dicey eye

Adios Cambodia - Hola Myanmar

dicey eye

Heading over to Myanmar again for another teaching position. This time in Mandalay. Will miss Cambodia. Though Myanmar is one of the last frontiers. Fingers crossed.

"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." novelist Henry Miler.

I taught in Myanmar 5 yrs ago - was the archetypical totalitarian state then. From what I've seen on the internet its loosened up quite a bit. No matter, I thoroughly enjoyed my first stint there based in Yangon. Look forward to new adventures in Mandalay.

Tying together all the loose ends of my life here in Cambodia. Board the plane Saturday morning in Siem Reap. Stop over for 3 1/2 hours in BKK then touchdown in Yangon sometime early evening. Overnight in Yangon then off to Mandalay.

Khmer Cowgirl and her Demon son are staying in Cambodia.

• Like 1

luigi

Best of luck to you Andrew. I'm sure you will enjoy.

I'm sure there is Myanmar cowgirl just waiting for you.

Parrothead

After all your years here, you are leaving? I'm surprised, to say the least. 

Parrothead
Khmer Cowgirl and her Demon son are staying in Cambodia.

Why don't you take her with you, Andrew? 

Edited by Paul

phuketrichard

Heard u were off>>
enjoy, go see Zach, anoher American expat that runs http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/tell him hello form me, 

have been to Mandalay three time this past 10 months or so, nice town, friendly people, food sucks unless u find a shan or chnese resturant ( have found a few )

VERY hot april/may

great jade market!!

Head to the river for aternoon beer/meal, theres a nice place across from the water park with good food.

Will be back over in Late sept.

Paul,unless he is married no way would he get her a visa ohter than a tourist visa

Edited by phuketrichard

dicey eye

When I worked there in 2009 and 2010 I foolishy took my then Cambodian common law wife with me. Big mistake. That Khmer gal went through major cultural shock- more than merely homesick. Her and her son lasated a little over a month. And as a matter of fact the admin at the school worked some deal with immigration yo get her a 70 day business visa too.

As for Myanmar Cowgirls I lived with one for over a year, another mistake.That Myanmar gal was obsessively jealous. Her crazy behavior forced me to go back to Cambodia. Still vividly remember her chasing me around the yard at 2 in the morning screaming "Alum a dah" (feck you in Myanmarese. Frankly I wanted to return for a couple years now but waited till I found out she moved overseas. She scared the hell out of me, besides making a big psychodrama scene to terrify all the neighbors. So I don't see another Myanmar common law wife on the horizon Just a bunch of tawdry one night stands. And anyway I'll be seeing Khmer Cowgirl every 70 days. Chased me around wielding a machete; Myanmar version - looked like a huge Gurkah knife.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

tonny2

Please keep us up to date on ur life there always looking for a new adventure may after i do ,Cambodia  this fall unless i get a house i am working on and the wife and my daughter back with me.If not i am still single and free to do my wandering !!!!! But maybe i take my girl now with me as she never argue or squabble just yes dear!!! i do what you want. Oh and the wife has to agree that Jas is the Nanny if we live together as she part of my life also, haaaa yes wan my cake and ice cream ,if you dont ask u dont get!!!!

Parrothead

Please keep us up to date on ur life there always looking for a new adventure may after i do ,Cambodia  this fall unless i get a house i am working on and the wife and my daughter back with me.If not i am still single and free to do my wandering !!!!! But maybe i take my girl now with me as she never argue or squabble just yes dear!!! i do what you want. Oh and the wife has to agree that Jas is the Nanny if we live together as she part of my life also, haaaa yes wan my cake and ice cream ,if you dont ask u dont get!!!!

I lived with two women in the past. Trust me, it isn't nearly as fun as it sounds. 

• Like 1

phuketrichard

no 1 year visa?

i have 2 freinds working/living in Yangon,

one gets a 1 year visa ( works for Carlsberg)

the other is teaching, gets a 1 year visa but needs leave every 90 days but the school pays for flights to Bangkok for him an his thai wife

dicey eye

I had a one year Myanmar visa, though I was still obligated to leave the countryevery 70 days. And all the international schools foot the bill for the mandatory flight to BKK- they pay for plane, hotel, transport in BKK and food- the per diem usually runs $60 . I used to get a $10 hotel a couple blocks from Koh San Road and have a good ole time. Once ya get familar with BKK mass transit getting around is cheap.

Edited by dicey eye