SydneyTravels

Question about Thai-Cambodia overland crossings, multiple times in 2 months

andy

I  also used to get 2 month tourist visas in the Uk for Thailand in the past and still do border runs at the end. Re-enter and get a visa exempted stamp.

Dante
8 minutes ago, andy said:

I'm confused Dante. You are talking about visiting for one month or so. You can do two land crossings in the year. On your first visit you will only use one, that is on your return back intoThailand.

A friend of mine has used his with. Well the last time having to go out of the country and return with a EB visa so he could get his EG EOS. He wants to go back into Thailand for the moto gp later in the year. The quote for the Thai visa is 50usd. I still have one entry left if I join him.

Sorry for the confusion Andy I was enquiring about MONTHLY visits i.e I could (potentially) be making 12 visits in 1 year. Like you said previously it's easier to use bangkok airport and travel to Trat then on to border. This is the route I'd like to take also, I'd probably fly to Trat then taxi to border. But this is all conditional on some personal things working out for me. At this stage I'm only sounding things out, so I know exactly what's involved.

• Like 1

phuketrichard
7 hours ago, Dante said:

It looks like I'm caught by the 2 visa a year restrictions, even though I would not be living in Thailand. I believe these restrictions were brought in originally to curb the numbers of people using cambodia for "visa runs". 

I wonder , as I have two passports, could I switch passports after using two entries to Thailand? I mean use Aussie passport for the first two journeys , and my EU passport for the other two. Or is the limit per person, in which case I'd get caught out again. I read on thai visa forum  the immigration computer system picks up dual nationality. 

To be on the safe side, I think I'll do as Parrothead suggested and check with the Thai Embassy. 

Travelling from PP by road to KK is going to be a giant pain, if I have to do it. 

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

You cant switch passports on ANY land border,need fly in >
2 visa exempt land entries/passport, but if u have a visa no problem. Get a 6 month metv in Australia an ur good for almost 9 months with unlimited entries.

6 hours ago, andy said:

How is my quote totally wrong?

Two land crossings. 2 entry stamps.

Thai visas would allow you to cross again.

sorry i read it wrong as thought u said only 2 borders give visa exempt entries

MY bad  :-)

• Like 2

dicey eye
16 hours ago, Dante said:

Any suggestions or helpful info would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

My personal experience traveling several times from BKK to the Hat Lek border the trip has taken the same amount of time as traveling from PP to KK. – both about 7 hours.

A couple times the bus I hired in BKK which advertised a non-stop trip to Hat Lek, stopped off in Trat and there was a 2-3-4 hourextra wait for the next bus. One time I took a taxi from Trat to Hat Lek and it cost me an arm and a leg.

If I were making the trip from Oz to Koh Kong, I’d fly into PP and get a taxi to KK.

Also the second half of the PP to KK trip is through the mountains, which are picturesque. Visually stunning.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1

Dante
5 hours ago, andy said:

New passport office in KK

Andy, is this correct? A new passport office in Koh Kong ....for Khmers ?

Where abouts is it do you know?  

andy
29 minutes ago, Dante said:

Andy, is this correct? A new passport office in Koh Kong ....for Khmers ?

Where abouts is it do you know?  

It's only for Khmer.

andy

Dicey done it by taxi before 4 1/2 hours.

Thai transport is more comfortable too.

Cardemons can be seen like I have today. On the way to Phnom Penh and later back again. I am approaching the capital now. It's rained all the way. Seen a bit of flooding down the other side of the mountains, the roads are ruined. 

You lot of posters have kept me busy on my journey. Thanks so much guys. I will post later. Just now I have a moto ride in PP traffic. Fun and games.

Parrothead
4 hours ago, John_Galt said:

A little like refusing to go back to a resturuant because you had a rude waitress. 

Not at all. That is one of a number of incidents with Thais. They are rude, arrogant, and racist as hell. They make out as though it is a privilege for a foreigner to be allowed to visit there. Feck 'em. They can keep their shit country, for all I care. 

mollydooker

Wow !! ....wait for the flak now Paul from you know who !! ...lol ...

• Funny 1

John_Galt

Looks like you have a few different options now @Dante

32 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Not at all. That is one of a number of incidents with Thais. They are rude, arrogant, and racist as hell. They make out as though it is a privilege for a foreigner to be allowed to visit there. Feck 'em. They can keep their shit country, for all I care. 

If you were basing it off of the 1 person. 

I have only ever been in the touristy areas in Thailand but I definitely get the feeling they just want my money then for me to leave.

In Siem Reap some places I feel like they are trying to get as much money as they can but I never get the feeling that they want me to leave.