Rukai

Visa and teaching in Cambodia

Parrothead

Which Ordinary Visa will be best to get, a 3, 6, or 12 month? If I get a 3 month, will employers get nervous that I might leave the country after 3 month?

I saw some hotels in Cambodia for $6 usd a day. That's like $180-$186 dollars a month for rent. However, those hotels have good and bad reviews. Makes me think if I can just keep renting every day in one of those hotels?

I would get nothing short of a six month visa. The 6 and 12 month visas are multiple entry visas. You can come and go without having to buy a new visa upon entry back into Cambodia.

Hotels (guest houses) can be negotiated down for monthly rentals. You should be able to secure one for at least $150 USD / month, maybe less. Charlie Harper's, in Sihanoukville, I believe may have some for less than $150? Not sure, as you would have to verify that with him. 

Rukai

Phuketrichard,

Thank you the advice, and you are right, Asia is not for everyone! I was born in the Philippines, and I was there for a visit not to long ago. I'm half Italian and half Filipino, but I look more Italian (with very light brown skin) than Filipino. I have family in the Philippines, so hopefully I can retire there when I get older. By the way, if any of you are wondering, since I've been in the U.S. for so long, I do have an American accent.

Switching from being a programmer to a teacher will not be an easy move and I might not like being a teacher, but I won't know until I try. Plus, I can always go back into the IT world after my teaching job is done.

Silly question, but does anyone know if there are IT companies in Cambodia?

Paul,

Thanks for the link  :dance1:

Parrothead

Phuketrichard,

Thank you the advice, and you are right, Asia is not for everyone! I was born in the Philippines, and I was there for a visit not to long ago. I'm half Italian and half Filipino, but I look more Italian (with very light brown skin) than Filipino. I have family in the Philippines, so hopefully I can retire there when I get older. By the way, if any of you are wondering, since I've been in the U.S. for so long, I do have an American accent.

Switching from being a programmer to a teacher will not be an easy move and I might not like being a teacher, but I won't know until I try. Plus, I can always go back into the IT world after my teaching job is done.

Silly question, but does anyone know if there are IT companies in Cambodia?

Paul,

Thanks for the link  :dance1:

I doubt there are. I would be surprised if there were, in fact. 

Half Italian, half Filipino, with an American accent? Talk about a mut. :) I'm Romanian by blood line. An old Gypsie.

jimmyboy

mostly locals doing networking and HW support.

all software costs $5. inc adobe cs6.

quite a few freelance coders living in cambodia though.

Rukai

I would get nothing short of a six month visa. The 6 and 12 month visas are multiple entry visas. You can come and go without having to buy a new visa upon entry back into Cambodia.

Hotels (guest houses) can be negotiated down for monthly rentals. You should be able to secure one for at least $150 USD / month, maybe less. Charlie Harper's, in Sihanoukville, I believe may have some for less than $150? Not sure, as you would have to verify that with him. 

When it comes to renting a hotel monthly in Cambodia, I'm guessing electricity, water, etc. comes with the monthly bill?

I'm guessing Charlie Harper's username is Charlieharpersbar? 

I just want to say this, this website is waaay better than Khmer420. Khmer420 does have good information, but way too many rude people.

Thanks again.

Parrothead

When it comes to renting a hotel monthly in Cambodia, I'm guessing electricity, water, etc. comes with the monthly bill?

I'm guessing Charlie Harper's username is Charlieharpersbar? 

Not sure.

Yes. 

Rukai

I doubt there are. I would be surprised if there were, in fact. 

Half Italian, half Filipino, with an American accent? Talk about a mut. :) I'm Romanian by blood line. An old Gypsie.

I can switch my accent pretty easily, but I prefer the American accent. A lot of people think I was born in the U.S. and are normally surprise that I wasn't. I did all my education in the U.S. from first grade through University. Also, I'm an American citizen.

I have to go outside in the sun to keep my light brown skin.

Edited by Rukai

Rukai

mostly locals doing networking and HW support.

all software costs $5. inc adobe cs6.

quite a few freelance coders living in cambodia though.

Jimmyboy,

Are laptops and computer hardware expensive in Cambodia compared to other countries?

jimmyboy

well not sure- but mobile devices seem very reasonably priced, along with commodity class point and shoot cameras. there are a bewildering variety of rebadge and knockoff smart phones and tablets.

very cheap and seem to work.

Rukai

well not sure- but mobile devices seem very reasonably priced, along with commodity class point and shoot cameras. there are a bewildering variety of rebadge and knockoff smart phones and tablets.
very cheap and seem to work.

I'm guessing they gets those knockoff smart phones and tablets from China. About two years ago, my friend's wife bought a couple knockoff tables for $25 usd in China. They looked like the real tablets, but I didn't try them out.

If anyone knows if I can buy a laptop/desktop in Cambodia for a cheaper price than in the U.S., please let me know.

When it comes to the Philippines, laptops where more expensive than in the U.S.