andy

can you buy a boat?

andy

Some time ago I was listening to a conversation. A group of westerners were talking about how good it would be to buy and live on a boat.

I have a few questions? Can a westerner buy a fishing boat? Would there be any restrictions? Could you work the boat?

post-1230-0-25801000-1453765797_thumb.jpg

How much would it cost?

post-1230-0-60523900-1453765829_thumb.jpg

Could you freely sail Cambodian waters?

Parrothead

I wish I knew, Andy. Apparently, no one else does either. 

Guest Kenny

I don't see why not Andy, but to work it? Different story I would think.

phuketrichard

Yes;

i know people that have brought their boat into Cambodia  ( Rony at sailcambodia) and are chartering

those that brought boats in Cambodia  ( there is a guy on K440 that has one or two of those evening cruise type boats on the tonle sap

those that have boats Built in Cambodia  ( Roberts drunk cruise)

There are no restrictions on working anywhere in Cambodia.

• Like 1

andy

Thank you all for the replies. I asked the question because I did not know. Richard, it is always helpful when you know of people who have done this before. Not having work restrictions in a country is helpful. I suppose you would be able to set sail to the few Thai islands too. That is if you have the paperwork in order for the Thai authorities. Just the same as taking a car over the border.

post-1230-0-76862500-1454016026_thumb.jpg

Idyllic lifestyle.   

Bill H

When I get there, I will be very serious about building and operating boats there.  I'll let ya'all know what I find out.

• Like 3

phuketrichard

go talk to rony at sail Cambodia,  http://www.sailcambodia.info/

American , great friend an guy an knows everything u want to know about it, PLUS the pitfalls

been in shv about 9 years now

andy

I will be looking for a small boat when the house is complete. To be honest the Laos boats on the river are a better build. But here is the problem again! Nether me or the wife speak Laos!!!

Oz Jon

I will be looking for a small boat when the house is complete. To be honest the Laos boats on the river are a better build. But here is the problem again! Nether me or the wife speak Laos!!!

Just curious! - Laos is landlocked, so presumably any boat you buy in Laos would have to come down the river.

You showed photos of rapids and falls. Are they between you and Laos? or between you and the sea?

How do you get a boat past them to go to Thailand?

Is there a navigable route from Laos to the sea?

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1

andy

No! The rapids are below me on the river heading on it's way down Cambodia. Opposite me on the other bank is Laos. Up river is Thailand. So in all I am in a good position.