Parrothead

Chicks, Feed & Medicine

Parrothead

While I was out today, I decided to take a look at a local shop and see what they had to offer. Here is the information they gave me:

2 day old chicks, 3,500r / each. They said they would discount the chicks to 3,300r if I buy 300 of them.

Feed for the chicks, 75,000r / 30 kilo bag. (Apparently, 10 chicks will consume one bag over the course of two months.)

Bear in mind, this is the first farm supply shop I have visited. So, I do not know where the prices are, in comparison with other shops.

The chicks, they claim, come from Thailand on the 13th of every month. 

I forgot my camera, but they had medicine (not sure of the price, as I forgot to ask) that is sold in 100g bags. It is called Enro 200.

PREVENTION: 100g is good for 40 kilos of feed, or 60-80 liters of drinking water for the flock.

TREATMENT: 100g is good for 20 kilos of feed or 40 liters of water for the flock.

Edited by Paul

Parrothead

So, now I am looking online for information on the main ingredient in the medicine - antibiotic & vitamins that the company wants to sell me for the chickens. 

Here is the name: Enrofloxacin

Now, here is some information I also found on the FDA website regarding Enrofloxacin being added to the water for chickens.

jimmyboy

You will likely get a better survival rate using the meds. Are the chicks a meat or egg breed?

Parrothead

You will likely get a better survival rate using the meds. Are the chicks a meat or egg breed?

TBH, I failed to ask. Any other questions you think I should ask, before purchasing them? Considering March 13th, as that is the delivery date for next month.

jimmyboy

I would try qnd get a few of each if they have. Most hatchery chickens in the region are meat birds. From what i have read not many people target egg production, it is like a by product.

These hatchery birds will be less disease resistant and more dependant on feed than village birds, so def use the medications, feed them good, keep them on clean straw, and dont let them out to run much.

a lot of the meat breeds can be colour sex link3d which allows you to buy males if your focus is on meat, or only hens if u dont like the sound of roosters at 0 dark 30 and want eggs

jimmyboy

Quail could also be worth growing. I guess you are looking at getting an incubator for balut production? Top dollar in that.

Edited by jimmyboy

Parrothead

The place we are looking at buying from told us that we just get what we get, in the way of which birds are male and which are female, when we buy them. Apparently, they do not sex the birds before they ship them over here from Thailand. I am in hopes that, due to them being from Thailand, that they are of better quality blood lines.

I can't believe I forgot to take a photo of the birds. But, we were talking and I did. But, I did get images of the maintenance and medicines:

Note: The red bottle and the green box are not the same. A black bottle, with very difficult to read lettering, came in the green box. I believe it was all in Thai anyway.

For eye infections?

IMG_0449.jpg

Regular maintenance vitamins

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

If the flock gets sick, either of the ones below would work, according to the guy.

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

I'm going to do a bit of research and see if I can verify what he told us today, just to make sure. 

Edited by Paul

jimmyboy

Looks like it is pretty modern. Yes, you will get much better stock from the breeder, however, you will have to continue to buy chicks, as these birds will be hybrids.

Parrothead

however, you will have to continue to buy chicks, as these birds will be hybrids.

For hens to serve just as layers, that will be fine. But, i will want to breed my own as well. I don't expect to have to buy, all in all, 1,000 chicks.

jimmyboy

Better locate some pure bred birds then

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Randy (or Randi) about to meet its siblings.

Brewster the Rooster, nails anything in sight.

First and second hens setting.

The third hen setting on her eggs.

Broody hen looking for "her" nest.

Chicks arriving home.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Our original "two day old chicks" purchased on the 25th of March, and our 41 additional chicks purchased five days later, are all now 70 days old, or 10 weeks, one day old. 

One died from wrye neck. One was given away to a family member last week. So, we are now down to 59 birds of the original flock.

This flock is now on their 3rd sack of 30 kilos of maintainer feed, plus 1 sack of 30 kilos of grower feed, plus 5 kilos of grower feed on the day we bought the first 20 birds. So, all in all, they have consumed most all of that feed (the current sack has only been feeding them for two days), plus various fruits and veggies we have given them along the way.

The largest chickens are over 1.5 kilograms. The smallest are over 1.0 kilograms

Each full sack has cost us $18.75, plus $3.75 for the first 5 kilos. This comes to a total of $78.75, plus fruits and veggies in the amount of $22.00.

So, about $100.00 USD to raise 61 chickens to twelve weeks old. (Bear in mind, the current sack of feed will last almost two weeks.)

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I have been doing some extensive research online, trying to learn everything I can about chicks, hens and roosters. 

Members here, as well as on other sites, have offered some good information, links, and other data to help me out. I will start listing some of that in this thread, for those interested. This list will be a rolling list. I will add additional useful resources, as I find them. 

Online Forums / Groups:
      Chicken Forum / Site
      Backyard Chickens Forum / Site

Informational eBooks:

Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research
      Improving Village Chicken Production Part 1 (PDF)
      Improving Village Chicken Production Part 2 (PDF)
      Improving Village Chicken Production Part 3 (PDF)
      Improving Village Chicken Production Part 4 (PDF)

The Chicken Health Handbook (PDF)
      Small Scale Chicken Production (PDF)
      The Joy of Keeping Chickens (PDF)
      Choosing and Keeping Chickens (PDF)
      Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (PDF)
      Water Requirements for Poultry (PDF)

Chicken Coop / Brooder / Tractor Plans:
      Laying Nests (PDF)
      Chicken Tractor (PDF)
      300 Hen Laying House (Part 1) (PDF)
      300 Hen Laying House (Part 2) (PDF)

Anatomy / Incubation Period Images:
      Chicken Anatomy (RAR) - 5 files
      Chicken Incubation / Gestation Period Calendar (Image) 

Medical Information:
      Wry Neck Chickens - Image results for comparison

All files are hosted on a cloud account. But, I have them stored locally as well.
      If, for any reason, you are unable to download any of the above listed files, please click the "Report" button under this post, and let me know which file(s) you are having problems with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.