SydneyTravels

Question about Thai-Cambodia overland crossings, multiple times in 2 months

SydneyTravels

Hello,

Have run into quite a clusterfuxk situation with the ngo I am here to support & it looks as though I will need to leave it (for my sanity) which means I need to do another border crossing to void the ngo visa & reenter with a tourist visa.

Just last month I did an overland crossing to Thailand to get the ngo visa. The question I'm having trouble getting the answer to is whether or not I will have problem with the Thai officials while doing another overland crossing since I was there so recently for a run.

Some places say no problem & some places say it is not possible. I am just not sure which information comes from reputable sources. My guess is that it will be no problem since I qualify for the free 15 day visa in Thailand & the Cambodian government is always happy to take money off people.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Parrothead

Hello,

Have run into quite a clusterfuxk situation with the ngo I am here to support & it looks as though I will need to leave it (for my sanity) which means I need to do another border crossing to void the ngo visa & reenter with a tourist visa.

Just last month I did an overland crossing to Thailand to get the ngo visa. The question I'm having trouble getting the answer to is whether or not I will have problem with the Thai officials while doing another overland crossing since I was there so recently for a run.

Some places say no problem & some places say it is not possible. I am just not sure which information comes from reputable sources. My guess is that it will be no problem since I qualify for the free 15 day visa in Thailand & the Cambodian government is always happy to take money off people.

Thank you for your help!

Especially if you intend on staying at least over night, I am pretty certain you will have no issues.

• Like 1

phuketrichard

depends of the border , the number of days u were last in Thailand and the number of visa exempt stamps u have.

there is no yes or no answer.

SydneyTravels

The last time I crossed, I was only in Thailand for a few hours to eat & then cross back into Cambodia. I crossed in Poipet that time & as much as I found that to be frustrating, it is the devil I know. However, on this trip, I would stay overnight in Thailand to, hopefully, avoid any issues.

I did look at the PP/HCMC option, but I am still researching the process for that & comparing costs. While the process for Vietnam seems fairly straightforward, I am trying to keep expenses down & the added cost of the visa for Vietnam (plus travel agent fee) versus the free visa for Thailand might be the deciding factor. 

Thank you both for the information!

Dante

Hi All,

I'd appreciate if anyone could  help me on this issue. I might be in a situation where I can visit Cambodia a good number of times during the year maybe monthly. I want to stay in koh kong for maybe a week or two and then return to my home country. I would be entering and leaving on a land crossing through Hat Lek to Thailand and flying out from Trat to Bangkok then home. 

Am I limited to just two visas per year only? Is it the Thai or Cambodian authorities that limit the visas or both? 

At the very most I would only be staying in Thailand for 1 night depending on flight times. It could be the case that I'd be only transiting through thailand. 

I believe I could avoid the land crossing visa restrictions if I fly in to Cambodia, but then I'd have to travel by taxi/ bus all the way to Koh Kong. I think it's about a six hour journey. I'd prefer not to have to that!  Any suggestions or helpful info would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Aussie/ EU Passports

Parrothead
4 minutes ago, Dante said:

Aussie/ EU Passports

While I cannot comment on Australian or European passports, I can say this with certainty. A guy I know, in fact, who lives not too far from the farm, got nailed when trying to cross over to Thailand a 3rd time in less than a year. In his defense, he was unaware of that little rule. Not sure if others here may know, or if you should contact your local Thai Embassy. 

I wouldn't try it until I know for sure, though. 

Flying in and out, will not be affected in any way. This does only apply to land / border crossings. 

Another reason to stay my ass out of Thailand, as they are becoming too arrogant for their own good. 

andy
10 minutes ago, Dante said:

I believe I could avoid the land crossing visa restrictions if I fly in to Cambodia, but then I'd have to travel by taxi/ bus all the way to Koh Kong. I think it's about a six hour journey. I'd prefer not to have to that!  Any suggestions or helpful info would be much appreciated. 

Dante you seem to be doing what I did in the beginning. But I was only at first coming into Cambodia,

on border runs from Thailand. If I have ever travelled from the UK and back, I always use Suvarnabhumi airport Bangkok. Why? Because it's easy and enjoyable. There is many ways to travel from there to Koh Kong. The easiest is to get a taxi from the airport door to the boarder Hat Lek. (as you said). The last time (this year) I got on the train at the airport and went into the city and stayed the night. Then the day after went to Ekkami bus station. Bus every hour to Trat, large or mini bus is up to you, 230baht. Then mini bus from the bus station in Trat to the border 120baht.

Or you could get the Airport bus to Pattaya 120baht 2.5 hours. Spend a night or two in the city. Book a mini bus at a travel agent to the border, they will pick you up in the morning from your hotel 300baht 3.5 hours.

The two border restrictions won't effect you until you did a third trip. If that is the case, on that trip I would just get a Thai visa from the UK.

39 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

I wouldn't try it until I know for sure, though. 

Only two land crossings allowed to obtain a free "Entry Stamp" into Thailand. (Flights, and current Thai visa) no problem.

46 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Another reason to stay my ass out of Thailand, as they are becoming too arrogant for their own good. 

Lets hope Cambodia don't follow suit on border restrictions. At least now the EG EOS is obtainable more then once. But then again there are more countries around Cambodia. But Thailand is the only one what is on the doorstep, easy and convenient no cost until re-entry into Cambodia.

Vietnam is also free for 15 days. 

phuketrichard

Only two land crossings allowed to obtain a free "Entry Stamp" into Thailand. (Flights, and current Thai visa) no problem.

totally WRONG,

every thai land border issues a this VISA EXEMPT stamp.. 30 day stay

MAX 2 allowed /calendar year

NO idea why u use Bangkok for Oz flights,

just fly PP- KL or Singapore and onwards

dicey eye

Best option is fly into PP and bus or taxi to KK.

Thailand from my experience of four years traveling between Myanmar and Cambodia and having to transit through Thailand was the authorities are kinda snotty.

Dante

It looks like I'm caught by the 2 visa a year restrictions, even though I would not be living in Thailand. I believe these restrictions were brought in originally to curb the numbers of people using cambodia for "visa runs". 

I wonder , as I have two passports, could I switch passports after using two entries to Thailand? I mean use Aussie passport for the first two journeys , and my EU passport for the other two. Or is the limit per person, in which case I'd get caught out again. I read on thai visa forum  the immigration computer system picks up dual nationality. 

To be on the safe side, I think I'll do as Parrothead suggested and check with the Thai Embassy. 

Travelling from PP by road to KK is going to be a giant pain, if I have to do it. 

Thanks all for your helpful replies.