John_Galt

Coming Soon

John_Galt

Paul do they have karaoke at these parties or is that just a stereotype?

puketrichard I don't expect $5,000-10,000 will allow me to stay anywhere for that long. It will allow me to get there and get established.

What is the reason why you suggest Burma (Myanmar) over Cambodia? Or is it only because of the ease of teaching English? 

About going back to school and getting a degree. I will pass I know it will help but I do not wish to pay $20,000+(at a community college) a year for a piece of paper. I would much rather use the library or the internet and educate myself. 

I don't want to turn this in to a political debate or one about big government but that is the main reason why I am leaving the USA. 

From what I can tell big brother is not in Cambodia yet...

In Cambodia can I live my life and not even know the government exists? Other than local police and for the yearly visa renewal.   

Parrothead

Oh no. Karaoke Bars are here AS WELL. :D There is one not too far from our apartment. But, to be fair to them, they do not go overboard. I have never had a reason to complain - not yet anyway, and we have been in this apartment since the first part of November, last year. 

Regarding western politics, you are correct. Regarding coming to SE Asia, as long as we keep our noses clean and stick to legal activities, I don't think these various governments really give two shits as to what we are doing while in their respective countries.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

phuketrichard

Burma is new and there will be a high demand for english teachers, ( i have 2 friends living there already)

Rather than go somewhere that it will be hard to ever get above the ground floor (cambodia- to many english teachers) go where its new and start at the ground floor with the chance to move up.

as to college costs, ur way off, my daughter is at Sonoma state an pays less than $8,000/year in tutition an gets grants totalling over $12,000

To move up in the world people want see that piece of paper. ( unless ur one in ten million)

HE is not only big brother but father, brother, dictactor,etc but as a Barang ur outside the system, for now

John_Galt

Regarding coming to SE Asia, as long as we keep our noses clean and stick to legal activities, I don't think these various governments really give two shits as to what we are doing while in their respective countries.

Good I won't have any problem then. I don't drink or do drugs. I'm not going to run guns. No prostitutes. (STD's are bad mmmkay) And I am definitely not going to buy a woman from the chicken farm find out she is a druggie then try and return her. (I read that story on the forum somewhere funny story)

as to college costs, ur way off, my daughter is at Sonoma state an pays less than $8,000/year in tutition an gets grants totalling over $12,000

That does not sound like I'm way off  still around 20k also I am a single white guy. And single white guys need not apply for grants in the USA. Women and minorities only. Though there is always student loans. (that I would have to pay for the rest of my life)

( unless ur one in ten million)

I'm at least one in a million maybe two  :D 

If Burma is going to be needing more english teachers wouldn't there be an exodus or the "lowest" english teachers? from Cambodia

Also I have looked at pictures of apartments In Burma no where near as nice as Cambodia. (Every individual location is different)

Anyone have any comments for or against Burma?

How easy or hard is it to ship items out of Cambodia? Basically if I buy locally made items and send them back to the USA. Exporting on a small scale.

• Like 1

Parrothead

How easy or hard is it to ship items out of Cambodia? Basically if I buy locally made items and send them back to the USA. Exporting on a small scale.

This has crossed my mind as well. I have only shipped out of the country, using EMS.

Side note: I pretty much receive only that way as well. I have received tons of packages here, by the way, with no issues to date.

John_Galt

Side note: I pretty much receive only that way as well. I have received tons of packages here, by the way, with no issues to date.

Its good to know that shipping is at least reliable.

Anyone know anything about exporting from Cambodia? (small scale, suitcase size packages)

Also anything about Burma? for or against.

Thanks guys great info

• Like 1

John_Galt

^^^Something to look into...

You go to Mexico you don't drink the water. Anything like that in Cambodia? Anyone get sick when they first got to Cambodia? 

From what I have read so far if you use your head and you should be fine.

Parrothead

^^^Something to look into...

You go to Mexico you don't drink the water. Anything like that in Cambodia? Anyone get sick when they first got to Cambodia? 

From what I have read so far if you use your head and you should be fine.

I'm a rare case. Maybe I have a cast iron stomach? Who knows? While I can't eat anything spicy, I can drink just about anything without getting sick. However, food, sometimes, will make me sick, although not very often.

John_Galt

I have a question about visa's and travel agencies.

From what I can tell to renew your visa one year or otherwise all you have to do is go to a "travel agency" and have them do it for you.

Do you have to give them your passport? And how trustworthy are they? Anyone ever have problems?

Parrothead

I have a question about visa's and travel agencies.

From what I can tell to renew your visa one year or otherwise all you have to do is go to a "travel agency" and have them do it for you.

Do you have to give them your passport? And how trustworthy are they? Anyone ever have problems?

Yes sir. That's all ya do. In my case, I go to the local Police Station, believe it or not, here in Battambang. They take my passport and one passport sized photo, along with the money for the extension. Then, I wait oh, four days? They ring me back and we go fetch the passport with the new stamp in it. 

I have found them trustworthy. Nothing happened to my passport. But, they don't issue a receipt, like Nay did in Sihanoukville, at Mottah Travel. She did mine, previously, when I lived there. Always had it when she said she would. Never any issues.