andy

Aeroponics Farming

andy

Aeroponics

We have talked about Aquaponics and hydroponics. Now one more type, of this way of farming to be considered is Aeroponics. This is the process of growing plants in an air or mist environment. The fine particles of air laden water are sprayed directly onto the plants exposed roots.

Roots would be contained Using a closed system, and mostly free from outside pests. Spraying the plant roots with a fine mist of nutrient- rich solution from the aquatics will provide the plants with a micro environment.

post-1230-0-00266900-1455113132_thumb.png

​I would suggest with the Aquaponics system I have proposed in this Post, is that the Aeroponic components would be built into the N.F.T (Nutrient Film Technique) system. (Safeguarding the plant growth).

Using a low-pressure pump via micro jets, to deliver nutrient solution direct to the plant roots, and the N.F.T system reservoir filling from the surplus spray, would mean the both systems are working in conjunction in the task of feeding the plants.

The Aeroponis will be easy serviceable, and the system would still run on N.F.T.

Parrothead

Geez, man. How many types of "ponics" are there? :D 

• Like 1

andy

Paul I can only find four in the english dictonary - aeroponics - aquaponics - geoponics - hydroponics.

• Like 1

Guest Kenny

I tried it using aquarium air stones way back in the eighties.

It's a lot of messing about for very little reward, unless you have a high value crop.

One needs to be careful with all these 'ponic' methods that one treats them as what they are, a hobby.

If at all possible, dirt farming will pay much bigger dividends.

Parrothead

One needs to be careful with all these 'ponic' methods that one treats them as what they are, a hobby.

Well, as I have stated, my primary reasons are to provide us with food that I know for a fact, wasn't hosed down with chemicals. I know what my own chickens eat, as well. We started buying organically farmed vegetables when we started raising chickens. 

Guest Kenny

But Paul, what food can you grow this way?

The most common would have to be lettuce (by FAR the most common)

Tomatoes if your clever but then they all ripen within a week and are gone.

Staples like potatoes, pumpkin, beans, peas etc, not so common.

Just do a Google for images of 'hydroponic' and you'll see 80% or more are leafy greens, mostly lettuce.

Parrothead

But Paul, what food can you grow this way?

The most common would have to be lettuce (by FAR the most common)

Tomatoes if your clever but then they all ripen within a week and are gone.

Staples like potatoes, pumpkin, beans, peas etc, not so common.

Just do a Google for images of 'hydroponic' and you'll see 80% or more are leafy greens, mostly lettuce.

First, we are mixing topics here. To be clear, here, I am talking about running two separate aquaponics systems. I am not talking about aeroponics. 

My plan is to raise / grow:

Fish - Probably Tilapia or another warm water fish, to have to eat and balance the system

Veggies - Cucumbers, beans & peas, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, pak choi, basil, dill and onions.

If I get good with it, I may consider going with carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, and beets.

Personally, I just want to give it a try and see how it works out. Beats the hell out of having to till the land, and then pouring it full of fertilizer and other chemicals. The produce I grow would be totally organic. It would be a better quality product than I would buy from the market. I know know exactly what the fish had consumed their entire lives. 

I am also thinking about more cows (her family raise them already), chickens (they apparently aren't very good at raising), some pigs, and maybe even some goats. I just want enough of each to feed us. Anything over our needs, she could sell.

Personally, I think it would be a great experience for me. Besides, Kenny, what else do I have to do with my time? Why not use it to learn how to do something new? A little money. A little time. A little effort. A little education.

• Like 1

andy

I tried it using aquarium air stones way back in the eighties.

It's a lot of messing about for very little reward, unless you have a high value crop.

I do agree with your logic Kenny, and I value your past experiences in these methods. Soil growing, and shall we call it "Ponics" growing both provide a end result "food". For the likes of Paul and me I think it is something to keep occupied, "body and mind". Also to combine new interests and past skills.  

The forum is good, and works well in the way that it is meant to do.   

• Like 1

andy

Plant growth on steroids

Is this the definition, of growing plants by the way of Aeroponics?

Development started back in the 1920s. This was more to do with the study of plant roots and growth. But today even in early stages, its modern concept is being used, and further development is taking place worldwide.

Because the plant will be grown, with no soil or growing media to enclose the roots system, it will then have no oxygen or nutrient restrictions. Plants grown this way have been proven to produce larger fruit and yields.

I am now taking this method very seriously and thinking of combining it within the Aquaponic-NFT-System. I do understand there will be difficulties to overcome.  Mainly with the Bio-system and keeping the water clean, so not to malfunction the micro jets.  

• Like 1