Kaz

Kaz - Hi, I'm a Newbie - Heading for Cambo. :)

Kaz

Hi everyone, I just dicovered this forum yesterday and thought it a great idea to join.  Thanks team/ Kenny for fixing me up with membership. :)

I know you guys there are so helpful for those who are moving into a new zone - Snooky for me... and hope it's what I expect -- which is very little of course so I guess I won't be disppointed.  ;) 

Anyway, just wanted to intro myself and to say g'day and will try to fit into the new community.

I'm retired now, am a bit of a struggling screenwriter though I can do that anywhere... and I'm obviously not rich else I'd be heading for Bora Bora... lol.. though I am working on that one. :D

So, I arrive late Feb '14 through SR and looking for long term rentals. Not doing the touristy thing, just did that in Chiang Mai / Phuket already.

Cheers - and btw, I don't look like the given Avi here.  LOL.

Kaz. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

You could get a lot of work - just from the members alone, if you were a psychologist. :D 

• Like 4

Guest Kenny

Just ask Kaz, and someone will be bound to have the answer.

wdwflash

You either love or hate Snooky, I love it. Its got everything I want/need (except a good hospital, you've got to think of that when you get old.) I too am retired and was headed to Ko Samui to retire (30+ years of going there), but lucked out and found Snooky. If you get away from the tourist beach's and bars its a nice town/city. There are a couple beachs in town where few tourists go, but can get full with Khmers on holidays and weekends. There is one decent western style market (Somadera's), one fair clinic (CT clinic), cheap services like haircuts ($1 to $3.), at least one decent Khmer auto-repair shop (friends of mine and honest as it gets), and cheap beer ($.50 and up)

The downside is the three to five hour bus/taxi ride to Phnom Penh on Highway #4 (death highway to hell.) Cambodia airlines tried to start up, but was blocked by Cambodia Ankor-Air, as Ankor is owned by the Vietnamese and Cambodia Air 49% by Philippine Air. (Vietnam runs Cambodia) Cambodia had plans to fly regular/daily flights Snooky/PP/Snooky, and later Bangkok, China and maybe Singapore. (would have been nice.)

I know of two bungalow systems being built (I live in one) and this group is 5 min. walk to the beach. You can rent/lease a Khmer style apartment/house but you will have to put up with loud Khmer weddings/funerals, noise, theft, traffic, etc, the bungalow systems don't allow the loud noises, are walled and have guards at night. (petty theft is big here.)

I know there are those that say it is not, but Snooky to me is Thailand 30 years ago, Same same, but different.

Have a look at Independence beach if you like beach's (by tuk-tuk, they all know where its at). Hawaii beach is quiet except on Khmer holidays. (its the beach just north of Independence beach and the one I walk to in 5 min.) Occeuteal beach (downtown) is were its happening at night,(Jam's Bar, Dolphin Shack, JJ's), but I find it polluted and full of beggers and people pestering you to buy things during the day. Otres, is just out of town south and is a long beach full of backpacker/flashpacker  accommodations/bars.

Lots of restaurants in any price range. Olive and Olive a new one just west of the golden lion circle has been getting good reviews. In Snooky there is everything from Khmer food to "happy" pizza's, but there are no true Naples style Pizza's or T-bone steaks. (lots of pizza places but sub-grade.) "Maybe Later" just up from the beach on Serendipity Road is friendly and gives a good go at Mexican food. There is not as much street food in Cambodia as in Thailand and I attribute that to the Khmer-rouge killing off all the cooks/street-cooks and no one to teach the following generations. Speaking of Khmer-Rouge, there is a decidedly smaller percentage of older people here because of them. The head-honcho of Cambodia is ex-Khmer-Rouge, go figure!

Enjoy!

jimmyboy

Welcome Kaz

Kaz

Thanks so much for the welcome!  Hi Jimmy Boy, wdwflash, Kenny & Paul.  And everyone else. :)

And excellent info too for @wdwflash.  :) :) :)

Location was something I didn't know of.  So yes, that's cool.

Yes, I heard that you either love or hate Snooky. I'm betting on the former for me. lol.  And good to learn that there are tuk tuks there also. 

Am scared of dogs... yep, into the jaws of 'death' I go. Ahhh, what can I say? lol :killself:  Ah well, you only live once... might as well go for it.

What does attract me too is the lack of Visa ha.ssles... such a pain everywhere else.  (is the swear filter on?).

But I like the beaches anyway... coming from Sydney originally so it's in the DNA so they say.

Edited by Kaz

dicey eye

Lived in Cambodia nearly 6 yrs, resided in 3 towns and have found SHV mighty fine. Relaxed pace, near beautiful country side, ie, Ream, Kbal Chhay waterfall and the 6 beaches surrounding SHV peninsula. I pay $55 per month for an apartment I find very comfortable. Overall SHV is nice.

• Like 1

Kaz

Oh, good price!!  That I find excellent.  So how does one go about getting one like yours? What is the location if you don't mind me asking dicey eye?

JohnOBohn

First you need to get a long term hotel room (say1 month) then look around/talk to the resident guys.  Travel around town to decide what area you want, then look for accomadations in your budget.   Either Charlie Harpers or Snookys for decent long term stay.

Been here almost 2 years and like it.   Drink & eat both places.  http://www.sihanoukvilleonline.com/forum/ this is Charlie Harpers site (Owner Tony).   this is Snookys https://www.facebook.com/roy.brown.52687506?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Owner is Roy

• Like 1

Kaz

Thanks John for the advice. Terrific. :)