tonny2

Hi i am Tonny just join the site, live in here the PH for over 9yrs.

tonny2

Hope i can come there near the end of the year.If any one gets SS send to a US bank ,and draws it out with ATM. Any information would be nice,like  masrer card or visa ? how much at a shot,cost per shot , what problems to look out for? Did you bring two cards same bank? just in case one die,if it did how did you get a new one? Thanks PS was told now you dont have to go to the US Embassy each month to check in, or your SS check gets cut off,. is that correct? Also any good tips for a nebie!!!!!

JohnOBohn

Been in Cambodia nearly 3 years.   I have my SS deposited to a state side bank and atm it here.   Never had a problem.   My atm card happens to be VISA.   Fees:   whatever your bank charges per transaction.   Local banks, atm's depend.  Any where from free to $5.00 per.    Amounts from about $400 tp $1,000 depends on the bank, atm.  Type of card and country can be different  also.     BUT have not heard of an American having a problem.     Make sure you call your bank before you travel and have them note what countries you may use the card and get a high daily withdrawal limit set up also.

NO need to go to the U.S. Embassy here for ANYTHING except renewal of passport.   Do not tell them anything.

If you fly in ask immigration for "an ordinary visa"  NOT a tourist visa.   You get 30 days.   About week 3 go to a travel agency and renew for 6 months or a year.    Same price at all honest agencies.    Immigration office WILL NOT renew your visa.    Just the way it is here.   Fee for renewal plus $10.00 charge for the service.  

IMHO:

Batambang: Pauls home city.    2nd largest in Cambodia.      Far from about anywhere, flat, inland, hot, floods, few foreigners, very little foreign stuff, Cost of living pretty cheap.

Siem Reap:        2nd most expensive city in Cambodia.    Few resident foreigners, flat, hot, floods,little foreign stuff available.   Many tourists & all go to Angkor What Temples and leave.

Phnom Pehn:      Biggest most expensive city.   Crowded, traffic bad, some pollution, Quite a few resident foreigners, lots of pesky in your face NGO types, hot, floods, best supply of foreign stuff in the country, many good restaurants, bars, night type entertainment.

Sihanoukville:      3rd largest city.   Many resident foreigners, good assortment of foreign stuff, on the ocean, never floods, cool on shore breeze, many foreign bars, restaurants, no traffic, no air pollution, 7 beaches, cost of living cheapest in the country, 4 hour trip to P.P to do major shopping for what cannot be found here or ordered in.    For me it is Snooky hands down the best choice.   No matter what Pauls opinion is about Bat my Bong town, village.   

• Like 2

dicey eye

I lived in SHV over 5 years, lived in PP one yr, now live in BTB and based on my experience, SHV wins the best place to live award hands down.

Parrothead

Hope i can come there near the end of the year.If any one gets SS send to a US bank ,and draws it out with ATM. Any information would be nice,like  masrer card or visa ?

Mastercard or Visa will work locally, just fine. The plus side to this whole thing is, as an American Citizen, you will draw USD directly from the ATM. No need in dealing with any exchange rates, like we have to do in the Philippines. USD spend very well, throughout Cambodia.

how much at a shot,cost per shot , what problems to look out for?

Until recently, Canadia Bank had zero fees. I think they now charge $4.50 per ATM withdrawal? ANZ Bank charges $5.00 / withdrawal. Not sure what other banks charge. I typically use those two, depending on which one is open / active.

Did you bring two cards same bank?

During all my years living abroad, I have never had more than one card at a time, until now. The primary reason being, my banking institutions will not allow more than one card, unless there is a second name attached to the respective accounts. (All my accounts only have my name on them.)

Now, I have several cards (separate accounts), and all bank accounts are linked, so that I can transfer from one to the other at any time. Money transfers are always completed within 48 hours.

I currently have six cards:

1 - Credit Union in Florida (Visa Debit)

2 - Schwab Account (Visa Debit)

3 - Credit Union in Oregon (Visa Debit) 

4 - PayPal Master Card - credit line

5 - Primary Bank Visa Card - credit line

6 - Chase Bank Credit Card - credit line

I never keep more than two cards on me at any given time. While not so many places in Battambang take debit / credit cards, a number of them in Phnom Penh do. So, I do tend to use my cards a bit more there, primarily to keep from carrying so much cash around town. (If cash is lost, there is no getting it back. If cards are stolen and used, however, 100% is refunded to me.)

