Parrothead

What do you feed your chickens?

Parrothead

Since we started our little venture on raising chickens here, I have tried a few different ways to feed chickens - aside from letting them free range. (I do not let my chickens free range. I want to know what is going into their systems.)  

Anyway, this year, we decided to purchase some corn. I figure it isn't too bad of a deal. 900 Riel per kilo, milled, stored, and delivered. What I mean is, we do not have the space to store all the corn needed for the next oh, three months. So, the grower will store it for us and mill, and deliver it to us, as needed. 

Since we have so many PVC feeders for our birds, I am going to have them just fill some with the cut commercial feed, and the others with the milled corn. It should cut our feed costs significantly. At the moment, a 30 kilo bag of feed costs 78,000 Riel ($19.50 USD). They recently had an increase. The milled corn will only cost us, in comparison, 27,000 Riel ($6.75 USD) per 30 kilograms. I would say that 1/3rd the price would be a considerable improvement.

We should be heading out there in the next day or so to firm up the deal and pay for the corn. I will try to get photos.

• Like 1

Guest Kenny

I did a quick Google for "feed chickens corn" and came up with a heap of information, mostly telling me corn was poor feed even when mixed with commercial feed.

Rukai

From what I know, chickens are not vegetarians, they are carnivores. Chickens are suppose to eat critters, frogs, and their own poop. Personally, I would never feed chickens with corn because like what Kenny said, it is poor feed. I also read that feeding soy to chickens is poor feed, too.

My cousin raises wild chickens, and man are they delicious.

Edited by Rukai
  • Like 1

Parrothead

Here, they feed chickens rice. Corn has to be better than that?

Guest Kenny

Hey Paul, I wonder if you could sprout some of these seeds like corn and rice like we used to in science class at school.

Like they sprout mung beans.

I do know that green feed gives yellow yolks, but whether better for you is another story.

Parrothead

I don't know. We have mixed sun flower seeds in with the commercial feed, and they used something else to cut it with. Still isn't lasting that long, though. It gets costly, at (now) $19.00 uSD per 30 kilo sack.