Jools

Hello from Alabama

phuketrichard

ahhhhhhhhhh;

i was going to ask if they were small fields,

sounds like to much work for me  :-)

I got 3 to go, figure might go for 6 an call it a day,

body is failing me

mind is going fast ( too many drugs when i was young)

to much easy living

but feck, its been a hell of a ride!!!

Mikala

I've been to Thailand 40+ times and Cambodia 2 times. At times have stayed in Thailand for 2 months, but never longer. I feel like Thailand has a lot to offer on a short term basis. The restaurants are fantastic, movie theatres and shopping are top-notch. Nightlife (such as live music) is great. Girls are gorgeous (though ladyboys abound). That being said, I have no interest in living in Thailand because it's simply too different from what I call "normal". My version of normal is either Hawaii or mainland USA. The people in Thailand were not welcoming and I felt that the girls there were too 'professional' and could never be trusted.

During my 2 short visits to Cambodia, I found the people to be welcoming, the food to be good, the sightseeing and entertainment to be less than mediocre. I loved the French architecture, the wide sidewalks and the overall sensation of being somewhere that I could make a difference. The girls I encountered (non-Vietnamese) were honest and somehow compassionate.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Cambodia. What's important to me, might be different than what you're looking for though, so try to visit and see for yourself.

Welcome aboard!

phuketrichard

T

hat being said, I have no interest in living in Thailand because it's simply too different from what I call "normal".

??  and Cambodia is not more different?

Visiting and living are not the same

get away from the tourist areas in ANY country and u will see a big difference.

Mikala

?? and Cambodia is not more different?

Cambodia was easier for me since they used USD. The French architecture made me feel more comfortable. The people were definitely different than Thailand.

Sometimes I get 'culture shock' while living in (and visiting) various countries. I had it in Japan, Thailand and Korea, but Cambodia had similarities to what I was used to and I was comfortable for my weeks in-country. I tried the countryside of Thailand too. Up in the northeast of the country and it was bizarre. I couldn't handle it after 3 or 4 days. I never had any culture shock in Bangkok though, even if I stayed a few months.

phuketrichard

ahh i get it,

you want to travel but you don't want to experience anything your not used to.

Best of luck

Mikala

you want to travel but you don't want to experience anything your not used to.

That's funny Richard! I can only say that (I think) you're emphatically incorrect in your assessment.

I've been outside my "comfort zone" for the past 30+ years. I also have looked for places to retire and consider Cambodia to be much preferable than Thailand, even though I love to visit Thailand for months at a time.

As for my ranch in Hawaii, sure it's beautiful, it's comfortable, it's absolute paradise. Just too boring for me.