andy

can you buy a boat?

Bill H

Andy, I cannot speak directly about Cambodia, but my guess that the Philippines would not be all that far off regarding the laws and customs.  In the end, the laws are not your problem.  Fishermen are usually a very territorial sort and don't take kindly to someone, especially a foreigner fishing in "their" waters even if those waters are 50 miles out to sea.  I'm not talking about some guy with a rod and reel, I'm talking  commercial enterprises using nets or longlines.  You may be able to get around the laws with a good lawyer and local partners, but the moment you enter someone else's fishing grounds expect a fight and it won't be a pretty one.  They even fight amongst themselves over fishing grounds so you can imagine the chance a foreigner has.  On Cebu, I had some success hiring local men who did not have their own boat and a guy to be Captain to do the actual fishing.  I never went with them so as not to make it too obvious, although everyone knew who owned my boats.  This worked for a while until I discovered the Captain and crew were off loading a good bit of the catch onto "friends" boats leaving me with consistent poor catches.  I pulled the plug on the whole operation once I figured out their scam.

mollydooker

That was always going to happen Bill !!

• Like 1

andy

I pulled the plug on the whole operation once I figured out their scam.

I find that people only live and think for one day here. How did you work out the business. Did you make incentives for the catch they bought in? In some ways maybe you where lucky to get your boats back!!!

Parrothead

I find that people only live and think for one day here.

That is in all of SEA.

• Like 2

andy

That is in all of SEA.

The same point I am trying to make Paul. :)

• Like 1

andy

Now I understand what it is to have a business in "LOW SEASON". Boring to the sad state of depression.

At least I know the people of the northern seaside resorts in my own country had the get out clause of the seasons. The owner's of guest houses and hotels could work alongside government incentives and rent there rooms out long time to asylum seekers, and people of eastern block countries, and the odd drug rehabilitators. Now the owners had incoming money, so they could take themselves to sunny destinations.

In Cambodia there is no get out card. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

So now with little on my hands it is time to look at buying a boat. :) Hopefully before the next season.        

Parrothead

Now I understand what it is to have a business in "LOW SEASON". Boring to the sad state of depression.

I've always said I would never own a business here. Bless those who do.

• Like 1

JohnOBohn

An Aussie owned a bar and boat in Snooky for years.     Ran chartered fishing trips.     Sold the business several years ago.    Don't know the rules for it but am sure he was 100% legit.   The Fishermans Den was the bar/resto/hotel.    The guy that bought the business screwed it up and went broke.   The boat is still in Snooky but just sitting idle.

Parrothead

An Aussie owned a bar and boat in Snooky for years.     Ran chartered fishing trips.     Sold the business several years ago.    Don't know the rules for it but am sure he was 100% legit.   The Fishermans Den was the bar/resto/hotel.    The guy that bought the business screwed it up and went broke.   The boat is still in Snooky but just sitting idle.

Hmmm. Wanna go fishin', John? Apparently, you know where a boat is that isn't being used, currently. :D

Oz Jon

What kind of boat is it?

...power boat?, sail boat?, live-aboard?, ocean-going?,  day tripper?

OK condition? sinking? rotting?

Cheers

Edited by Oz Jon