Blackeye

Sorry, but I'm computer illiterate. What is Cloud? Is it some kind of storage system? If I have an old computer hard-drive can I download all the info off of it I want to save?

Have a look at Google Drive

Parrothead

Sorry, but I'm computer illiterate. What is Cloud? Is it some kind of storage system? If I have an old computer hard-drive can I download all the info off of it I want to save?

It's like having a hard drive online that you can log on to, in order to access the files you have stored on it. It would come in handy say, if your hard drive completely failed. All your data would be stored on your cloud, for you to access later, once the computer was repaired. 

Some cloud services offer software that you can download and simply drag and drop to store your files. Of the four cloud services that I use, three offer syncing software. Those three are Copy (227 gigs available), Drive (15 gigs available) and Dropbox (4.13 gigs available). The other one I access solely online. That one is MEGA (50 gigs available). It is fairly easy to upload to MEGA, by using drag and drop. (The other three, I believe, offer this as well. If not, you can certainly upload directly, without using the syncing software.) However, with Copy, Drive and Dropbox, I can see what folders I have, as the file and folder tree are stored on my hard drive. Here is my current Dropbox folder and file list.

dropbox.jpg

Upon downloading and installing the synchronizing software, Copy, Drive and Dropbox will set up a main folder for you to store your files in on your computer. You may then create sub-folders within that main folder, in order to organize your files better. As you create folders and add files, the software will automatically upload the files for you, to its respective cloud. You may then share those folders, or specific files within folders, with others. The specific permissions you give others is entirely up to you. That is, you may share an entire folder, or only a specific file within that folder. 

By the way, you can set up each software to sync only what you wish to sync. All other folders will be emptied and / or deleted from the cloud, if you empty / delete them on your local computer. So, do keep that in mind.

Oh, I almost forgot something. As you can see above, I have quite a bit of space on my Copy account. Most of that space from referrals when someone joined and downloaded and installed the sync software. I think I started off with 20 gigabytes on that account. Unfortunately, most of the people I know, use Dropbox. So, I have gone back to using it for most things.

One thing that I really like about the syncing software is, if you and a friend are working on something together, or, if you wish to allow them to be able to upload files to folders, those same files will sync on your computer. Chan and I use clouds to send files back and forth to each other, on occasion. No need for flash / thumb drives, no need for attachments in emails. Just drag and drop on one computer, and it is automatically on the other one.

Before anyone suggests we just network the two machines, it isn't that often that we need to share data. I would, if necessary, though.

I hope I haven't confused you more, Dave, by posting this. 

Blackeye

One thing that I really like about the syncing software is, if you and a friend are working on something together, or, if you wish to allow them to be able to upload files to folders, those same files will sync on your computer. Chan and I use clouds to send files back and forth to each other, on occasion. No need for flash / thumb drives, no need for attachments in emails. Just drag and drop on one computer, and it is automatically on the other one.

Before anyone suggests we just network the two machines, it isn't that often that we need to share data. I would, if necessary, though.

I hope I haven't confused you more, Dave, by posting this. 

This is one thing that Cloud storage is actually really good for IMO. Collaboration at a distance is never easy but it's vastly simplified by these services. I have used them for this myself. 

As for deleting something and losing it both places, again score a point or two for my home NAS; it stores older versions of the file system image once every hour that I can go back to if need be, and it costs very little disk space to do so as it only stores "deltas" (changes) and the files that change are small and the changes even smaller over time. 

In case anyone is technically inclined it's running ZFS RaidZ2 with snapshots enabled, across 6 physical disks.  

Parrothead

This is one thing that Cloud storage is actually really good for IMO. Collaboration at a distance is never easy but it's vastly simplified by these services. I have used them for this myself.

I'm sure it benefits a person who is working, even more so than someone like me who is retired and is just piddling around withe various options like this, which just makes life a bit easier - and me a bit lazier. It's been a while since I needed to actually load something up on a flash drive to transfer to another computer.

• Like 1

Blackeye

I'm sure it benefits a person who is working, even more so than someone like me who is retired and is just piddling around withe various options like this, which just makes life a bit easier - and me a bit lazier. It's been a while since I needed to actually load something up on a flash drive to transfer to another computer.

I've just been running BTSync on my server and machines, in addition to keeping my users work area on the NAS. 

But then working in computer security has left me paranoid. 

Parrothead

But then working in computer security has left me paranoid.

How's it go? Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are NOT out to get you. :D

• Like 1

Blackeye

For what it's worth, this is the system I use to build my NAS systems; it's really quite good. 

• Like 1