John_Galt

Coming Soon

John_Galt

Thanks that is some great info. Cambodia sounds like the easiest country to get visa's in and maintain.  

Parrothead

So far that I have found. That's after living more than eleven years in the Philippines, and having to deal with the BI there every danged two months. Crazy.

Ubik

Also anything about Burma? for or against.

Thanks guys great info

Concerning myanmar, setting there is way more difficult that cambodia (that's why i am today in phnom penh instead of yangoun):

- cheap accomodation at arrival: very easy to find in pp, in my (limited) experience very difficult in yangoun, hotels prices went way up during the last two years. An nice khmer hotel at 25 usd/day or around 500 usd/month is easy to find, in yangoun the same hotel will be 50 or 60 usd / days. Yangoun hotels in the 30 usd /25 usd range can be found, but you get backpacker minimal comfort hotel or short time hotels.

- visa situation is simple & cheap in cambodia, in myanmar best case you can get seventy days visa, and then need to do visa runs: time consuming and expensive if you factor visa and plane cost (i do not know the situation there if you get full "real" employment, any comment will be appreciated).

- long term rental: easy to setup in pp without difficultie (even if the quality /price ratio is worse than in bangkok), in myanmar as far as I know without a full employment proof and a lot of paperwork it is not possible, you are stuck to hotels (anybody with better info please correct me).

- job perspectives: it coulb be argued that the perspectives are better in myanmar in some sectors, just the entrance barriers are much higher than cambodia (which may means less competition too from other farangs ?).

- cost of living: myanmar is maybe to cambodia what cambodia is to thailand: cheaper if you live the local way, more expensive when you go for european goods or comforts.

Overall I feel that myanmar is more the place to go with a specific job in hand/investment project, cambodia is easier if you want to take your time without hassles.

• Like 1

John_Galt

you are stuck to hotels

Did not know this. Good information.

Myanmar sounds like it may become better in the future but for now I think Cambodia wins. 

Thanks Ubik for the detailed reply. 

dicey eye

I lived in Myanmar 3 almost 4 years ago. I loved it. BUT the visa situation is horrible - even if you have a one year visa, which I had, I was still required to leave the country every 2 1/2 months which necessitated a flight to BKK.

When I was there it was very cheap to live in a hybrid local/western manner. I was able to save nearly 2/3 of my salary and still supported a Myanmar common law wife and 4 members of her family in my rented house. Normally all schools pay 100% of your visa and travel expenses

Back then there was no freedom of movement and Big Brother with its network of snitches knew your every move.

Great country, great people, BUT the women are by far the most jealous and physically violent I've run into in SE Asia. Reminds me of my Honduran common law in the 80s.

My suggestion is: think twice before shacking up with a local gal. I still have vivid memories of being chased around the yard by my machete wielding GF with bloody murder in her eye.

Edited by dicey eye

Rain Dog

Hey John,  I hope you make it to Cambodia.

If  Phnom Penh -- budget $1,000 per month living cost for modest but comfortable lifestyle.  This should cover apartment, food, utilities, phone, occasional transport (moto or Tuk Tuk)  and a few nights out per month.  As to the apartment budget, the rates you state will not work here in PP.  They might get you a lower end unit of the apartments for locals --- dark hallway going upstairs to a one room flat with no windows and only a padlock hinge for security.    You would be the only "barang" (foreigner) there, would stand out like a sore thumb, and likely be robbed with in days.  Unless you want to do a flat-share with someone you probably need to look at $250 per month to get at anything remotely close to a worthwhile place to live and realistically $300-$350.   Electricity is not cheap either and if you are running air-con every night you could well go over $100 per month --- so best if you can adapt to the heat and rely on fans instead.  Food is also not cheap here --- dining out not so bad but groceries quite expensive.  So unless you are eating salted fish and rice every day, expect to pay a bit.

You can find plenty of guesthouses for short term stays at around $15-$20 per night, and cheaper if you negotiate on a longer stay. Best you come for a month and look around first.

Cambodia people are pretty  straightforward and unpretentious here and although their are numerous cultural traits the people generally are not as sensitive about them as people in some other countries are.  That said --- face is important here and life is cheap so avoid escalating any conflicts.

Cambodia is quite a big jump for someone who has never been out of the USA first. Most people try training wheels, learn to ride a bike, and maybe a scooter before jumping on  Harley.  So think it through.  A lot of people come here and crash and burn --- it's not big news --- just another footnote in a long list of tragic events involving lost souls.

Edited by Rain Dog
  • Like 2

John_Galt

@ Rain Dog Thanks for the detailed post.

one room flat with no windows and only a padlock hinge for security.

I would like an apartment with windows and thats relatively safe. So if I do end up staying in Phnom Penh I will get a better apartment.

Electricity is not cheap either and if you are running air-con every night you could well go over $100 per month

Yea AC is nice but not worth it at 40 cents a kwh. I will get used to the local temperature. 

Best you come for a month and look around first.

Exactly what I'm going to do which ever city I end up in.

Cambodia people are pretty  straightforward and unpretentious here and although their are numerous cultural traits the people generally are not as sensitive about them as people in some other countries are.  That said --- face is important here and life is cheap so avoid escalating any conflicts.

That is some damn good advice and can be a topic all by itself.

Cambodia is quite a big jump for someone who has never been out of the USA

I'm not going to burn any bridges at home and plan on staying in Cambodia for 3 months. In that time period I should be able to tell if I like it or hate it. If I hate it I will return home and resume my current life (at least I will have tried). If I like it I'm staying (insert ominous sound effect here)

John_Galt

Well there is no doubt whatsoever of my coming to Cambodia. I will not trade liberty for safety. Well if you have nothing to hide IS NOT an answer.

I understand Cambodia has different laws and morals and is corrupt (at least in the sense of bribery). But It will be my choice to live there. I also have no desire to change the locals to my way of thinking they have their own culture. 

I had to vent at least a little after hearing this court decision.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/supreme-court-pennsylvania-cops-no-longer-need-a-warrant-to/article_6a407fc6-d077-11e3-8025-0017a43b2370.html

• Like 1

Parrothead

I do not know what the hell is happening to our country. But, it isn't good, that's for damned sure.

jimmyboy

cambodia has laws?