emeraldbar

Irish Stew

emeraldbar

This week's special at The Emerald Bar is Irish stew. It's a thick beef stew with potatoes and carrots, and comes with a side of bread and your choice of a draft beer or soft drink for only $4.50. 

1082498_10101323474089335_669784114_o.jp

map1.jpg

Edited by emeraldbar
  • Like 2

dicey eye

In marketing, image carries a lot of weight.

Potential customers always want a deal, especially on "weekly specials". The advertiser has to produce images that are beguiling, enticing. Me thinks the image of your Irish Stew would be more effective with a few minor tweaks - for instance, the image would be more intriguing if the bowl were nearly overflowing with stew. Potential customers would think, "what a great deal, look at all the stew ya get"..Small things like that make a big difference.

attached are 2 examples off the internet:

post-186-0-40965400-1375419193.jpg

post-186-0-62765000-1375419462.jpg

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

jimmyboy

quite right! and it is a powerful marketing tool especially locally.

notice how the red end of the spectrum in the  pics dicey posted is really pumped?

red is good for food shots.

equally - laminated photo menus are really effective across the language divide.

theres an old saying that people eat with their eyes

• Like 1

Parrothead

theres an old saying that people eat with their eyes

I would starve to death.

jimmyboy

need glasses?

emeraldbar

Thanks for the advice. Will put more effort into photography in future.

jimmyboy

It is a real quandary, the more you put into the tekno side of things the less time you have for living and work in real life.

I am convinced that Facebook is the easiest  platform out there- it has all the geolocation and is optimised for devices.

free too.

forums are a great way to hook baseline return custom no doubt.

i am bidding on a pentax k on ebay as we speak for product photos.

Richard will laugh at my keeniaw camera choice - he and others on these fora make something of a living from the lens.

sidestep

All good FREE marketing advice.

jimmyboy

online sucks but most important now. at least the knowledge is portable

Parrothead

I don't care what the photos (errr, fotos) look like. I can't eat them. I just go to the places that advertise and eat the food. :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• andy
      By andy
      Brits horrified by ‘idiotic’ American version of Yorkshire pudding

America became America on July 4 1776.

Some years earlier, in 1747, legendary English recipe writer Hannah Glasse came up with the name 'Yorkshire pudding' for a centuries-old dish which called for cooks to marry wheat flour and meat dripping.

Dripping puddings, which were a little flatter, became Yorkshire puddings, all tall and golden. Good news. (Click on the link below to read full article)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/brits-horrified-by-idiotic-american-version-of-yorkshire-pudding/ar-AAxcflT?ocid=spartandhp

1796 the first all-American cookbook American Cookery, by Amelia Simmons, that the pancake is given true glory.

I am a Yorkshire lad, and have been raised on these puddings, and yes! We, up in the north of England make the very best.

But I don’t have any problems with anyone, or their nationality making them. Or more to the point! Their own variations of making the worldwide known pudding.
       “What started as a hefty starter with gravy soon became a working household staple – a low-cost, filling dish”.

That one quote from the article had me remembering back to the days when I was a young lad growing up in the county of Yorkshire.

The Yorkshire pudding covered with gravy would come to the table served first. When finished and cleared away the main would follow. A dish of consisting of meat (beef, lamb, pork or chicken) with potatoes (new) if in season. Fresh green vegetables, once again served with gravy. After this, and only if your plate was clear you were allowed desert!

Pie or crumble, fillings of Apple, Rhubarb, Blackberries if they were in season. Oven made Rice pudding served with milk was one of my favourites.
      Apples, we has kids at times would raid from local orchards, having the youngest lookout for the grounds man. Blackberries were always plentiful with bushes growing in hedgerows, other berries could be found too.
      Rhubarb! I remember to this day, my friend being caught by the farmer in one of the dark sheds. Well the farmer took that rhubarb from his hand and beat his arse until he cried for him to stop. Then the farmer took him home to his dad, and he beat him too. It still haunts me to this day.      

Now the Rhubarb grow local to us and was known has “The Rhubarb Triangle” less known to outsiders, but here in Yorkshire it is the heart of the British rhubarb industry.

http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/rhubarb-rhubarb-growing-rhubarb-in-the-rhubarb-triangle-22274

Parents, mostly mothers at the time worked in the abundant woollen textile mills. Some fathers would work in the coal pits. Families living in the plentiful rows of "one up one down" terraced housing with outdoor toilets and some shared the candle lit luxury. Bathing was by the means of a tin bath in front of the warm coal fire.    
      Then came major immigration. Indians and Pakistanis came to work in the textile mills of Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Yes! They were the good old days. In reality for some, the serving of the Yorkshire pudding at the time would have been cooked in the frying pan, this would save the on the cost of gas, the quicker and alternative way of the desired pudding, now the flat Yorkshire is put on the table and served with gravy.

From the “quote above” A hefty starter with gravy, a low-cost, filling dish. That is a true statement, but I don't think it was wrote by a Yorkshire person.
      How and why a Yorkshire man may have enjoyed his pudding, because to be true, back in them good old days, the rest of the pantry may have been empty.

