• $1500usd-----$1750usd
    • $1750usd-----$2000usd
    • $2000usd-----$2500usd
    • $2500usd-----$3000usd
    • $3000usd-----$4000usd
    • #4000usd and above

KID

What is your budget in Cambodia----- poll

I know all members have different expenses and different quality of life levels but I am shooting for an average

Anyone who wants to submit a detailed budget---- that would be great also

Edited by KID

phuketrichard

i voted for $1,750 as that's the amount i spend in Cambodia or Thailand/month

NOTE  $650 of that is transferred to my daughter in university in the states so really

i average about $1,200/month for 2 of us

IN Cambodia i pay rent or hotel (about 2-3 months /year)

here i live free (house paid for)

I eat what i want an travel a feck of a lot  :-)

• Like 2

Parrothead

Like RIchard, I also chose $1,750 - $2,000. Realistically, I probably spend a little less than that. (I don't do well at keeping track of money, OR staying on a budget.) Either way, the current spending that I do is about to drop - a LOT.

Currently, I pay for apartment rental, water usage, power usage, internet (dongle) usage. At some point within the next couple / few / several months, I will drop the apartment rental, power, and water, I estimate, at that time, my monthly costs will drop to as little as $400 USD per month. Realistically, I think I am looking at $500 USD per month. But, I will see. (I would rather account for the fudge factor, rather than being too conservative in my estimates, here.)

Electricity is something that I find to be, on average, more costly here than when I lived in the Philippines. Of course, I did live in a home for a few months, where the electricity cost was a Godsend. Currently, we will pay 1,700r per month. Not a cheap rate for power, at .425c US per kilowatt hour.

At the moment, and mainly because I don't want to buy a lot more appliances just to take to the farm when we move there, we are living almost as simply as I did when I lived in a bed spacer room in the Philippines. Okay, maybe not quite that simple. The apartment is larger, the toilet and shower are INSIDE the apartment, and it is considerably more comfortable here. However, there is no refrigerator. We us an eskie (cooler / ice chest) to keep our "stuff" cold. We have a single burner stove on which Chan prepares meals. But, we are keeping it as simple as possible until we make the next move. Okay, drifting back.

Dining out, that is a big chunk of the budget. In fact, that will probably be the single largest expense that changes in the budget, after moving to the farm. Depending on whether you are with someone, will make a big difference. That is, unless you are the type who loves to cook. I don't. No, really. I do not cook, ever. Ever. On the rare occasion that I lived alone in the past, I dined out - just more frequently than if I were living with, or married to someone.

Anyway, give  this ol' South Georgia Redneck some time to get things sorted at the farm, and we will see, exactly, how much it costs me to live there each month. 

• Like 1

jimmyboy

huh, i can see i will need to bring more feed corn seeds for the chickens and pigs

• Like 1

Parrothead

I wanna see how Dicey replies to this. That guy could live on a dime, I think.

• Like 1

phuketrichard

split 4++ ways :-)

• Like 1

dicey eye

It seems I've posted my monthly expenses a few times already.

Most months Cowgirl, Oun, Aye and I live on between $650 to 750 per month depending on if school fees are due (every 3 months). The biggest money saver is eating at home - Cowgirl has a stipend of $8 per day to feed everyone, ($240 per month), all meals inclusive. And Khmers eat many more than 3 meals a day. A 50 kilo bag of rice lasts 4 months $8 per month, the tank of butane lasts 4 -5 months, $5 per month. So by not eating out we save a bunch of money. I'm a very moderate drinker - 2 beers per day 37 cents each, ($20 per month).

Our mini apartment is $55 per month, rent 2 side by side, ($110). One for the Cowgirl's family and one for Cowgirl and me.Electricity and water total about $53 per month. Internet dongle is $10 per month.And a $100 to the MIL to stay out of SHV, and that's $100 well spent, cause she can stir up strife easily. Oh and I usually give Cowgirl $20 for clothes every month. Gas for moto $30 per month.

Food   240

rice         8

Gas        5

beer     20

rent     110

Utilities  53

Internet  10

MIL       100

Clothes   20

gas         30

total        596

The other $100 is usually spent on trips to the Waterfall or the beach. A day at Kbah Chay waterfall usually runs $25 and also feeding the monkeys on Independence Hill.

Note: if I were living alone I reckon my monthly expenditures would be cut by $250 to 300.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1

Parrothead

Jesus. If I could live on that budget, I would save a damned bundle!

I usually spend $8 to $10 per meal, if not more, when dining out.

Beer budget is almost non-existent. I think I have consumed five beers this month, if that many.

Edited by Paul

dicey eye

No beer? Jack instead?

• Like 1

wdwflash

I find that cooking 90% of my own meals saves me a bunch. Since garbage/water/tv-cable is included in my lease I save there, my electric/usage rate is the lowest I've had since I've been here and a day at the beach is 5 min walk away so $0 there. Petrol seems to be my big expense, but I get a can of soda for every $10. so theres something of a saving there. The real up side for me, being from the US is not having to use money changers, losing money there and banks using the dollar in international transactions so there is no fluctuation in money. Staying in Thailand I always got screwed one way or another on money.

Paul, no beer? You know the Supreme Leader said that we have to drink more beer as beer is taxed and drinking more puts more money in the government treasury.

Edited by wdwflash
  • Like 1