luigi

Milled rice & non-milled rice

luigi

I hate white rice. It's lacking in nutrition, it's bland & a insulin spike big time.

Question, do the rice farmers mill their rice or do they eat it as is grown?

jimmyboy

milled only with the possible exception of the most poverty stricken hill tribes and even then i  doubt it.

teh red and black rice is unmilled.

luigi

I don't get it. I know they mill the rice because it is much longer lasting for shipping. Doesn't go rancid. But un-milled rice of any color contains more nutrients & anti-oxidants. The red & black variety's are becoming trendy in some parts of the world. And have a higher nutrient factor than the others.

I know some rice is naturally white though not as white as served everywhere.

Part of my restaurant order now finishes with. No rice please.

I wished they served more legumes here. I miss my red, black, pintos, etc. At least that made a more complete protein rich meal

I

jimmyboy

a few people have told me that only "poor people" eat brown rice!

never met any as poor as that!

dicey eye

Even after 30 yrs away from US, still haven't acquired a taste for rice- not any kind of just plain old rice. In Belize they traditionally made rice mixed with beans which is pretty darn good.

But I must admit, speaking of legumes, sure do miss those Honduran baleadas.

jimmyboy

The khmer have a rice and blackeyed pea dish.

I have seen the odd furtive bean in some things. think they use them for sweets?

Rukai

Personally, I prefer white rice over brown rice because I believe it's healthier for you. However, from what I know, if you soak brown rice for x amount of time to get all the bad acid or something like that away from it, then maybe it's better for you.

Read about a doctor named, Weston A. Price and his research.

Maybe you'll like this article: http://ancestral-nutrition.com/why-white-rice-is-healthier-than-brown-rice/

Edited by Rukai
  • Like 1

jimmyboy

Seems to be a lot more digestible than bread anyway. I always debloat in about 3 days when in Asia, I put it down to the rice rather than bread.

Rukai

Seems to be a lot more digestible than bread anyway. I always debloat in about 3 days when in Asia, I put it down to the rice rather than bread.

White or brown rice?

jimmyboy

either! i like white rice. There are different qualities and it is noticeable on the plate.