Parrothead

So, I went to the farm supply house today...

Parrothead

They have about 300 chicks, all from the same lot as ours, that were never picked up. Man, I would be pissed beyond belief, if someone did that after ordering chicks from me.

Note to self: Make sure I get money in advance, before taking any orders for birds, eggs, etc. 

Anyway, they want $1.50 each, for the birds. I tried to talk them down a bit, to $1.00 each. I would have bought a number of them. But, they were not negotiable. I'm still tempted to buy a few of them, just to experiment with at the farm.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

jimmyboy

they probably ate at least that much.

phuketrichard

FYI:

asked my gf and she said they never ever paid for chicks, just went around to neighbors and got them for free.

Hers free roam as well.  Dont pay fo feed.  currently have about 100

when they get bigger sell for 1 kilo 10-12,000 riel,

they dont sell eggs

This is in Svay Rieng

• Like 1

Parrothead

FYI:

asked my gf and she said they never ever paid for chicks, just went around to neighbors and got them for free.

Hers free roam as well.  Dont pay fo feed.  currently have about 100

when they get bigger sell for 1 kilo 10-12,000 riel,

they dont sell eggs

This is in Svay Rieng

Yeah. Most chickens I find here are free ranging chickens. But, I don't want free ranging chickens. I want to know what they eat and where they go - or rather where they DON'T go. They are more susceptible to diseases if they free range. They can contract something from other birds they may come in contact with - like what happened to our previous flock. 

God only knows what the little guys will eat, too, while they are free ranging. If they are confined within a certain area, I will know everything they eat. I want to raise the strongest, healthiest chickens Cambodia.

Khmers tend to not take care of them as well. I don't see them administering medicines, regular vitamins, or controlling what they eat. I want to change that, at least within her family, if not on a larger scale. 

Edited by Paul

dicey eye

They sound like they're spoiled.

• Like 1

phuketrichard

Paul

there fecking chickens!!!

not kids :snap:

• Like 1

Parrothead

And they will be the best tasting chickens in this country. :)

What do you say, James?

jimmyboy

over 90% of poultry and eggs on the planet are produced in intensive or semi intensive systems.

The genetics of these birds are controlled by 5 companies globally. selection is for feed conversion efficiency.

your village birds are what they call scavenging flocks.

characterized by high mortality and low productivity.

In Cambodia, 40-70% of these flocks die annually from disease because they don't medicate.

Selection is for survival, disease resistance and ability to self reproduce.

grandma's "free range" chickens were housed and fed, and allowed to roam for a few hours in the afternoon, not kept in the hunter gatherer  mode practised in SE Asia.

if you feed and medicate any livestock you will get a better result.

you dont see any viable companies keeping chickens on the village principles do you?

there are reasons for that. :-)

They also don't practice integrated pest management and crop rotation - does that mean it is good tactics? Or - just that they are ignorant and have no money to invest in modern methods.

you guys are trying to advance an opinion that village methods are somehow better than modern? well, i guess the little people will soon run the world.

Ha!

phuketrichard

while i agree chicks that are raised, feed and watched over will most likely produce a healthier, fatter, Happier chick

at the end of the day  90% of chicks raised in villagess across asia are for home consumption and they dont have the $$ for feeding them or medicating them.

so what if a few die..

Boils down to are you raising these chicks as a business or.....

I can buy a full cooked BBQ chicken here for about $4.5

jimmyboy

FAO kind of agrees with you Richard, for subsistence purposes.

However, poultry business for profit in the developing world has been one of the rare and notable success stories in the decades of attempted aid.

I am sure this was discussed in your Peace Corps service :-)

In the business  of poultry raising for profit , enhanced genetics, home produced feeds, improved housing and purchased vaccines have proven quite successful with enormous growth in Africa  over the past 25 years.