hemogoblins

Teaching in Sihanokville

hemogoblins

Hello everyone. I've been living here in Sihanokville for a little over a month now and I enjoy it quite a bit. I've looked around at some of the other posts and it seems that there are plenty of teaching openings in the larger cities but for me just can't live in the tropics without the sea. So I have a few questions about finding work here.

First, does anyone know of any schools that are hiring? I am TKT and TEFL certified and have eight years experince teaching everything from 4 year olds to 40 year olds (two years in Thailand and six years in China)

Second, what is the employment structure here in Cambodia? Are there six month/ year long contracts or is it more "at will" employment? Would the school want me to start/stop with the semesters or can I jump in and out at any time? Are the pay structers usually salary or by the hour?

Third, I've seen that the starting rate is $10-$12ph in Phnom Penh. Is that true here as well? Would my certifications/experince bring up that rate? Would my qualifications open positions in admin or are those jobs usually filled by people promoted from within the schools?

I understand that many of the answers to these questions will vary from school to school, but any ballpark advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

dicey eye

In SHV there are 2 schools that regularly hire NES teachers at the primary level - Home of English (pay starts at $7 per hour)and Sovannaplumi (pay is around $8 per hr); both give rather limited hours, say 10 to 12 per week. Rumor is they both require the teacher to take care of the work permit, although when I was there a year ago work permits were a non-issue. At university level you also have 2 choices, both require at least BA degrees - Build Bright University and University of Management and Economics, both universities pay either $8, 9 or 10 per hour depending on your negotiating skills. I received a salary and taught 24 hrs per wk at Sovannaplumi but not sure if they still do that.

Generally speaking teachers don't last long in SHV, pay is too low, they usually head up to PP.

Break a leg.....

Edited by dicey eye