Parrothead

Buying piglets from the same litter, or different litters?

Parrothead
Here's a stupid question. I brought it up concerning chickens, once. 

Don't get me wrong. I am from South Georgia. So, kissin' cousin's and all that jazz is a given. You know, keepin' it in the family and all? :D 

I just have an issue with males and females from the same litter, mating. So, I would like to probably take a few males from say one liter, and some females from a completely different litter from another supplier. How important is that?

• Like 1

andy

Would you want to be involved with all that breeding? I have worked on farms where they have had a boar, solely for breeding, (that is to say for their own stock, and letting out for stud). There are a few things to consider with keeping a big boy boar. One he is there only to mate, to keep up your stock. Rent him out to other farms if he is good and a good breed in many cases. But you have the expense of feed and his wellbeing for a long time. You will keep him alone because at times he will be aggressive.

It may be less costly to do the reverse. Have a farmer bring his proven prize boar to your sows.

The piglets you buy should also have been castrated at 3 days old.

The common reason for castrating a pig is the fact that their hormones taint the meat.       

Edited by andy

Parrothead

The piglets you buy should also have been castrated at 3 days old.

Dang. I never thought I would feel bad for a pig. :D 

So, any I want to keep for meat need to be castrated?

ron100

castrating boars has been finished with for a long time ,more than 20 yrs on our farm in new zealand ,as there was no proof of  tainting an in fact the boars fattened quicker so meant going to market earlier with more weight on them,

• Like 2

andy

Ron100 What would be you opinion on market weights of the Pig in Cambodia? If it was to say be around the 105kg mark, and the age 0f the Pig around 5 to 6 months (for males). we could rule out castration, and no meat taint. Also would you agree keeping all males lessens the odds? Sows could be left to produce larger weights.

Boar Taint

When male pigs develop sexually puberty at average weights of 105kg, or 5 months of age.

The un-castrated pig at sexual puberty will produce high concentrations of saliva, and an intestinal product called ‘Skatole’ resulting in the meat from the adult male pig giving off an offensive odour, which is called Boar Taint. Which is largely prevented by physical castration.

This odour occurs mainly, but not exclusively, in mature intact male pigs, depending on age, breed and environment, 50 percent or more of all intact male pigs produce pork that has a strong to moderate off-odour when cooked.

While these odours do not represent a food safety concern, they need to be controlled to ensure a high-quality eating experience.

Boar taint is prohibited by food quality regulations in most countries.

I have stressed before on the "Farming Posts". I am not a farmer, and I have limited knowledge! I do wish to learn, like many others on the site! So please farmers like Ron100, or people with farming backgrounds, Join in, and contribute to the posts. 

• Like 1

ron100

yess it would pay to kill them at about that age?? and there is no reason to keep them separate ,i have no experience in the  breds in cambodia but we had about 100 plus sows an would send about 30/40 pigs to the freezing works each week,these were kept inside an feed  on grain,but if run out side they would take a bit longer get to a good weight,an getting good breeding stock would be the key,

when we first had pigs after about a week old we would cut there eye teeth ,cut there tails , an cut the males ,but as time went on we would only cut there eye teeth,

i think it would be best to do what the locals do till u get you feet??,as theirs lot a difference to farming pigs in a control environment in new zealand to outside in cambodia

Edited by ron100
  • Like 2

andy

Thank you Ron100 for the very good, and helpful advice. Yes I agree Cambodia and many parts of Asia, are far from the controlled standards of our western upbringings and farming practices.

Ron100 take a look at my photos of the pigs in Cambodia on the Post -  Raising Pigs is definitely a possibility page 2. 

Edited by andy

Parrothead

i think it would be best to do what the locals do till u get you feet??

There is a lot to be said for this. Learning something from the locals, that has worked for them for ages, is not exactly a dumb thing to do.

• Like 1

andy

Selecting pigs to better meet Asian conditions

Western pig breeds may not always come fully prepared for the Asian reality - full of (different) pathogens and different market needs.

A Thai breeding network aims to select genetic lines - resistant to disease and yielding higher lean meat percentages.

post-1230-0-40587300-1455727903.png

In conventional breeding systems, a nucleus herd is free from diseases. Genetics from a high health breeding nucleus will subsequently be distributed to a production herd. Breeders lower in the breeding pyramid of course always try to keep their production herds as free from diseases as a nucleus herd would be – and also try to maintain similar high health standards, e.g. by applying strict biosecurity measures. This is done to enable the pigs to perform to their full genetic potential so that they can deliver effective and competitive products.

Unfortunately, and relatively common in countries in (South East) Asia, the breeding pyramid outside the nucleus farm often fails to provide similar standards. Besides, it is nearly impossible to exclude diseases from a herd. There are 2 major reasons explaining why.

1. Pathogens are naturally present all around;
  2. When parent stock gilts are brought in a production herd for replacement, endemic pathogen inbreeding will increase heterosis – the phenomenon that organisms have enhanced traits as a result of a mix of genetic contributions. When this happens to pathogens, it causes epidemic diseases.

Buying breeding stock

In Asia, some pig producers buy breeding stock from Europe and the US with the expectation that the imported genetics will result in a giant leap forward for their breeding programmes. In doing so, they often make false assumptions when comparing their current performance and projected farm performance. They expect to see a lift in performance, but performance figures are not straightforward phenomena.

Edited by andy