Parrothead

Hey luigi! What is it like where you live in Granada?

luigi

How were you received as being the only white guy?. Did you sense any animosity? Or were you a novelty? Did they like to touch your hair on your head?

My time there was harmonious as best recollection. Orange walk would be the exception. Traveled extensively throughout country via boat & roads & trails, streams & rivers. The Mayan never seemed to think one way or the other. Slept in there huts, ate there food. I left their women alone. Nuff said on that.

I guess by 1989 they were adjusted to subjugation & exploitation.

Edited by luigi

dicey eye

I had a Garifuna wife and 3 of her pickney. Might say I was a novelty. Got a job in Dangriga so I left Hopkins after 6 months.

luigi

Dangriga big time resort area today. Complete w/airport. 5 star resorts. Swimming pools. Movie stars.

A fond memory of a copra farmer who let me sleep a few weeks in a hammock in his jalapa in exchange for taking his 200# slaughtered hog into town along with two of his daughters, They weighed about the same. This feat was accomplished in a 1984 Datsun 280 ZX. The two seater variety. One of two in the entire country. Texas Cowboy colors silver & blue, The other one was owned by the Sabatini family of Orange walk. (Rambo town) They controlled the reefer export bidness. Not the profile I was trying for. But everyone treated me fairly. Over all my yr.in Belize was very positive.

Then there was Barry Bowen who owned key Chapel. A most enterprising gentlemen. Ten there was the RAF Generals wife I got evolved with. Jeez! what a mess.

Ah..the stories we have lived.

Parrothead

Dude, you need to write a book.

Stromboli

What is the cost of living in Nicaragua -- guest house, food...?

And what would be the mood on the street for gringos?

luigi

Cost of living is 50%-70% higher than here. Food, housing,travel,booze,women. Across the board. I like the food better there. I like the women better here.

90 day visa runs to trhe CR border are routine.

Many charismatic churches gaining ground on the Catholics throughout the country. They are mostly fuked up on Jesus but many now are fuked up on Jehovah.

Very diverse demographics east coast v west coast.

Rarely hear ''gringo'' in Nica. That's a Mexico thing primarily. But the answer is that they are a warm & gracious people.

Look at Craigslist for costs. A genuine indicator much more accurate than Numbeo.

Many natural disasters for Nica's. Ring of fire, 10-12 active volcanoes, hurricane season June- Nov., flash flooding common. Managua is a 1 million + people disaster.

This is in regards to Granada primarily. Pacific oast is more expensive, west coast is expensive, no infrastructure, very isolated but stunningly beautiful.