Parrothead

So, we took a "day" trip over to Thailand.

Parrothead

It turned into an over night deal. Or, should I say an ordeal? 

My buddy Bill came up from Sihanoukville. He wanted to go to Chanthaburi. We were only going for the day, so both of us packed very lightly, knowing we would return to my home that evening. 

We went through the border at Pailin / Prum.

Upon arriving at Immigration on the Thai side, the young lady there decides, for whatever reason(s), that she does not want to give us entry into the country, unless we are going to stay overnight. (I was honest and upfront, telling her we were going to Chanthaburi to shop, and would return to Cambodia later in the evening. She would have no part of this. 

She made me agree that, if she granted us entry, that we would not attempt to return to Cambodia that night. (The border at that crossing is open from 06:00 to 22:00, daily.) We didn't have much of a choice, and we had come all the way so far. So, we agreed. (She was not exactly as nice as she could have been. I think she was having a bad day. Or, maybe she didn't like foreigners - or maybe it was just limited to Americans? Who knows?) Either way, I am not sure if that is a requirement, or if she just wanted to be difficult. Either way, she accomplished her goal. 

What was worse, was the fact that we had a driver waiting for us on the Cambodian side of the border. We had to send him back to Battambang and have him return the following morning, to fetch us. 

Anyway, after finally gaining successful entry into the country, we looked for a ride into Chanthaburi, some 80km away, according to a local driver. We found motorbikes to take us out to the highway (about 4kms), to catch a "taxi". (The "taxi" looked an awfully lot like baht bus. But, whatever. It worked.) The motors charged us 50THB; the taxi, 100THB. 

After arriving in town, we booked a night at the Gems Club Hotel. 

Long story short, neither of us found the items we were seeking. "Big and Tall" clothing simply was not to be found in Robinson's or Big C. So, aside from just going there to see what it was like, the trip was - basically, a wasted effort. 

The next time I want to go shopping, I will just go to Bangkok. 

phuketrichard

its the same for someone going to Cambodia for a turn around.with a thai visa

many times they will make u stay a night

same holds true if u exit at Sadao in Malaysia

they wont let u right back in an need stay the night.

Only now Myanmar / Laos does not require u spend the night nearby for thai visa holders

andy

I remember doing visa runs! Turn around at the Cambodian boarders. The Cambodians don't like it and neither do the Thai's. But I suppose it depends on who and whom, and their luck and attitude on the day (I don't like gambling or taking a chance, getting too old for hustle). The last time I did this the Cambodian officials on the departure, charged me 200 bhat to depart. I was lucky on entering on the Thai side, they gave me the 30 day stay. What they are doing in Thailand now I gather from the information I have received from many travellers doing the visa runs is that you are more likely to get a 14 day stay in Thailand if you just turn around on the boarder. Some I have known only to get 7 days entry. It is better to stay overnight or make a small holiday now of the visa runs. It will give you more of a chance for the visa, and help the Cambodian economy. Wow and lets face it, Cambodia is a beautiful country.

Sorry to hear you had an ordeal Paul! Bad trip and no goodies from Chanthaburi. Bangkok must be the best for shopping. But I find the mini buses from the boarders faster and cheaper to go to Pattaya. Lots of good shopping there.     

andy

Problems with border crossings? Yesterday I was talking to a European, whom had worked in Thailand for many years. He and his Vietnamese lady have now relocated to Cambodia. They both hold passport's from their own country's. They like to hop over the border, to buy a few goodies from the Thai supermarkets! But after three Thai stamps in their passport's, they now have been refused entry again into Thailand!!!

andy

I have been recently been informed now that doing a land crossing from Cambodia to Thailand you are only allowed two crossing's on (entry stamp's) per year, holding a Cambodian visa in your passport.

But allowed a third time of 12 hours if you have a flight out of Bangkok.

I have also been informed that since the Thai king died. Thai visas are free (obtained from the Thai embassy) in Phnom Penh. Apparently now available until August. Obtaining a visa you may cross has many times has you wish.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Obtaining a visa you may cross has many times has you wish.

After having to deal with that little bitch in charge at Pailin, I don't care to ever go back through that border crossing.

jimmyboy

gems club is not bad for a cheap hotel.

Chanthaburi is a lot of fun if you are buying stones.

also you will not get ripped off if you use some of the respectable agents who charge a very minimal fee to guarantee your purchases are real.

the guy i use will buy the stones back for double if the lab report shows him wrong.

Parrothead

gems club is not bad for a cheap hotel.

That's where Bill and I stayed at, when we were there.

Bill H

It turned into an over night deal. Or, should I say an ordeal? 

My buddy Bill came up from Sihanoukville. He wanted to go to Chanthaburi. We were only going for the day, so both of us packed very lightly, knowing we would return to my home that evening. 

We went through the border at Pailin / Prum.

Upon arriving at Immigration on the Thai side, the young lady there decides, for whatever reason(s), that she does not want to give us entry into the country, unless we are going to stay overnight. (I was honest and upfront, telling her we were going to Chanthaburi to shop, and would return to Cambodia later in the evening. She would have no part of this. 

She made me agree that, if she granted us entry, that we would not attempt to return to Cambodia that night. (The border at that crossing is open from 06:00 to 22:00, daily.) We didn't have much of a choice, and we had come all the way so far. So, we agreed. (She was not exactly as nice as she could have been. I think she was having a bad day. Or, maybe she didn't like foreigners - or maybe it was just limited to Americans? Who knows?) Either way, I am not sure if that is a requirement, or if she just wanted to be difficult. Either way, she accomplished her goal. 

What was worse, was the fact that we had a driver waiting for us on the Cambodian side of the border. We had to send him back to Battambang and have him return the following morning, to fetch us. 

Anyway, after finally gaining successful entry into the country, we looked for a ride into Chanthaburi, some 80km away, according to a local driver. We found motorbikes to take us out to the highway (about 4kms), to catch a "taxi". (The "taxi" looked an awfully lot like baht bus. But, whatever. It worked.) The motors charged us 50THB; the taxi, 100THB. 

After arriving in town, we booked a night at the Gems Club Hotel. 

Long story short, neither of us found the items we were seeking. "Big and Tall" clothing simply was not to be found in Robinson's or Big C. So, aside from just going there to see what it was like, the trip was - basically, a wasted effort. 

The next time I want to go shopping, I will just go to Bangkok. 

If you go to the Clothing Mart (wholesale clothing mall in Bangkok) you can find lots of big and tall clothes at very good prices.  The sizes run small to me, so buy the next larger size.  It's a big place 7 floors and a basement.  Good place.

Parrothead

Good place.

Problem is, I have had enough of Bangkok. I don't care to return there, honestly. 

Elsewhere in the country? Sure. But, not Bangkok. It's like manila - a shit hole. 

• Like 1