I to this very day like to make myself a flat Yorkshire pudding with gravy.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      @Wiley54 sent me an email tonight, regarding local food items, items shipped in from Phnom Penh (or elsewhere), and delivery services. I felt my reply was important enough to share with others, as this would apply not only to Battambang, but to most places throughout the country, aside from Phnom Penh, and, to a lesser degree, Siem Reap.

Anyway, here in Battambang, we have Heng Chhay Ly for grocery, dry goods, etc., for shopping. It is a local, smaller version of Gaisano Malls (Philippines), Wal*Mart (USA and elsewhere), Big W (Australia), Big C (Thailand), etc. Heng Chhay Ly also offer pots and pans, commercial cooking items, appliances - God only knows what all - thousands of items. Heng Chhay Ly does not deliver, as far as I know.

We also have a local food distributor in town, called Lee's Frozen Food. They offer a variety of steaks and other meats, shipped from the USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Lee's Frozen Food also offer other items for your refrigerator and pantry. Lee's does delivery locally. They also have locations in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, if my information is correct. 

Battambang location map below:

Another shop tailored to the foreign palate is the Chea Neang Drink Shop. Usually just called the "Drink Shop". The staff at this shop are known to have specific items shipped in for customers, at the customers' request. But, you can typically find spices, cereals, cheeses, various imported Johnsonville sausages, sliced ham, coffee, fresh milk, etc. A much smaller shop than Heng Chhay Ly, but certainly a wide variety of items. Chea Neang Drink Shop does NOT deliver locally.

Battambang location map below:

If food items are not readily available here, they can be shipped by bus, direct from businesses in Phnom Penh. Two of these distributors are LSH Cambodia (Phnom Penh) and Dan's Meats (Phnom Penh & Sihanoukville). Either business will ship your order via bus, in a cooler packed with ice.

LSH Cambodia (February 2018) Price List: LSH Price List for February 2018 3.pdf

Phnom Penh location maps below:
      LSH Cambodia, No. 11, St. 09 Sangkat Tunle Basak, Khan Chamkarmorn, Phnom Penh. Number: 023 864 168

Dan's Meats, 36 Oknha Men Street 200, Phnom Penh. Number: 097 929 2234

• andy
      By andy
      Beautiful mussels cooked in white wine and mushroom sauce.
      Mussels bought fresh from the mangroves in koh Kong
    • andy
      By andy
      What do you eat here in Cambodia?
      With having a Khmer girlfriend I have a mixture of food, western and cambodian! One or two things with eating Khmer food, it is healthy and low cost. It also keeps the lady happy.

A recent visit to the soup kitchen. cost was around $10 with a few beers.

• TorJay
      By TorJay
      Spring Vale’s shoyu ramen is made with broth prepared in Mama Yahata’s kitchen. Athena Zelandonii   Much-loved Japanese lunch spot returns   Fri, 25 March 2016 Brent Crane   With a name that would more suit a florist, Spring Vale is actually a family-run Japanese lunch spot that reopened after a hiatus a few doors closer to Russian Market in Street 450 last month. It’s a standard shop-house-style place, fan-cooled with a rather plain fitout that might be described as patio-furniture chic.

But if the interior decoration sounds basic, it’s because the owners saved all their energy for the food.

Prepared by head chef Mama Yahata out the back, Spring Vale serves up nourishing Japanese comfort food just like you would find in kitchens back in Hokkaido, the northernmost of Japan’s islands where the family originated.   

Spring Vale was one of the first Japanese restaurants to open in the Tuol Tom Poung area. Athena Zelandonii   For a satisfying mid-day meal, diners can chose from the katsudon ($4), a rice bowl topped with fried pork and egg, the hot pot udon ($4.5), and the Japanese curry with deep-fried pork ($3.5 for a regular, +$1 for large), among others.

The fried tofu with garlic soy sauce is a new and particularly tasty addition since the move. As is the onigiri bento box ($4) with rice balls, fried chicken, egg and pickles.

The shoyu ramen ($4), soy-based and thin-noodled, is a flavour sensation, owing much to its homemade broth.

According to the chef’s daughter and waitress Kotomi Yahata, shoyu is a speciality of central Hokkaido and the shoyu ramen has been popular ever since Spring Vale’s former incarnation opened in 2011.

“We were the only people making Japanese food in Russian Market then,†reminisced Kotomi before listing several other Japanese eateries now in competition there.

She said the Yahata’s closed the restaurant for a few months while they dealt with some family issues before reopening last month in the new location.

Kotomi said that for the new spot, they never considered changing the oddly floral sounding name. Spring Vale is the name of a suburb of Melbourne, she said, where the Yahatas briefly lived before Cambodia.

“That’s the place where we first met Cambodian people,†said Kotomi as she brought over a $1 iced coffee. “We learned how to speak English and Khmer.â€

Spring Vale is located at #73 Street 450. It is open for lunch seven days a week from 11:30am-2:30pm.

Source:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/much-loved-japanese-lunch-spot-returns

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.