Parrothead

First, this project is not my original idea. It belongs to Robert Cummings, aka 2manytoyz. He is not a member here. That is his username on a number of alternative energy forums, though. Here is a link to his original write up on this project, along with these same images. (The images below are his as well, with the exception of the voltage modification I did to the relay schematic.)

This transfer switch project, once completed, will allow mains power to power appliances, electronics, etc., until the mains fail. Upon the mains power dropping out, a DPDT relay in the circuit will automatically switch, completing a circuit from your battery and inverter, to your appliances (electric load).

NOTE: Keep in mind this particular project was for 120vac service. So, you will have to make sure the coil on the relay is wired for 220vac-230vac, for Cambodia electric service.

Here is the schematic: 

(I modified his schematic for SE Asia voltages.)

transfer_relay_circuit (7a).jpg

Here is the relay and base mount (socket):

transfer_relay_circuit (5).jpg

transfer_relay_circuit (6).jpg

Here is the circuit wired into a work box:

transfer_relay_circuit (4).jpg

And, finally, the completed project:

transfer_relay_circuit (1).jpg

Each end of the three pig tailed cables are labeled:

transfer_relay_circuit (2).jpg

transfer_relay_circuit (3).jpg

Anyway, as soon as I find a relay and socket, I will be making one of these "switches" myself.

One great thing about using one of these transfer switches is, your solar system will not be required to support your load 24 / 7 / 365. It will only be necessary to provide power during power cuts. So, your solar array output can be less, and your battery bank can be smaller. 

Alternatively, you can use a battery charger that is plugged into the mains, to keep your battery (batteries) charged while mains power is up. So, actually having to use a solar array to charge the battery (batteries) isn't really necessary either, for those who wish to not go through the extra expense. 

Copyright Robert Cummings, aka 2manytoyz - 2008, 2015

Edited by Parrothead
updated write up.
  • Like 2

Parrothead

Well, rather than waiting for a company in the US to send me a relay and base, I found them on eBay. Of course, it will probably take six months to get to me. But, I have time to wait anyway. Okay, maybe not that long. But, I don't expect it will arrive for at least a month. I am sure they will mail it via surface.

One 8 pin, 5amp, 220vac coil DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) relay, with Din rail base mount. $6.08 each, shipped, on eBay. The rest of the parts I can source locally, without having to look very hard.

The ac cables will not have to be very large, due to the output limitations of my inverter. 300watts continous / 600 watts intermittent (up to 10 minutes). At 230vac, a 3 ampere fuse / breaker will more than suffice for this project - if I use line protection at all. (The inverter has ample voltage / ampere protection in place.)

chinese_relay_and base.JPG

I will keep you folks up-to-date on this little project of mine.

Edited by Paul
removed old eBay link.
  • Like 1

Parrothead

I found them on eBay. Of course, it will probably take six months to get to me.

When I wrote that, I was just joking. However, I guess the shipping gods felt otherwise. I never did receive the relays and sockets I purchased. 

Back to the drawing board. I really wanted to have one of these made up by now. 

Parrothead

Well, yesterday, my relays finally arrived. Second order, arrived about six weeks after purchasing them. 

I now have three relays and three sockets. The sockets can be mounted flat on a surface, just by adding two screws. Or, they will attach directly to a DIN rail, like a breaker does. The bases are about half the size of a DIN rail breaker. A bit smaller than I expected them to be, honestly. 

MY2N-J_DPDT_Relay.jpg

PYF08A_socket_base.jpg

relay_1.JPG

relay_2.JPG

relay_3.JPG

I probably have enough parts laying around here to build the complete transfer switch assembly. 

Edited by Paul

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      After some talk of this little "hole in the wall" on Tony's forum, I decided to give this new place in town a go. After all, I am happy to try out a new restaurant when it opens. This one happens to be called the "Spaghetti House", and is located just off the main street going through downtown Sihanoukville, Ekareach Street.

Here is a map to the Spaghetti House Restaurant in Sihanoukville, Cambodia:

The owner of the place is Stefano, an Italian who actually claims not to be a chef. I will be the first to admit, he may have missed his calling by not becoming one earlier in life. Either way, he runs a damned good restaurant, and offers very reasonable prices, as you are about to see.

Today, I dropped in for lunch, at Spaghetti House. after browsing through the menu, what caused me to make up my mind was Stefano bringing a fresh batch of Chicken and potatoes to the table, to show me his current creation. It looked quite appetizing, so off he went to prepare an order of it for me.

Along with the chicken and potatoes, I had an order of Bruschetta, a side salad, a nice, complementary order of bread, and a glass of water. On Stefano's menu, this is called a "Set Menu", a meal typically available for guests of his restaurant.

For dessert, I had a nicely prepared Cream Caramel. That topped my meal off and made sure I would not be hungry for the rest of the afternoon.

The best part of this is, the entire meal, including drinks (water), the main meal, the salad, the complimentary bread, and the dessert, all came in at a whopping $5.00 USD. I assure you, there are no complaints concerning that meal, from me!

If you drop in, definitely browse the menu before making a decision. Something tells me that most everything he offers, will be something of a specialty.

Thanks, Stefano! I am glad you are in town, sir.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I fist went to Khmer Cowgirl's place, located on Victory Hill, a couple of weeks (I believe?) before their Khmer Cowgirl Libra Birthday Bash. This was the first time I had actually visited Andrew and Pip.

Anyway, they have a pretty good Tex-Mex menu of items, but specialize in Chili. They can do mild, moderate, hot, or Chernobyl. Since I am a whip, I opted for mild. All I can say is, DEFINITELY drop in to Khmer Cowgirl to have a bowl of their chili.

Another meal offered at Khmer Cowgirl is a damned good chili dog. It is a hot dog covered - smothered, in chili and onions. For those with robust appetites, I would suggest having two of them. The dogs are $2.00 USD each. For an additional buck-fifty, you can add a good portion of fries to enjoy with your meal.

Andrew or Pip, if you see this post, please feel free to add any information regarding your menu items.

Dang, I think I know where I am headed this evening, for a meal.

Oh, to get there, go up to "the Hill" and turn left on to "bar row", the road where all the bars are located. Go to the end of that road and turn right at the Corner Bar. Khmer Cowgirl will be just down on the left.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      At the (indirect) recommendation of deanpeace, I paid a trip down to Sokhom Guesthouse this morning, for breakfast. It was a great deal.

The restaurant is open air, with the seating just off the road. It is quite peaceful in the mornings on Serendipity Beach Road. So, you can enjoy your breakfast and watch the life passing by as you dine.

Anyway, I ordered bacon, hash browns, scrambled eggs, and two banana pancakes, along with a 1.5 liter bottle of water. All in, it cost me a whopping $4.25 US! I had so much food, in fact, that I had to ask the waitress to wrap the pancakes for take away to bring home.

Sokhom Guesthouse is located on Serendipity Beach Road, oh, maybe 3/4 the way down on the right. I highly recommend giving the place a try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.