN 2013.

The two-day event, which took place in Ho Chi Minh, seeks to connect IT and tech entrepreneurs with investors, and to garner exposure for exciting new products within the industry.

Read more:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle/game-tech-champion

• Guest Kenny
      By Guest Kenny
      Seeing the informative post by Orange Dragon re a free number and cheap calls to USA has prompted me to tell you how I handle calls from Oz.
      I run a computer help desk and I have customers all over Australia so it's important that I can be easily reached, wherever I am in the world.

For many years I had 4 Skype numbers in each of Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane at a flat out cost of $24 per 1/4 each. So 4 x $24 x 4 = $384 per year or $32 per month plus call costs.

I dropped the Skype deal last year in favor of a deal with Telecube .

They give me up to 10 Australia wide 1300 number which terminate wherever I like (yes, in Cambodia or wherever) for $5.50 per month consumeable (so the first $5.50 worth of calls are free).

The termination number can have a roll over number and then that number can also have a roll over number.
      This means that calls to any of my 1300 numbers will first ring the VOIP phone on my desk.
      If I don't answer within 10 seconds, it rings my mobile number. If that doesn't answer it will ring another number (at the moment, my Cambodian sim)

I use my setup mainly for business but I reckon it would be ideal for family and friends too.
      With the ten available 1300 numbers, you could assign one to mum and dad, two to your best buddy, three to.......and so on.
      All 10 can have a different ring and caller ID.

Worth a look.
      Works for me.

• Guest Kenny
      By Guest Kenny
      From Phnom Penh Post
      Friday 14th September 2012
      By Anne Renzenbrink
      Apple needs to do more than revamp its iPhone to maintain a leading status on the smartphone market, according to the global independent analyst firm Ovum.

Ovum predicts Apple’s new iPhone, the iPhone 5, will be the company’s most successful smartphone. But without redesigning its mobile operating system iOS and the underlying software platform within the next two years, Ovum predicts Apple will be in a similar position to Nokia and RIM, both confronted with outdated smartphone platforms.

He said right now, they sell about two or three Samsung SIII per day, compared to only one iPhone 4S per week.
      Read More Here
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Greetings:

Those of you who use smart phones, may now find it easier to view this forum. Please note that I have added Tapatalk integration to this site.

Please contact me directly, or post in this thread, to let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Paul

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.