JTK88000

See ya later Thailand-heading for Cambodia!

JTK88000

Hi all, having been here in Thailand since January, it's getting time to move on. I visited PP once in 1994 for a week-a lot has changed since then. I'll probably stay in PP for a few days, get my one-year visa squared away then move on to Sihanoukville, where I'd like to stay. I'm looking for long-term accommodations at about $300 U.S. a month. A/C, WIFI, and a fridge are a must. Is this doable? I'll be landing in the third week of October-just before the high season. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, what's my best option for taking care of a visa for a one year stay once I arrive-how long of a wait and how much? Thanks very much. Great forum!

J.T.

August 20, 2014

Parrothead

Hi JT, and welcome. 

I currently pay $200 for a furnished home, here in Battambang. I am quite certain you could do so in Sihanoukville. The last place I rented in Sihanoukville was a 2 bedroom, 3 bath home in a private compound. I put a bit of money into it to make it a bit safer, as well as more convenient for me. 

When you land, you are going to have to pay your first month's visa. Then, just wait until you arrive in Sihanoukville and head over to Mottah Travel, and get your visa sorted. Nay, the young lady who owns / runs the place, will sort you out. 

TDCNINJA

Is young Nay married?

Parrothead

I don't think so. I've only been interested in business with her, personally. But, she is a pretty lady and has a great sense of humor.

JohnOBohn

Charlie Harpers is a good place to start.   Tony is a good guy and lots of long termers around to help you get going.   Send him a message on www.sihanoukvilleonline.com/fforum

A/c rooms at $150 plus electric.

• Like 2

TDCNINJA

One of the things that has scared me about living in Snooky or any other part of Cambodia is the lack of medical staff who have even the most basic trauma and lifesaving skills/abilities and medical equipment needed to sustain life support.

Parrothead

Charlie Harpers is a good place to start.

CH's also has a generator, something that seems to be necessary in SHV.

Tony is also a member here. But, I don't think he has been on in a while.

He has probably housed a large number of members of this forum (at one point or another), since it started.

One of the things that has scared me about living in Snooky or any other part of Cambodia is the lack of medical staff who have even the most basic trauma and lifesaving skills/abilities and medical equipment needed to sustain life support.

Mate, I am right there with ya. That is THE single concern for me, that I did NOT have during the time I lived in Thailand or the Philippines. I can imagine going into a hospital here for something minor, yet not makint

Edited by Paul

JTK88000

Hi all and thanks for your responses. I have sent Tony an email and am hoping he'll reply. It sounds as though his place will be fine until I find something permanent. How does renting usually work? Is it monthly or a year lease, first, last, and security? I'd been thinking of something on or near a beach but it sounds as though there's a lot of partying till all hours which I'm trying to avoid. As I'm in Thailand now, I think I have what I need to get started over there but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

J.T.

8-23-14

jimmyboy

first and last with current month up front.

there is a FB real estate page for SV and an expats and locals living in sv page. frans wouters in that group seems to have a lot of less expat oriented more khmer style rentals at very moderate rates.

at teh monent he has a 3 br house for $200/month.