Parrothead

Raising Pigs is definitely a possibility

Parrothead

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG5.PNG

Asian Black Pig - If available in Cambodia. In Thailand I have friends who rear Black Pigs. The costs are variable! But at the time I was out with them in the countryside. Pink piglets were 600-800 baht. Black piglets 800-1000 baht. The price at market for the grown Pink pig was 5000 baht. Black pig 7000 baht. Problems I was to understand, were you would be guaranteed a good price if you where involved with the buyer, whom would sell you the piglet and the pig food!!! But to do it independently! Black Pig was in demand, and good eating.

Hands on Educational Aquaponics Center - When fully operational, for anyone who has an interest and would like to learn.    

I wanted to start a new topic about them, since you mentioned pigs. A friend of Chan's tried raising pigs for a year or two, here in Battambang. They recently lost every one of the animals to a disease. Not sure what it was that killed them. I'm pretty sure it was because she and her hsuband didn't immunize the entire (not sure what you call a group of pigs? a swine?) group, though. 

When we first started in chickens, the same thing happened to us. It was Newcastle disease that killed our chickens, though. After that first flock was lost, we learned our lesson and immunized all others afterward. Never lost another chicken to it, although the neighbors lost countless birds. A simple, and very cheap medication could have prevented that from happening. :(  

Anyway, until you mentioned it, I hadn't really even thought of raising pigs. But, I certainly am not above doing that, for sure. We have a fair amount of land to put them on - pigs would be at southernmost area of the property. Then, just pray that no winds come out of the south. LOL 

• Like 1

phuketrichard

girl friend and family have been Raising pigs for years,

fecking smell

i hate them

Parrothead

girl friend and family have been Raising pigs for years,

fecking smell

i hate them

Do you find they make decent money off them? Or, just enough to get by on?

andy

I am happy you have started this Post Paul. Like my interest in Aquaponics, I have an interest in Pigs. As I have talked about in the Aquaponics Post, I would like to combine, Fish, Plant, Pigs.

Early in 2015 I came to Cambodia. On a short one to two weeks visit from Thailand (a small holiday, and to get myself a new return entry stamp, for 30 days stay back in Thailand). "It did not work out like that".

I was introduced to a man only a few years older than me, whom originated, 2 miles away from my own home in England "The world is a very small place".

He was very ill, the Doctors back in the UK had told him, that there was no cure for his illness, and he would have about four months to live! he was half way into this when I met him.

He himself had returned to the Kingdom, and decided to live out his life happily, with his Cambodian girlfriend and her family.

They moved from the countryside to civilization. His girlfriend had opened a business near their home. Now he was comfortable and settled in the border town, where he could travel into Thailand for hospital treatment, if needed and when necessary.

I would visit my new friend daily for the next six weeks, we would talk about many things, but we mainly talked of our passions. Pig and Aquaponics Farming. More to the point the working combination of the two. He was a successful Pig farmer in Cambodia.

Sadly within weeks after my return home, my friends girlfriend telephoned me to let me know he had passed away.

On my return back to Cambodia later in the year, I called to see her and the family to wish them well. All was good! she now had two businesses.

But the farm was finished, and sadly no more talk of Pigs.

Edited by andy
  • Like 1

andy

Firstly I  would like to say I am not a farmer, and definitely not an expert in this subject. 

Back in my youth as a young schoolboy, in England. I would earn myself a little pocket money by working, before and after school hours on the local farms.

I enjoyed the Pig Farms, two Farms, both with different farming method's.

The first farm - would have the 2000 pigs housed in sty's. The daily feed would be milled grains, and a continues flow of milk-water. For the last month before going to slaughter, they would have their food complimented with chocolate biscuit's to rapidly gain the required weight.

The second farm - Would have the 500 pigs living in the woodland, mostly foraging for themselves. Although grains and vegetable's would be supplemented if needed, along with daily fresh drinking water.

The Third farm could be more relevant. 

The Thai Farm - Thai friends I have mentioned with the Black Pigs.(they actually had Black and Pink). Housed their pigs in sty's - 5 to 8 pigs per sty, depending on the size of animal. (special care was used to keep the animals cool). They had 5 sty's. On average at on time 25 pigs. Approximately every 2 months, 5 pigs would be sold and replaced by 5 piglets. (good rotation). Their animals would be feed mainly fruit and veg.

All good housekeeping where needed and used on all farms.

This maybe of interest -  It would be ideal to buy Piglets at the age of 8 to 10 weeks, properly weaned and eating solid food.

