Jools

Hello from Alabama

Jools

I will be retiring in April 2015 and may just opt for Cambodia over Thailand. Many Thailand expats seem to think  that there is not as much to do in Cambo but the YouTube videos and other information suggest otherwise. I'd be interested in the thoughts of some of the forum members.

luigi

I will be retiring in April 2015 and may just opt for Cambodia over Thailand. Many Thailand expats seem to think  that there is not as much to do in Cambo but the YouTube videos and other information suggest otherwise. I'd be interested in the thoughts of some of the forum members.

Welcome Jools.

A  couple of questions.

Have you ever been to the FloraBama bar for the mullet throwing contest?

Ahhh...the  Redneck Rivera will always hold a dear spot in my heart.

Youtube videos.

Example please.

L

• Like 1

Jools

I've never been there and I believe it is now closed. Seems like there was a news wire  story about the bar a while back. It just makes sense that since Alabama is already a third-world country, it might be a natural transition to retire in one. :lmao:

As far as "examples" of YouTube videos....there are many. Just go to YouTube and enter "Cambodia" or "Retiring in Cambodia" and you'll have no shortage of viewing material.

Edited by Jools

Johnny74b

Reports of the FloraBama's demise are greatly exaggerated. I blew of a wedding in p-cola in the spring and chose to knock back a few there instead. I stand by my decision!

• Like 1

phuketrichard

much more to see, do an eat in thailand

Of course Cambodia does have Angkor wat at $20/day

lived in Thailand 30 years

Cambodia 10 months and travel there  frequently

• Like 1

luigi

Yes the FloraBama is still going strong!

I was referring specifically to Thai expats saying that there was not as much to do in Cambodia as compared to Thailand.

Was just wondering what they were referring to. I miss read your post a bit.

L

• Like 1

Jools

They were not specific on the claim of "not much to do". Phnom Pehn is not Bangkok but it seems that there is plenty to do and fill up a day, especially if you're a sixty-something retiree, who is not looking for a  24 hour a day party. When you are talking to those who are sold on Thailand, you are usually going to get the "party line". My only reservation is medical care. I know from experience that it is superior in Thailand. We all have to die, but I would hate to check out simply because of substandard medical care.

dicey eye

Not much to do? Bull Poopie!!!

I moved to Cambodia at age 61, plowed 35 new fields my 1st month here.

Though age does take its toll. Not much interested in plowing any fields now-a-days. Only do to make sure the machinery is still functional.

I kinda cotton to the philosophy of the Ruth Gordon character (Maude) in the 1971 moviec directed by Hal Ashby titled Harold and Maude. Gordon’s character is a zesty 79 year old that has made a vow to cash in her chips on her 80th birthday. A quality of life thing. Sounds good to me, except 80 is a tad too old. Cashing in chips at 75 has a nice ring to it.

• Like 1

phuketrichard

They were not specific on the claim of "not much to do". Phnom Pehn is not Bangkok but it seems that there is plenty to do and fill up a day, especially if you're a sixty-something retiree, who is not looking for a  24 hour a day party. When you are talking to those who are sold on Thailand, you are usually going to get the "party line". My only reservation is medical care. I know from experience that it is superior in Thailand. We all have to die, but I would hate to check out simply because of substandard medical care.

huh"

I dont recall him  asking about pp vs bangkok?

i haven't been to a bar in years here,  Party?

i am talking about things to do,  on the land, sea and in the air

shopping, riding a motorcycle or bicycle around

eating fine food from around the world. ( not the shit expat food they pass off as European in PP, shv an SR)

Taking airplane or train trips.in country

Its not a question of boredom  as i never get bored in Cambodia cause i can fill my days walking  around photographing

but one cant compare Thailand to Cambodia they are just too different.

and to those that tell you Cambodia is like Thailand was 30 years ago i can say  BULLSHIT

as to plowing fields never tried that an i can say for sure it is NOT on my bucket list!!

dicey, quote from Hunter;

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun -- for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax -- This won't hurt."

• Like 1

dicey eye

I whole-heartedly agree with Hunter S. I'm 67 and seen and done a bunch.

As for plowing fields that was a euphemism for having sex. And to make a wild guess, you have done that.

• Like 1