TorJay

Thousands fall for Korean work scam

TorJay
Thousands fall for Korean work scam
Mon, 9 September 2013

Alleged ringleaders of an overseas employment scam the Ministry of Labour says bilked thousands of clients out of money were charged with fraud in Phnom Penh on Friday.

Oun Sarath, 30, and Kim Sophat, 29, the director and marketing manager, respectively, of recruiting firm You Can Win Co Ltd, allegedly charged their clients $100 for forms the company advertised would permit them to legally work in South Korea, said Than Thavorak, an attorney representing the Ministry of Labour.

But the illegitimate forms the company sold were not authorised by the ministry, and provided clients no legal permission to work abroad.

Read more:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/thousands-fall-korean-work-scam

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Blackeye
      By Blackeye
      So if you're like me you sometimes have to send some funding overseas to friends or family. I've done it many ways, but in the recent past my service of choice, RemitHome, was consumed by transfast. The new outfit seemed not as good, but the rate was fine and they had no obvious issues so I let inertia rule and continued to use them. Until yesterday.

Raise your hand if you know what a phishing scam looks like.

I went to log in yesterday, and a page that said "we have sent you an email" opened, and I couldn't access the site. The email asked me to click a magic link and then the resulting page started off by asking for my login creds and then bank and credit card info. Does this sound at all familiar? This is precisely what a phishing scam would look like. But they are doing it to their own customers. Is it legit? I believe so. Is it a sign they don't take security seriously? In my opinion, absolutely yes. 

I'll never use them again, and I'd urge anyone here who uses them to consider their options. 

• TorJay
      By TorJay
      Ministry urges victims to come forth Mon, 16 September 2013 Mom Kunthear  
      Officials at the Ministry of Labour are encouraging thousands of alleged victims of an overseas employment scam to file complaints against the two men charged with defrauding them.

“Please, brothers and sisters who were cheated by You Can Win Co Ltd, hurry and file your complaints in order to demand compensation and punish the suspects,†reads a statement released Friday by Pich Sophoan, Labour Ministry secretary of state.

Police last week arrested Oun Sarath, 30, and Kim Sophat, 29, the respective director and marketing manager of You Can Win. The recruiting firm allegedly charged its clients $100 for forms the company advertised would permit them to legally work in South Korea.

But the bogus forms the company sold were not authorised by the ministry, and provided clients no legal permission to work abroad.

Although You Can Win is in the process of applying for a licence with the Ministry of Labour to provide vocational training, it lacks any authority to approve Cambodians to work abroad.

A Ministry of Labour investigation into You Can Win began in June, after the firm advertised the permits on Facebook, Than Thavorak, an attorney representing the Labour Ministry, told the Post last week.

Sarath and Sophat are in custody awaiting trial.

Source:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ministry-urges-victims-come-forth

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.