Voyager

White fly problem

Voyager
My garden is doing good this year but I have run into a problem with white flies on my tomato plants. I do organic and so far any pepper spray has no effect on them. The plants are at the end of their cycle and over 6 feet tall and bring in over 50 tomatoes a week with 8 plants. I'm not concerned about them but these white flies are already going to my new plants.

Any ideas?

Squid

Have you tried to spray with a small amout of dish washing detergent and white oil mixed in water ? Or even the leftover laundry water ?

Is that still staying organic ?  because it does work.  

luigi

Do ladybugs survive in your climate. Very effective but temp & humidity sensitive.There is a mite that feeds on the larvae of the white fly. I'll see if I  can find my notes. Also Green Lacewings are excellent veg. & flower garden pest controllers. I have no Idea where you would acquire here in Cambolandia.

meanwhile;

In a 32-ounce spray bottle mix 2 parts rubbing alcohol, 5 parts water, and 1 tablespoon liquid soap. Spray the mixture on the foliage of garden plants that are susceptible to these pests. Apply every other day in morn or eve for best results. Use for about 5 days as the larval to pupae to adult is usually in that neighborhood.

Also place some aluminum foil at base. The reflective nature of the foil helps in control. Also remove the most heavily infested leaves. Place in plastic bag, freeze then dispose.

They feed on the underside of the foliage so saturate thoroughly. They leave a residue known as ''honey dew'' which is white fly poop which brings on fungus. Black sooty fungus which has it's own health hazards. If infestation becomes overwhelming your only recourse is to remove all plants & either burn or freeze.

There are about 1500 species of white fly but above concoction works well if it fits in with your concept of ''organic''.

While on that subject most people would be quite surprised to read what the term ''organic'' means to US of A organic growers. Most people automatically assume no pesticides. Not even close to true.

Good luck.

Squid

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-on-white-flies.html

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-seed-oil-extract.html

I've used it. It works and is 'edible' after 2 weeks cessation before cropping.

It is very good in fact for all kinds of insects and even skin conditions.

Back when I was making natural soaps for markets I also made a shampoo bar for dogs which included Neem oil, Coal tar with a few other natural oils and finely ground Rosemary.

It kept the fleas off my dogs and kept any itches at bay.

Voyager

Just thought I should post what my solution was. I tried the soap and soap and oil mixes but the white flies would leave for a few hours and they would come right back. I tried different peppers in the mix and some had no results and one pepper killed the plant. Final mix here in the Philippines ended up being taking 3qts of water and 12 of the small red peppers chopped up fine and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.  Let it sit over night and then mix in 2 table spoons of liquid dish soap and two table spoons of cooking oil. I used a old but good windex spay bottle and hit the plant from every angle.

Results: white flies were gone

Next step: Cut off most of the infected leaves and branches that had that mold growing on the underside and put them in a pile and did a burn with the help of kerosene.

The white flies are now gone and I'm getting 4 fresh tomatoes a day out of 8 plants.

On a note these are the tallest tomato plants I have ever grown now reaching 7 feet tall.

As for a test that we cant do in the USA since we have a winter that tomatoes die I cut two plants to the first good branch and they are taking off quick.

Now if I could just get lettuce to grow this way I would be set...

• Like 1