dicey eye

2 part-time teachers needed

dicey eye

USA International School has two part-time adult education teaching positions open.

Classes are 5PM to 6 PM and 6PM to 7PM., Monday through Friday. Ten hours per week.

Teacher usually sees each group of students approximately one hour every week and a half. Focus of instruction is to enhance speaking skills along with honing pronunciation.

If interested PM for an interview. Would like teachers to begin work next week, if possible.

• Like 1

WorldWideTraveller

Hi.

I know it an old post but is the posistions taken?

Thanks

/Henry

Parrothead

Well, Dicey is now working in Burma. :D 

But, the schools here alway seem to need teachers. Mainly, because they pay shit wages. I wouldn't work for them, here in Battambang. No way. 

dicey eye

There are 4 so-called international schools in BTB.

When I left 3 months ago the pay ranged from USA is $5 per hr, but they require meet and greet the parents for an extra 2 hrs a day that isn't paid for so the actual salary is #3.50 per hr.

Dewey and its next door neighbor PaññÄsÄstra University $6 sometimes $7 per hr but both the admins play games with your hrs so the take home pay goes up and down. The best of the bunch is Sovannaplumi which pays from $8 to $12 hr, former teacher Allan was getting $12 before he moved back to Oz.

Other than those, the 3 universities are always looking for teachers - most start at $8 or $10 per hr

Good luck.

• Like 1

commonalmond

Anyone have any info on teaching at the universities in Battambang, or elsewhere in Cambodia?

Pay is relevant I suppose, although I don't know anyone who is in teaching for the money. :) What I really would like to know is "What is it LIKE?". What is it like to live and teach anywhere in Indochina?

What's a typical day like? It could start with how you got to work and end with how you felt at the end of the day. :)

• Like 1

dicey eye

There are 4 universities in BTB that I know of that hire foreign teachers.

1. Build Bright University - weekday and weekend classes

2. University of Management and Economics - weekend classes

3. PaññÄsÄstra University - weekday evening classes

4. Dewey University - weekday evening classes

All pay about the same $10 per hour.

Hours are geared to class load. Each class meets between 3 to 4 hours a week.

Normally to start universities assign you one of two classes per term. Term is 4 months in length - so one class’ pay is more or less $120 per month. Two classes is naturally double that.

Every university has the same assessment policy - admin relies entirely on student evaluations. Entirely! So you better make sure the students like you.

If the students give you a good assessment the school will assign you another class; if not bye-bye.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1

John_Galt

What's a typical day like? It could start with how you got to work and end with how you felt at the end of the day.

I ride my moto to work. I live close enough that I could walk or ride a bike to work if I wanted.

A typical day starts with preparing for class I prepare a week or more ahead of time then review what to do the day of

Then I eat lunch usually at home. After that go to work and teach. I like teaching older students better because they want to learn and are better behaved. 

What I really would like to know is "What is it LIKE?"

Its better than any minimum wage or close to job in the States. 

Its not exciting it can be fun and interesting depending on your students.

Just like with any job there is good and bad.

• Like 2

westcoastcyc

When is the best time of year to try looking for teaching jobs?  I am looking at coming out that way maybe next month.

• Like 1

Parrothead

When is the best time of year to try looking for teaching jobs?  I am looking at coming out that way maybe next month.

I do not teach here. But, the way it seems to me is, you could pretty well go to work any time you arrive here. Teachers are ALWAYS needed here. 

I guess, the main reason being, they don't worth a hoot. I know I wouldn't teach for what these schools are offering, especially with the owners driving around in HIGH end vehicles. They need to come off a bit of money and pay the damned teachers what they are worth! 

• Like 3