Oh, I neglected to note that my Schwab Visa Debit account reimburses my ATM fees every month. March, $28.00 USD reimbursed. A lot nicer than having to pay so many fees each month.

just in case one die,if it did how did you get a new one?

Any time a card expires, or is lost / stolen, my primary bank will issue new cards and have them sent via FedEx, within 24 hours. I have not had any experiences with my newer accounts.

Thanks PS was told now you dont have to go to the US Embassy each month to check in, or your SS check gets cut off,. is that correct? Also any good tips for a nebie!!!!!

Within the past couple of years, I guess, the US approved Cambodia as a country where retirees can receive their Social Security funds.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

sudsy

Been in Cambodia nearly 3 years.   I have my SS deposited to a state side bank and atm it here.   Never had a problem.   My atm card happens to be VISA.   Fees:   whatever your bank charges per transaction.   Local banks, atm's depend.  Any where from free to $5.00 per.    Amounts from about $400 tp $1,000 depends on the bank, atm.  Type of card and country can be different  also.     BUT have not heard of an American having a problem.     Make sure you call your bank before you travel and have them note what countries you may use the card and get a high daily withdrawal limit set up also.

NO need to go to the U.S. Embassy here for ANYTHING except renewal of passport.   Do not tell them anything.

If you fly in ask immigration for "an ordinary visa"  NOT a tourist visa.   You get 30 days.   About week 3 go to a travel agency and renew for 6 months or a year.    Same price at all honest agencies.    Immigration office WILL NOT renew your visa.    Just the way it is here.   Fee for renewal plus $10.00 charge for the service.  

IMHO:

Batambang: Pauls home city.    2nd largest in Cambodia.      Far from about anywhere, flat, inland, hot, floods, few foreigners, very little foreign stuff, Cost of living pretty cheap.

Siem Reap:        2nd most expensive city in Cambodia.    Few resident foreigners, flat, hot, floods,little foreign stuff available.   Many tourists & all go to Angkor What Temples and leave.

Phnom Pehn:      Biggest most expensive city.   Crowded, traffic bad, some pollution, Quite a few resident foreigners, lots of pesky in your face NGO types, hot, floods, best supply of foreign stuff in the country, many good restaurants, bars, night type entertainment.

Sihanoukville:      3rd largest city.   Many resident foreigners, good assortment of foreign stuff, on the ocean, never floods, cool on shore breeze, many foreign bars, restaurants, no traffic, no air pollution, 7 beaches, cost of living cheapest in the country, 4 hour trip to P.P to do major shopping for what cannot be found here or ordered in.    For me it is Snooky hands down the best choice.   No matter what Pauls opinion is about Bat my Bong town, village.   

Lots of good information.  

sudsy

Mastercard or Visa will work locally, just fine. The plus side to this whole thing is, as an American Citizen, you will draw USD directly from the ATM. No need in dealing with any exchange rates, like we have to do in the Philippines. USD spend very well, throughout Cambodia.

I currently have six cards:

1 - Credit Union in Florida (Visa Debit)
2 - Schwab Account (Visa Debit)
3 - Credit Union in Oregon (Visa Debit) 
4 - PayPal Master Card - credit line
5 - Primary Bank Visa Card - credit line
6 - Chase Bank Credit Card - credit line

Oh, I neglected to note that my Schwab Visa Debit account reimburses my ATM fees every month. March, $28.00 USD reimbursed. A lot nicer than having to pay so many fees each month.

Within the past couple of years, I guess, the US approved Cambodia as a country where retirees can receive their Social Security funds.

It looks like a  Schwab Account is good to have. Looking for ways to avoid ATM fees.  Going to the Philippines in Oct. and looking to swing by Thailand and Cambodia after.

Parrothead

It looks like a  Schwab Account is good to have. Looking for ways to avoid ATM fees.  Going to the Philippines in Oct. and looking to swing by Thailand and Cambodia after.

I wish I had opened one ages ago. Unfortunately, my first time back to the US, where I could take time to do stuff for myself anyway, was winter of 2014. But, I have one now. That's what counts. Great account. No problems since I opened it. 

If you find yourself in Battambang, give me a holler.

sudsy

Will do Paul... man those atm fees are too much!     

Parrothead

Will do Paul... man those atm fees are too much!     

That's why I very happy to have Schwab AND MayBank!

sudsy

Ah MayBank, do not want to overlook that one.