Parrothead

Thailand offering a 6-month multiple-entry tourist visa for 5,000 THB??

andy

There is a little confusion about the point of this quote! I was trying to say the 5000baht is good for someone who wants to stay in Thailand long time. But has for the short term heading to Cambodia it's expensive.

phuketrichard

it has not been $20 for over 9 months

I visited in Dec an it was $30

This new visa is for TOURISTS  those that want to come to Thailand and visit other countries without having to get a new visa each time  ( ie visiting Laos, back to Thailand, Off to Burma, back to Thailand, off to Cambodia. etc etc.

IT IS no good for anyone wanting to stay in Thailand as you need leave every 2 months.

AS most tourist can easily get a 2 month visa or / and than use 30 day visa exempt entries ( fly in ) or 15 land borders ( 30 if ur from a G7 Country) to come in, its not going to really help anyone and an average tourist stays less than 12 days its not going to make any real difference.

As to less people visiting,  in ur dreams,  figures are up all the time ( granted lots of Chinese) looking to hit 26 million this year

Sure more will visit Cambodia BUT NOT with eliminating Thailand and  Cambodia will NEVER be a destination country for Westerners, only an add on if there already in SE Asia.

So what Paul, i visit immigration for an hour a year, no big deal to me  :-)

Hey its Thailand, they make their own laws as does Cambodia ,  You follow them or leave

Parrothead

Hey its Thailand, they make their own laws as does Cambodia ,  You follow them or leave

And, obviously, if they were even considering this sort of visa, too many people must be leaving the country. So, they must be - slowly, learning not to be so tight fisted about their visas.

Oh, I spend zero time in Immigration Offices. I couldn't even tell you where that office is, in Cambodia. No need to know.

• Like 1

andy

How will the new visa help me? And many others. I come into Thailand on a entry stamp for 30 days. When I return from the other bordering countries I have again a 30 day entry stamp. "This is free". Do you honestly think this will stay like this, and still be available at zero cost!

Have the Thais got it right? To be a foreigner you will pay highly to stay long term in their country. Or at the least show your large "investment" on paper.

phuketrichard

it wont help you ONE BIT nor will it help others as i said before.

You can get a double entry visa in Laos for 2,000 baht

after 60 days get a 30 day in country extension for 1,900

leave after 90 days to the border

Malaysia free entry

Myanmar $10

Cambodia $30

Laos ( if American ) $35

come back in than ur good for another 60 days

To be a foreigner you will pay highly to stay long term in their country. Or at the least show your large "investment" on paper.

HUH?  I told you above what it cost to stay here long term  1,900 baht/year if over 50 or married.

andy where do u live as its quite obvious u dont live here and cant read what i write.

andy

Sorry PR I am reading what you write! I am not judging you my friend. You are very wise and knowledgeable, lived in Thailand for a very long time. I wish I had known you when I half lived in Thailand and England when I was married to a Thai national. Unfortunately for me I am under retirement age. So I have to work for a living! I would work with my business in the UK half of the year! Sometimes in stages. So I could be working in the UK for 2 months, then back in Thailand for 3 to 5 months! All over the place really, not ideal. I would have to pay for the privileges of both countries! Our so called multi national country never had made it easy for my Thai wife to come back and forth. And Thailand business is not the easiest country. Now I am in Cambodia. The country is easier for now.

phuketrichard

is ur Thai wife with you in Cambodia?

all the time u were with ur thai wife u qualified for either a 1 year visa or a 1 year extension.

Best of luck

If all goes tits up, i might have to move back to Cambodia, ( not because of trouble with my visa but the extension for my Cambodian gf)

but will do everything i can so  i dont have to  :-)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Parrothead

If all goes tits up, i might have to move back to Cambodia,

I would - personally, LOVE to see this. :D :D 

You would be bitching more than you do now, about Cambodia. :D

• Like 1

andy

My relationship was over some years ago, by agreement between us both. We remain best of friends.

Now I am with my Cambodian girlfriend in Cambodia looking for a new business adventure.

I hope all works out for you and your girlfriend. But I hear with the Association of the South East Asian Nations (ASEAN). The visa should get easier for your girlfriend.

I like Thailand! The people are good, the food is great, the infrastructure works well, and its very comfortable.

But like I have previously said I need to work, and Thailand has too many restrictions for the westerner.

Cambodia is no where near has developed as its neighbour. But it's what you make of the situation. Easy for now with little restrictions.

Parrothead

Thailand has too many restrictions for the westerner.

I will admit, had it not been so difficult to deal with the visa situation there, I would have stayed. I wouldn't have remained in Pattaya, though. But, I did have a screaming deal in a condo there. I was paying 6,000 THB for a 13th floor condo, in a building where the cheapest rent I knew anyone else was paying, was 7,500 THB. I was paying 2,000 THB / month for motorbike rental. Many places here in Cambodia, want more than that, for lesser quality motorbikes. (I was renting one of those fancy automatic Hondas. They get more than that for the manual shift bikes, here.)

And, like you said, I loved the cuisine. Not to mention, the Australian burger place (a cart / trailer shop) and the subway sandwiches that I loved!