Tola

Ordinary Visa.

Tola

After many years of coming to Cambodia on a tourist visa,i now want to stay longer than the 60 days maximum possible (with an extension of the initial 30 days).There has been much rumblings about work permits,but i do not want to work,just stay for a longer time with my girlfriend.I may eventually come to stay permanently.I retired three years ago.Will i have trouble convincing immigration that i have no plan to work.What is the best strategy?Any help would be appreciated.

Parrothead

Not sure. But, I imagine they will look at places of employment first, schools, restaurants, bars, hotels, guest houses, etc. I don't foresee anyone coming knocking on the door of my home (since they don't have my home address anyway), to check my work permit. 

So, I doubt you will have any issues. 

jimmyboy

ministry of labor and immigration do not share info.

Tola

Many thanks Paul and jimmyboy.I'm off next month,so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

JohnOBohn

Here is the REAL INFO.

There is NO ""WORK VISA"", never has been.    For the average foreigner visiting Cambodia there are (2) Two types of visas you may obtain.    1. - A Tourist Visa.     2. - An Ordinary Visa.

You may obtain either one when entering Cambodia.   You simply need to tell the Immigration Officer which you desire.

A TOURIST VISA is good for 30 days and may be extended for 30 days.    UPON REACHING THE 60 DAY MAXIMUM STAY YOU must leave the country.   i.e.  STAMPED OUT and can turn around and re-enter.   No minimum time out of Cambodia requirement.      On a Tourist Visa you may not WORK, own/drive a motorcycle or obtain a drivers license.

An ORDINARY VISA is initially good for thirty (30) days.   May be extended for up to one (1) year at a time with currently no requirement to leave the country and no limit on times it may be extended.

An Ordinary Visa - issued by Dept of Immigration - allows you to obtain a Cambodian Drivers License, own/operate motor vehicles, own a business and last but not least it is pre-requisite needed to APPLY FOR A WORK PERMIT.

A WORK PERMIT is issued by The Dept of Labor.    You must submit proof of an Ordinary Visa, place of work, etc.     Pay the required fees, obtain your WORK BOOK.   This Work Book is required to WORK in Cambodia.   Your place of employment must enter the required information in your book, be it yourself or other employer.

To address the statement that "the police cannot find you"  Hahahaha.    The police check every registered lodging house, hotel etc every day to obtain records of who is renting/living there.   Copiess of passport/visa are given to them.   IF you rent an apartment/room of any sort, the owner is required to report you to the police.   If you renew a rental agreement, this is also reported the same as an initial rent agreement.

The Dept. of Labor does NOT try to chase you down to ask if you are working.    They check individual business for information on their employees such as name, passport, visa, work permit/book.     I do know for a fact the Dept. of Labor checked with the owners of the apartment building I live in, very recently, to verify records and ask explicitly if they were aware if I worked or did not work.

I do hope this clears up your questions.

• Like 4

jimmyboy

good clear concise info John.

thanks!

Parrothead

to verify records and ask explicitly if they were aware if I worked or did not work.

Heck, old man. You ain't worked in so long, you probably don't remember what it even was. :D

good clear concise info John.

thanks!

Do not stroke his ego. He barely can walk through the door as it is. :D

JohnOBohn

I darn tooting do member what working is - was.  My advanced case of Ahlzeimers  lets me remember the past very well.   I don' know what I et fer brekfas tho.

• Like 1