TBar123

Considering the BIG move.

TBar123

Hello and thank you for the kind welcome. I've visited Cambodia several times and loved it. Am at a place in life where I'm considering moving there. I've visited Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville but have been reading about Battambang and hoping to learn more about it. Candid and helpful info to help make my decision. Thank you again.

Parrothead

It's pretty laid back here, Tom, by comparison to other cities in the country. But, utilities are reliable. Power is much more reliable than in Sihanoukville. Internet is fast and reliable, water has never been cut off in all my time here.

I am happier here than I have been elsewhere in the country.

• Like 2

phuketrichard

visiting and living are worlds apart,

dont burn any bridges

• Like 3

andy

visiting and living are worlds apart,

dont burn any bridges

Very wise words and good advice Richard! I will be shortly making the move to Cambodia. But when I come, my bridges will be removed. For my thinking is that, if you have a safety net! A bridge to return over. Would you give 100% to your new living venture? Or would it be another holiday? 

PS. Hello and welcome to the forum TBar123.

Edited by andy
  • Like 1

Parrothead

Hello and thank you for the kind welcome. I've visited Cambodia several times and loved it. Am at a place in life where I'm considering moving there. I've visited Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville but have been reading about Battambang and hoping to learn more about it. Candid and helpful info to help make my decision. Thank you again.

Tom, do you have interests to help keep you busy? As you can see by some of the threads on this forum, there is a lot to keep Andy, and myself, busy in country. Personally, I want to help others if I can. 

• Like 2

TBar123

Yes, I have a number of interests as well as hobbies. That said however, I will still need to find work. I've read that teaching English seems to be a fairly popular job. I'm thinking about taking a trip late next month to see Battambang first hand and see if I can logistically make the big move. I have a healthy enough savings and realize teachers there aren't going to get rich.

Any good suggestions on hotels or guesthouses in Battambang?

Parrothead

Any good suggestions on hotels or guesthouses in Battambang?

How long of a stay? There may be some units (apartments) available where we are staying. I can ask the landlord. It would be cheaper than staying at a guesthouse, depending on how long you will be here.

• Like 2

TBar123

For this trip I'm thinking 2-3 weeks. Would want to visit some of the schools there.

Thank you.

Parrothead

For this trip I'm thinking 2-3 weeks. Would want to visit some of the schools there.

Thank you.

I know our landlord does rent for "short terms". One lady just moved in and will be here for two months. Would you like me to inquire as to what the rate would be for someone interested in staying for only two to three weeks, IF they would consider that short of a term? 

My reasoning here is, if you can find a short term apartment, you will be better off (READ: cheaper) than if staying in a hotel / guesthouse, locally. Not to mention, there are at least three schools near here, if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1

TBar123

I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you.