andy

can you buy a boat?

Parrothead
3 hours ago, Wiley54 said:

I did repair work on many fiberglass boats 10+ years ago. Fiberglass over wood was the most common for home builders. Polyester resin cost $150 for five gal. You do you initial layup with the polyester resin then two top coats with epoxy at a cost of $444 for 5 gal. at West Marine. The epoxy top coats prevented blistering. Number one and most important about both polyester or epoxy is when you think you have mixed the two parts together enough keep stirring and mixing. The most common mistake is not mixing enough. Use a mixing stick that will get into all parts of the mixing container. On hot days keep the mixing container in a bath of cold water to prevent the mix from setting off in the container. Be very careful to prevent any water, including sweat from contaminating the mix. Chopped fiberglass is the most common method in industrial use today + bagging and vacuum. Check youtube for proper vacuum methods. Also never mix more than you need, one piece of cloth at a time. To cut a straight line in fiberglass cloth remove two threads of fiberglass from the cloth and cut along the line. 

I know absolutely nothing about boats, even though I lived on the water - that is, aside from how to operate them. But, sounds fine, err, confusing to me. :D

Wiley54

In the bay area of California we have many ways of describing boat ownership. Here are just two of them. Motor boats are mostly used in the summer. After paying for a year on rent at he not so local harbor and a winter season of neglect, plus the cost of pulling the boat out of the water to clean and check for blisters and the added expense of the mechanic overhauling the motor many mariners found it easer to not have a boat at all. Just fill a medium size bucket with hundred dollar bills, walk to the end of the dock and dump it in the water. Cost the same with little to no frustration. Also bring an extra propeller and proper size carter pin

Sailing in the bay area is mostly  done in to winter. Windy but cold. Save yourself the agony and repairs. Put on a rain coat, stand in a cold shower and tear up one hundred dollar bills

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Oz Jon

I can relate to that Wiley54 ....  the maintenance and expenses never end!

But boats do keep you fit.... if for no other reason than all the climbing up and down! - Lol!

Cheers

Edited by Oz Jon

andy
1 hour ago, Oz Jon said:

I can relate to that Wiley54 ....  the maintenance and expenses never end!

But boats do keep you fit.... if for no other reason than all the climbing up and down! - Lol!

Cheers

Yes there is maintenance with mostly all boats. I know two wooden boat owners here. One a 16metre and a 14metre. Costs from both owners tell me, to bring it out of the water once a year at a good boatyard, and clean, treat and re-paint is $300 to $500.