welshy

Hello - some medical advice please

welshy

Hi everyone, just joined forum. I'll be coming to Cambodia, from UK, at the beginning of June for an extended visit. I've read alot about visa requirements & procedures and think it sounds straightforward enough. Also read about poor state of medical services generally. I have a haematological condition (thick blood) which needs monitoring and occasional treatment (venesection - removal of blood). Will it be possible to get treatment locally or will I have to visit Thailand periodically? The treatment is a lot like giving blood so is pretty basic. Any knowledge much appreciated.

Parrothead

Hey. Not sure where you will be while in country. But, my landlord recently told me of a hospital in Siem Reap, that has Thai doctors and is associated with a hospital, in Thailand. I have not had an opportunity to check it yet. 

I know that, when I had just started on blood thinners in the US, I was told I would need my blood monitored regularly. I was told I would have to do this at a medical facilities here in Cambodia. That is when I went from an almost free medicine, to one that would cost about $400 USD per month. I changed because I did not want to deal with medical facilities in Cambodia - at all. 

johnny lightning

Anyone who lives here will tell you about the abysmal level of medical care. Even the "best" facilities are suspect and get various levels of good to bad reviews. If you are going to be near a border go to Thailand or Vietnam for your procedure, and bring enough meds with you if possible so you won't have to worry about buying fake crap here.

If you do get your blood removal done here better keep an eye out to make sure they don't take it all!

Johnny

• Like 1

welshy

Thanks for replies. Was thinking of starting in Siem Reap until I noticed only one listing for medical facilities. That made me think I'd better try PP first. Need to sort out blood test & treatment (venesection, if required). Quite concerned now about your comment of $400 per month - that won't do at all.  Had read that simple tests were available for $20 which would be just fine. I take asprin to thin blood so will bring plenty (it's about the cheapest most basic medicine there is). Looks like I'll have to arrange something in Thailand vis a vis blood test, at least to begin with.

Also, is it straightforward receiving prescription meds by post from home? Is that what you do Paul?

Any further advice on what to bring, where to stay, places to visit would be most welcome.

Cheers

Welshy

Edited by welshy

welshy

One more thing. It's bloody weird that you already know what I look like  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Guest Kenny

One more thing. It's bloody weird that you already know what I look like  :yahoo:

Not really, we paid a hea for the AI app that runs the forum.

luvthai2003

Welshy,

Here is what I received from an expat living in Cambodia. I had an aortic dissection aneurysm last August, so I've been looking into this whole healthcare in Caboda issue for quite some time. I'm on the strongest blood pressure med that can be prescribed to a homo sapien. And I need a CT scan every 6 months, but that might be extended to just once a year. I'll know more after my next CT scan in September. The bottom line is that I can get my bp med and scan in either Thailand or the Phils. I'm hoping that the SHC of HOPE can take care of this. If not, a trip across the border or to the Phils is ok with me. I've got friends all over S.E. Asia. I've got a miitary buddy in Nam, so I'll ask him to look into things for me and get back with you. I hope this helps.

Dear  Albert,

Sihanouk Hospital Center of HOPE is a charity hospital that trains medical professionals and provides free, quality medical care to the poor.   We have a CT scan at our affiliated HOPE worldwide Community Medical Center that you could use for your tests.  We charge for services there but the costs are quite reasonable and the staff have been trained by western radiologists.  We also stock a variety of medications and all are purchased and stored to international standards. 

As an expat, I can tell you that the medical care here is not to International standard.   I suggest making a pre-retirement visit to check out the services and find what you need exists here.  You must have good health insurance here as some problems can’t be dealt with here effectively- but this article may give you some hope.

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/new-hospital-gives-hope-for-heart-patients-21696/

Good luck,

Ellen

• Like 1

welshy

Hey luvthai2003

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you had a rough time, glad things have improved and may get better yet. Look forward to hearing from you.

Welshy