• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      While rice is really the last thing I ever wish to plant, Chan and I talked about it early this year. So, after buying seed, putting it in the ground, fertilizing it when necessary, and praying enough rain would come to feed the rice, harvest finally arrived. 

The harvester arrived last evening. A few friends of her nephew showed up as well, to help bag the harvest. 

Not a very good one this year, due to late rains, though. Twenty-seven bags of rice were harvested from two hectares of land.

Will see how much (weight) we yielded soon, when it is sold. I hope we at least have a bit of spending money left over, afterward. 
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      So, January of last year (2016), we dug a new pond, filled in an old pond, and added a bit more fill dirt about to expand the higher land at the farm. 

Running a bit behind, mostly due to rainy season lasting into January of this year, and delays in getting funds transferred. But, we are here now. Chan rang the farm today, learning the dirt guys were across the road working. Talk about timing. She got off the phone and let me know what was happening. So, for tomorrow (Monday the 13th), we agreed to pay $8.00 per load of dirt, delivered and filled in to continue expanding the higher property so we will be able to expand the farm with livestock. We will build a larger barn for the cows, to allow for those to have needed room, and for future cows, as well. 

A bit later, someone rang us from the farm. It was a neighbor who lives very close by, letting us know she would like a pond dug. So, it looks like this could be a win-win situation for us, and the neighbor. Due to them being so close to the property, we will get the loads of dirt needed, at $7.00 each. Possibly even cheaper. (Negotiating tomorrow, at the farm.) We will start with another, oh, 50 to 60 loads or so, then see where that puts us. So, it looks like there is no need for us to dig another pond, or expand our current pond at the farm, at this time.  
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Lookin' at building a house - down the road anyway. But, for starters, we had to start filling in a pond and raise the land around it. (Previously, the land had been used for rice farming.) 

The new pond is 12.3m x 10.6m x 4m. The "old" pond was 19m x 9m x 3m.

Old pond:

Now, it looks like this:

The new pond looks like this:

Ultimately, we will build a small house on top of where the "old" pond was. Will have to add more fill dirt first, though, due to massive settling expected. 
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I was noticing Chan using a small fish net while looking into the fish tank, fairly often. I didn't realize that, for a while, she had been doing this to clean fish and food waste from the top of the water column. I looked at the tank after the next feeding. I noticed a large amount floating on and just under the surface of the water.

I had been considering going with a skimmer for some time. But, at that time, I had not yet transferred the junior Tilapia to the tank with the larger fish. So, only ten fish were creating this massive amount of waste. I could only imagine what it would look like after I had over 50 fish in the tank. 

So, Tha came by and off to the hardware and plumbing stores he went. 

I decided to go with 25mm (1") PVC system, mainly due to the fact that I had a drain that wasn't really being used in the RFF (Radial Flow Filter). This would also prevent me from having to pop another hole in the RFF, AND would save me from having to use another 25mm (1") Uniseal. So, it was convenient - very convenient.

To be perfectly honest, I waited to open the skimmer valve up until after a feeding, just so viewers can see how well it actually works. Take a peak now:

A view of the pipe routing from the outside of the fish tank:

What a new, unmodified 75mm to 25mm (3" to 1") PVC bell reducer looks like.

The modified bell reducer we are using for the skimmer. It was taken from the bottom of the RFF, since we never used that to drain the filter anyway.

Parts / Tools Required:   1 - drill motor 1 - file to smooth edges of PVC after cutting 1 - hack saw or PVC cutters 1 - 1 3/4" (44mm) hole saw with pilot bit 2 - 25mm (1") Uniseals 1 - 25mm (1") ball valve 1 - can of PVC glue. (Some folks use primer. I never have. As long as it is glued properly in the first place, PVC will not leak.) 1 - 75mm to 25mm (3" to 1") PVC bell reducer. I modified mine as you can see in the video. However, that isn't necessary for it to work. I feel it does function better, though, notched at the top (on the 75mm (3") end.) Several (I used 4, but depends on your tank / filter locations) 90° - 25mm (1") PVC elbows. A length of 25mm (1") PVC pipe. (This length, again, will depend on the distance between your tank and your filter.         Stay tuned. Another addition-to-the-system write up coming in the morning.
    • andy
      By andy
      Countries in the ASEAN* region have set up a Food and Feed Insects Association (AFFIA). With AFFIA, those involved in insect application for feed and food join forces.

Using insects for feed and food is a young sector in the ASEAN region. The mission and aim of AFFIA is to bring industry and research stakeholders from the insects sector in a collaborative movement towards the development of entomoculture, entomophagy and their related activities.

Objectives have been formulated and include:
      •Define regulatory requirements at National and ASEAN levels for insect products and work in collaboration with the related authorities (national, regional, international)
      •Work together on access to markets, at local regional and international levels, especially EU and US market
      •Work in sub-groups under two main sectors called ‘Food’ and ‘Feed’. Food includes insect species having most of their applications as human food (e.g. pet food [crickets]). Feed includes insect species having most of their applications as animal feed (e.g. waste management)
      •Promote the consumption of insects
      •Work together on transboundary issues to define shared positions (e.g. halal status)

AFFIA had it first meeting in South East Asia where the stakeholders discussed how shared development goals are overcoming national differences. Next steps include to define the activities, and mapping the industry in South East Asia, to make sure all the important insect industry players will be included in the network.

Read all the latest news and articles about insects in feed in the New Proteins dossier.

With AFFIA, the insect for feed and food sector is becoming a true global network and forms a valuable addition to the existing networks: the International Platform for Insects as Food and Feed (IPIFF), the North American Edible Insects Association (NAEIC).

*ASEAN: Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Brunei.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.