John_Galt

Coming Soon

Parrothead

after all, 99% of all posts here asking questions about living/working in Cambodia have  been answered before so all one needs do is run a search.

That may or may not be true.

But, firstly, one needs to keep in mind that this forum doesn't give the new members grief, like some of the "rocket scientists" on 440.

And, secondly, why try to push someone to another forum, when you can answer it here for them just as well?

phuketrichard

i am not pushing him to another fourm but helping him with his questions ( ike a good member should) :-)

440 has a vast amont of info.  u dont need to even post to get it.

having answers from 1 or 2 members here  vs responses to the same question from lots of posters. 

Your call.

Parrothead

LOL. Maybe not so "lots of posters" these days.

John_Galt

Thanks for the links very helpful. I will only read on 440 and not post because I don't like how they treat new people. (I am not a peace loving Hippy I promise) Also I really appreciate how you guys treat new people and how quickly questions get answered.

I know alot of post here and elsewhere are about getting a job in Cambodia but I think that it is the biggest concern of people moving away from home and into a foreign country. (unless they are rich)

I do have a question about differences in culture. (I will be searching google)

What are some of the biggest culture shocks about living in cambodia?

Also what about little things like opening/closing a door with you feet, patting someone on the head, or using your left hand? Anything like that I should be aware of?

• Like 1

Parrothead

Thanks for the links very helpful. I will only read on 440 and not post because I don't like how they treat new people. (I am not a peace loving Hippy I promise) Also I really appreciate how you guys treat new people and how quickly questions get answered.

Well, if you are going to run a forum, and are going to put the site out there to help people, that is what you should do. Alienating those coming to the site for assistance is NOT the way to go.

I know alot of post here and elsewhere are about getting a job in Cambodia but I think that it is the biggest concern of people moving away from home and into a foreign country. (unless they are rich)

Personally, this is the last place I want to work. I live here, but I am far from rich. I was just fortunate enough to be able to retire while I was still young (34). I originally retired to the Philippines. I have only been here just under two years. Probably won't make it three, unless some things change, though. And, I am starting to miss the Philippines again.

I do have a question about differences in culture. (I will be searching google)

What are some of the biggest culture shocks about living in cambodia?

Also what about little things like opening/closing a door with you feet, patting someone on the head, or using your left hand? Anything like that I should be aware of?

You got me on all that you mentioned there. I know that Khmers go out of their way to touch me or rub my belly. (I feel like a Buddha statue, sometimes.) I'm sure it is for good luck, or good fortune.

• Like 1

John_Galt

The examples I gave about differences in culture were just examples nothing specific to Cambodia. Just looking to see if their is anything like that.

Thats great you got to retire at 34. Maybe I can too in 7 years. But for now if I want to live outside the USA for more than a year or 2 I will have to get some kind of job. If its teaching english, something else or working online (lots of scams though) its all fine with me. I am looking for quality of life. Not necessarily a high standard of living.

Thanks for all the great info.

Parrothead

The examples I gave about differences in culture were just examples nothing specific to Cambodia. Just looking to see if their is anything like that.

Thats great you got to retire at 34. Maybe I can too in 7 years. But for now if I want to live outside the USA for more than a year or 2 I will have to get some kind of job. If its teaching english, something else or working online (lots of scams though) its all fine with me. I am looking for quality of life. Not necessarily a high standard of living.

Thanks for all the great info.

I can't say it is a culture shock, having lived among SE Asians for going on a decade and a half. But, one thing that irritates the hell out of me, specific to Cambodia, is that they celebrate EVERYTHING in their lives. Not so much the celebration, but the 150 decibel speakers - at 5am. They celebrate everything from weddings, to births, to deaths, to this every phase of the moon thing (I still don't quite get). Whenever any of these events happen, they MUST have speakers the size of a small car, along with music - oh yeah, it's not complete without the music pounding out of the speakers. I'm glad I am awake at those hours anyway, or you would probably have read about me already - being imprisoned here.

Oh, I almost forgot. You don't have to worry about a power cut getting in the way of any of the aforementioned celebrations. They run generators big enough to provide every single watt they need.

People (expats) who live in the Philippines, bitch and complain about Karaoke joints. Man, those do not hold a candle to the celebration music levels we deal with here.

Edited by Paul

John_Galt

Not so much the celebration, but the 150 decibel speakers - at 5am.

5am would definitely be annoying. Sounds like they all have to have the biggest and loudest speakers to have a party.

Out of curiosity how often would you say this happens? Close enough to you to be loud and annoying.

Parrothead

Khmers, like most Southeast Asians, are pretty superstitious. They do not believe in getting married during the rainy season. Not sure what the deal is there. But, after about April / May, we will be good for several months.

Otherwise? Jeez, man. You hear them R E G U L A R L Y. Sometimes, two or three will be within close enough range to at least hear, if not irritate the hell out of you.

I tell ya, I don't recall seeing as many weddings as I have witnessed here, anywhere else in the country. I certainly do not recall as many during my time in Sihanoukville. Here, it seems that everyone is getting married. Crazy. Almost every single day, you hear some sort of "celebration" going on.

I have never prayed so hard in my life, for rain to come.

Edited by Paul

phuketrichard

john;

if i were u i would take the money u have and travel,  Not just head to Cambodia/find a place to live/job.

enjoy ur life

OR

IN fact if i was ur age i would get my toefl in Thailand an head to Burma NOT Cambodia ( where there are already to mnay unqualified  english teachers.

with only hs degree,u must know at some point u need to return to school an get a degree. doesn't really matter what it is in but u need that now adays ( its not like 20-30 years ago)

as to culture shock, cant help u as i started travelling when i was 16 out of the states and nothing really shocks me anymore  :-)