rddpp

Been living in PP for 8 years

phuketrichard

on the land/house i own with my gf in Svang Rieng it 920/

the house we own in Kep ( with her sister) its 1,100/

compare to Phuket where i pay 485 riel/

and free mountain water  :-)

jimmyboy

yes, but there will soon be civil war there.

They announced it on CNN.

Civil war planned for Songkran.

just when our guvnor was lining them up to accept some stinkin criminal refugees.

Parrothead

You'll find that the actual rate in PP now is 820.. I actually pay 900 to my landlord. This annoys me a bit and we have discussed it before, but since 2006 my rent (on a very nice 2 br apartment near the Russian Market) has risen from $130 to $150 a month. So I don't rock the boat, always have my rent prepaid around 6 months in advance and live happily.

My g/f actually lives in rural Prey Veng province and I think her actual cost is around 1300 a kwh. To put everything in perspective, in Melbourne the cost is around 1000 a kwh but supply charges are high (so you pay even if you use nothing). Water here nearly costs as much as electricity.. crazy but it is a dry continent and they try and limit usage by charging a lot. I think my water bill in PP is around 15000 a month.

As far as Khmer 440 goes, I joined to refute a story that was published about a girl who was murdered....the only time I've ever posted on it.

I recall living in a small place years ago, in Cebu City, Philippines. My wife and I had to go up on our rent ourselves, because our landlord wouldn't. We knew what the other units around us were paying, and finally just increased it to the same rental. 

We pay, and have paid the entire time in Battambang, 2,000r / M3 for water. It seems very dear to someone, for sure. 

rddpp

It was actually amusing the first (and only time). It was probably about 4 years ago and he (the actual son in law who lived with the parents downstairs) came up and asked whether I was prepared to pay $20 a month more. I said that was fine, given cost increases... but he should remember that my rent was actually paid 10 months in advance. I could have refused but didn't as it was under the odds for the area.

He uses me a bit like a bank.. I get the odd "I need to borrow some money" request from time to time. I wont lend money straight out but will add an extra month or 2 on the prepayment. So he stays happy and I think I'm paid up until October at the moment.

Now Kosal, his name, is well educated, an accountant with a pretty good job but he couldn't get his head around a budget. I showed him what I do to budget and he now uses the same spreadsheet I set up and reports that all is working well.

It's also very handy having a well connected landlord. Very handy indeed.

As to water, I think I might be paying 1500 a unit, so 2000 is not so bad. I have no idea of the actual cost .. I've never tried to find out as it is a $5 to $7.50 bill per month.

Ross

• Like 2

Parrothead

When we first moved into this house, I thought the additional $200 USD was for a deposit. It isn't. It is the last month's rent. So, say we started in January, we just pay February - November. January and December are paid up when we moved in.