TBar123

Want to teach

Parrothead

Repair work seems very affordable. Appreciate the info on the moto. I got spoiled while visiting with just hopping into a tuk tuk. Hoping the traffic congestion in Battambang is nothing like phnom penh! Haha.

That's the truth! I have, I'm afraid, become spoiled by Tuk Tuk's as well. Some of my drivers tend to be a bit late to fetch us, sometimes. But, other than that, I find it quite nice to just ease long, not having to concern myself with traffic. It gives me more time to look around and smell the roses, as we slowly move along the roadways. 

• Like 2

TBar123

I could easily continue using tuk tuks for the sheer convenience of not having to maintain a bike and find a place to park it. The cost is fairly minimal compared to my frustration of breaking down somewhere.

Parrothead

I could easily continue using tuk tuks for the sheer convenience of not having to maintain a bike and find a place to park it. The cost is fairly minimal compared to my frustration of breaking down somewhere.

Chan has a bike I bought for her more than two years ago. She keeps it downstairs here. VERY good security here, including gates and camera monitoring.

andy

Having your own moto is handy! There is always the other option of a push bike? Lots of them in Cambodia, and some good mountain bikes! Good way to keep fit too!!!

Parrothead

There is always the other option of a push bike?

My apologies. I was referring to a push bike, not a motorbike. 

TBar123

Glad to hear about the security. Peace of mind is a good thing.

And yes, staying fit is something I want to continue. It's easy for me to become complacent.

• Like 2

luvthai2003

Andy, That was one hell of a breakdown. I've been looking at rooms in PP. I've seen them from $50- $100 a month, fully furnished, TV, washer, utilities, ac. Granted, they're not downtown or by the River Walk.

Oz Jon

On my return to Cambodia I will first go to my rented $70 apartment in Sihanoukville (I haven't been there since March, just a store room now for some of my belongings). Stay there for a little bit, then give up the rental.

Has for Living POOR - Most important to me is to go collect my girlfriend of two years, from her small farm. No use thinking of my Aquaponics there! She has no mains water or electricity. (I can not live that native) (well not for more than a few days). :notallthere:

I do live on my monthly $500. But I live happy. (Richard I do value your experience and knowledge of SE Asia).

Thanks for your valuable input on living simply and cheaply in Cambodia - good information!

Surprisingly cheap for a basic hotel room and very acceptable food.

Even with all the usual add-ons - visas, power, phone, internet, etc, it seems that $1000/month is practical?

That photo'd food and an occasional beer/wine and some cheese, would suit me fine on a daily basis (plus an occasional bit of my own ** French, Italian,Thai, Oz,  gourmet cooking!)

Is your pricing up-to-date - 2017 pricing?

You mention Sihanoukville above , but I understood that you are currently in Koh Kong!

Are costs similar in Sihanoukville and Koh Kong?

Presumably (at least the accommodation) is dearer in Phnom Penh?

Cheers Andy

** For your information, I'm a  "cordon noir chef!" 

- [that's like a "cordon bleu chef", but with darker results from inattention!!!! - a bit of  Cajun influence perhaps???- Lol!]

Edited by Oz Jon

andy

I've been looking at rooms in PP. I've seen them from $50- $100 a month, fully furnished, TV, washer, utilities, ac. Granted, they're not downtown or by the River Walk.

luvthai2003. There are still cheap accommodation to be found in Cambodia. I have only stayed in hotels in PP. It would be good for you if a member who is living there, could give you advice. It may not be suitable to live in certain areas of a large city.      

andy

Is your pricing up-to-date - 2017 pricing?

You mention Sihanoukville above , but I understood that you are currently in Koh Kong!

Are costs similar in Sihanoukville and Koh Kong?

Presumably (at least the accommodation) is dearer in Phnom Penh?

Oz jon. Good questions! I am sure more members would give you relevant information on costs of their areas. All information is helpful for all of us.

Up to date pricing? I have just returned from a short trip. Staying at a very nice hotel at $8 per night in Kampot.  Hired a moto for $5 per day, to travel up the hill to Bokor and the day after to Kep.

As for monthly accommodation I have seen around the $150 mark. But I am sure if spending a little time there some bargains would be available.

In Kep the food was a delight -

post-1230-0-84360700-1499506310_thumb.jpg 

post-1230-0-06872500-1499506598_thumb.jpg

post-1230-0-23359000-1499507125_thumb.jpg

post-1230-0-84457700-1499507148_thumb.jpg

The above with drinks and small tip, came to $20.

Kampot the half rack  of ribs was very filling and tasty at around $6. The friends dog also ate the left overs too :)

post-1230-0-88203800-1499507479_thumb.jpg

And if you want to eat cheap, around the corner was a Khmer café selling fried rice and other dishes at $1.

Sihanoukville you can eat cheap or expensive, there are many choices. Koh Kong is the same. It is the same everywhere in Cambodia, just as it is in our own countries. Same as accommodation. 

Yearly visa's are @$294 Business or Retirement. Only difference now I have a work permit $100.

To be honest Oz jon, for the previous last four months I have lived free with also a small profit. I will not now for sure because it is low season.

I need to work on a few more photo's of the bar food. I actually had a trip to Bangkok to pick up some ingredient's (I do a mean authentic Indian curry). The lady also cooks very good Khmer and Thai food for western tastes. Food here is priced at $2.50 to $5.00. Beer $1, Spirits with mixer $2. All people welcome. But please note now it is low season food made to order.     

post-1230-0-38045300-1499508307_thumb.jpg 

post-1230-0-55197600-1499508334_thumb.jpg

Cambodia can be as cheap or expensive has you want to make it. 

• Like 2