They should be healthy and active, free moving and curious with healthy skin, bright eyes, no coughs, no stiffness in their movement and no limps.

Feeding the pig from 8 weeks to slaughter, 5 to 6 months. It will eat 0.45kg of feed per day for each month of age to a maximum of 2.75kg. On the whole per pig 200kg of food.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Goats, another topic that just came to mind. :D

Parrothead

I am happy you have started this Post Paul. Like my interest in Aquaponics, I have an interest in Pigs. As I have talked about in the Aquaponics Post, I would like to combine, Fish, Plant, Pigs.

Thanks. Just trying to think of farming topics that would work for rural living. 

Firstly I  would like to say I am not a farmer, and definitely not an expert in this subject. 

By the information you posted, you seem to have a handle on it. So, I would say you are well voiced in the subject. 

Chan was just saying she thought piglets would cost about $50 USD / each, here. I will see if we can find any cheaper.

Looks like I may have to fence in part of the land for animals. 

andy

Thanks. Just trying to think of farming topics that would work for rural living. 

Chan was just saying she thought piglets would cost about $50 USD / each, here. I will see if we can find any cheaper.

Looks like I may have to fence in part of the land for animals. 

It all depends what livestock are available in SE Asia. Or more to the point the country there you are residing in. SE Asia never seems to stop surprizing me! GOATS.

post-1230-0-11338200-1453233608.png

Photo only for illustration purpose.

Are there Goats in Cambodia?

When I was married to my beloved Thai. We went to visit one of her friends above Nakhon Ratchasima, Her friend told me her brother kept one or two Goats, and it was hard work for him. "I replied with interest" The following day we went to visit.

I was amazed! he had approximately 300 give or take one or two. Obviously his market was mainly the Muslims.

Another farm animal I saw in Thailand (Hua Hin) was a sheep.

So the piglet is around $50. What is its price when grown, ready for slaughter?

Fencing - Things again to consider! For what animals, can they dig or jump, how many, what size area.

With the Pigs in the woodland I had talked about. The fence was a two strand electric. First strand about 6" from the ground, the second about 2' Pigs can dig but don't jump. Could be a good low cost option for you and your solar projects, if it would work.

Plus one more thing comes to mind! if you want land clearing! such as the paddy field after harvest time "or your neighbour's land."

The explanation of the Pigs eating habit is to eat what is on top of the land, and then what is under it. And with the electric fence! It is portable.

Edited by andy

Parrothead
Are there Goats in Cambodia?

Yes, people raise them here.

So the piglet is around $50. What is its price when grown, ready for slaughter?

She doesn't know. The friend of hers that raised pigs, but recently stopped. As I mentioned in another post, they lost all their pigs due to not immunizing them. Chan said it was about $2,000 USD worth of pigs. Not exactly a small loss. I will have her ring up her friend tomorrow.

Another farm animal I saw in Thailand (Hua Hin) was a sheep.

Only place I have seen sheep, in SE Asia, was the Philippines. That was on one farm. In fact, that was during all my time in country. I took a double take to see them, actually. 

Fencing - Things again to consider! For what animals, can they dig or jump, how many, what size area.

She (Chan) was saying fencing would be needed for the goats, because the dogs would chase them otherwise? Not really sure about that. Fencing would be a good idea, though. It would help keep thieves at bay. Maybe some serious LED perimeter night lighting. Or, even better, some infra-red night vision cameras and NO visible lighting. The cameras would be able to "see" better without artificial light in the area. Then, just have an infra-red flood lamp or two, to flood the area so the cameras would not have any problems viewing the coverage area. 

The fence was a two strand electric. First strand about 6" from the ground, the second about 2' Pigs can dig but don't jump. Could be a good low cost option for you and your solar projects, if it would work.

They make solar powered electric fence chargers. So, that wouldn't be an issue.  

Add electric fencing around the perimeter of the farm, and around each set of pens - goats, pigs, chickens, etc.

Here, as you may know already, they let their cows just roam during the day, only tying them up at night. If I go with cows, I would hire someone to take care of them every day, but not just let them roam freely everywhere like the Khmers do.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Parrothead

Andy, do you know about how much the pigs weighed at their 5 to 6 months market weight? 

She told us they bought the piglets at one month old. The price to buy was about $40. They sold the pigs at 100 kgs, which was usually about 3.5 to 4 months. The price would change due to market rate. But, roughly, she said the price was about $200 USD.

That sound about what you know from your experience before? 

Edited by Paul