Parrothead

Our first flock of chickens, purchased 25th, March, 2014.

Parrothead

Our original "two day old chicks" purchased on the 25th of March, and our 41 additional chicks purchased five days later, are all now 70 days old, or 10 weeks, one day old. 

IMG_1075r.jpg

IMG_1076r.jpg

IMG_1077r.jpg

IMG_1078r.jpg

One died from wrye neck. One was given away to a family member last week. So, we are now down to 59 birds of the original flock.

This flock is now on their 3rd sack of 30 kilos of maintainer feed, plus 1 sack of 30 kilos of grower feed, plus 5 kilos of grower feed on the day we bought the first 20 birds. So, all in all, they have consumed most all of that feed (the current sack has only been feeding them for two days), plus various fruits and veggies we have given them along the way.

The largest chickens are over 1.5 kilograms. The smallest are over 1.0 kilograms

Each full sack has cost us $18.75, plus $3.75 for the first 5 kilos. This comes to a total of $78.75, plus fruits and veggies in the amount of $22.00.

So, about $100.00 USD to raise 61 chickens to twelve weeks old. (Bear in mind, the current sack of feed will last almost two weeks.)

• Like 3

jimmyboy

so your cash input is about $1.60 per bird right?

and average sale price is $5?

decent margin even after labour and cost of sale?

Parrothead

Well, to be honest, they aren't the highest maintenance animals to keep. I wouldn't complain if we could end up with $2.50 to $3.00 profit per bird. 

By the way, at twelve weeks, they will be every bit of 2.0 kilos, if not more.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Nothing ever works 100% of the time for you. This certainly includes all your chickens returning to the coop in the evening. Here, we often have as many as twenty to thirty chickens which end up outside, rather than returning to the coop at night.

Early this evening, I went out, and was going to close the door behind me. As I turned around to close the door, I noticed, just below the center of the door (there is a space in between the concrete stoop and the container), was a chicken. The bird was laying on the front center foundation support for the container. The odd thing was, me opening and closing the door, as well as stepping over the bird both coming and going, doesn't seem to bother the bird whatsoever.

I just went outside again, to have a look around the farm, just to make sure things looked okay. That same bird is still there, snoozing away like it has cotton in Augusta. I'm telling you, that door has been opened and closed at least a dozen times this evening. Either that chicken is deaf and blind, or it just doesn't care about what is going on around it. Beneath that entry doore is one of the strangest places I've ever seen a chicken sleep. 

Apologies: I tried to get a photo of the bird. But, the lighting - and my shitty camera skills, just didn't permit a quality enough image to post. 
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Randy, the one in the hatching video (posted at the bottom of this post), is the first chick to successfully hatch in the incubator. The other seven in this video were hatched by a hen.

Randy and siblings, in the coop at the house.
      They will be moved to the farm very soon.
      Randy is the cockerel standing on the piece of wood at the end of this video.
      14 more chicks will be put in the coop in their place.

Randy, the day he hatched, July 3rd, 2014.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Since we began raising Silkies in May, we have slowly gravitated toward them as our exclusive chickens. They are easy to raise, the hens seem to make good mothers, and the Chinese (and others) apparently love this breed over all others to eat. 

Recently, we brought two of these little guys from the farm, as we are keeping the larger chicks - a couple months old, up to full grown chickens, at the farm. In this case, I am very happy that we did. Most of the Silkies tend to shy away from us naturally. However, these two little guys have been like children ever since we got them to the house.

You can hold them indefinitely. They will stay in your hand as long as you let them. They love to be held and will chirp endlessly if put back in their box. Yep. Spoiled rotten already. Anyway, here are some photos of them from yesterday:

Born: July 28th, 2014
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Randy (or Randi) about to meet its siblings.

Brewster the Rooster, nails anything in sight.

First and second hens setting.

The third hen setting on her eggs.

Broody hen looking for "her" nest.

Chicks arriving home.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.