zeros

hello

dicey eye

Inside country it makes no difference which currency you use, both accepted everywhere - though once you leave Cambo, the riel ain't worth much.

zeros

converting riel to dollars before i do leave an issue or no?

i hate to even think about departure from there as i havnt even arrived yet

but i reckon its a good thing to think ahead.

i read that cambodia is largely a farming community that is appealing to me

having grown up on a dairy and tobacco farm

Parrothead

converting riel to dollars before i do leave an issue or no?

i hate to even think about departure from there as i havnt even arrived yet

but i reckon its a good thing to think ahead.

i read that cambodia is largely a farming community that is appealing to me

having grown up on a dairy and tobacco farm

No. Many places will convert your riel to dollars prior to leaving the country. 

Tons of farms, most being poorer farmers. Down the road where Chan's farm is, it's almost exclusively farms, along both sides of the road.

zeros

i took my first overt action towards the move this week. i sold my jeep.

trying to shed a few things.

february 1, looks like a likely day to fly that way

JohnOBohn

Farms in the 1st world bear XERO resemblance to farms in the 3rd world.     Look long and hard before making irrevocable decisions.   Helps a lot if you have vacationed many times in Asia.       2 BIG sides to the "Working/Teaching English" coin.     ONE Side:   pay is low.    You can live on it if you can accept living at nearly a Khmer level.   If you have retirement income, then this is not a problem.Hours worked can be unusual (shall we say).     Management may be very difficult to work under.    Employees are way down the respect ladder of the owners/top management.    Dress codes can be kind of strict/weird and hard to deal with.      Attitude of management towards any attempt to suggest changes of any kind can be anywhere from ignored to outright hostile and can result in termination under very unpleasant conditions.

Your own unique temperment will the the main deciding factor in how happy/unhappy your life will be here.

THE PLUS SIDE:    Teaching/mentoring/passing on your lifes accumulated experience/knowledge to kids that desperately need it and in by far the vast majority of kids, is profoundly appreciated.       Getting away from the rat race you most likely live in where you are.     America (I am 1) is rapidly becoming a violent (by cops DHS) controlled society with the few rights we did possess almost entirely history now.      I have been in Asia for 12 years straight and would live no where else.   But you need to decide this yourself.    

So many foreigners leave their home countries and hate the way of life they find.   Trying fiercely to change wherever they land to a semblance of their previous home.   My opinion is if you do not like it GET THE HELL OUT.       The good far out weighs the bad for me.

zeros

i appreciate the experienced insight john. my idea is to blend in, i am not trying to change anything, i may do little things like pick up trash if i see it littered about.  there are reasons i am choosing cambodia. i grew up in central appalachia close to the coal fields, we never had the rights that the rest of america had at one time. i was on the turkish/syrian border for 15 months, still, i understand nothing could prepare me for cambodia. that is part of the draw.

i do own my home here and it is not going up for sale before i depart. i am 50ish and the 2008 event financial meltdown kind of left a taste in my mouth. i returned to school rather than go back to the work force, and i can draw graduate level funding while i am there too, which is enough to live on here in the usa, so, i am as common as dirt. i like flying under the radar and not making waves. i expect to be able to deal with it for 1-2 years while i sort it out. i am not burning any bridges here to come there.

Parrothead

i may do little things like pick up trash if i see it littered about.

That will be a full time job, mate. We (foreigners) spend our energy putting rubbish in the rubbish bins, while they (Khmers) spend theirs throwing it to the ground. 

• Like 1