TBar123

Want to teach

TBar123

This is extremely helpful information. I greatly appreciate it. Thank you. I'm 53 and from the U.S. by the way.

TBar123

That's a great breakdown for expenses. I didn't realize it was that inexpensive in general. Do the schools frown upon facial hair?

andy

TBar123 You have been on holiday in Cambodia! You know how much you have spent on meals (eating out in restaurants). Did you eat mainly western food in good places?

I understand with a holiday, you have a kind of budget. But spending is not so much of a big problem, when you want to enjoy. But working and living may just be a little different. We all have our budgets. The prices, and types of food I have quoted in the post, I have done and lived by. (But remember it would be nice to live the best possible way you can). That is too say enjoy your time in Cambodia. 

I have also had a house $80 rent per month, but I had to buy furniture and bedding, cooking utensils, stove and gas, fans to keep cool. Pay monthly utility bills. You would probably want Wi-Fi and TV.

The good thing about it, was my girlfriend would spend $5 down the market and feed us both very well for the day. If I went shopping alone, she would say "How much did you pay? They charged you two much!

When we lived in a hotel together $100 per month. I would budget $10 per day for food and drink for the two of us. We would mainly eat Cambodian food that she was accustomed too. I would have a few western meals per week. We would still have money left in the budget to have a few beers on a night and play games of pool. Not to forget a little money for toiletries and essentials and treats (sight seeing, hairdressers, massage, moto and taxi). Still both options cost me less then $500 per month for the two of us.      

There are lots of Posts on this site about prices, and how members live. I have personally found this Forum very informative, and the members very helpful and kind. I too am 53, and British. Also heading to Battambang soon.

phuketrichard

Andy;

why are earth would someone want to live like that? I know some jails that the prisoners ( and monks)  live better

how about a Bottle beer or two some days, not just one night? a mixed drink, a movie, a lady,( lady companion $10?  Where GSM?)  a good steak, transport, internet, cable

your visa ( $$25/month) WP,  Clothes,  and the list goes on.

trips around town or a vacation once or more/ year,

what about if u get sick, fall down?  add in medical insurance if you go that route ( I dont) another 100-125/month

a Motorcycle or god forbid a car?

I travel 4 or 5 times/years with trips lasting 10 days to a month and  budget $50/day ( if i am not taking my own car)

Sorry, I just dont understand,  i didn't move to asia 35 years ago to live poor  :-)

i had enough of that when i was in my teens so fecking long ago.

At you all's age of 45++   i feel for ya, if this is your life

its fine if ur in your 20-30's

Edited by phuketrichard

TBar123

Yes, when I visited Cambodia in the past it was for holiday and I wasn't worried about a budget. Living there and visiting there are two very different things. I've done much of the tourist things so that wouldn't be an expense. There's nothing wrong with living frugal. I am in a financial position to live comfortably by my standards. I want to enjoy my time there and teaching will help in covering certain costs. I say to each their own. Live life your way.

• Like 1

Parrothead

I say to each their own. Live life your way.

I agree. Some may need a home worth $250,000 USD. Others are fine in one for $10,000, for example. (I'm closer to the $10,000 USD kinda guy, myself.)

• Like 4

andy

We all have our budgets. The prices, and types of food I have quoted in the post, I have done and lived by. (But remember it would be nice to live the best possible way you can). That is too say enjoy your time in Cambodia. 

My quote to the cost of living. The point I was making, it is possible to live on the school wage.

Food and drink $1.50 to $3 Drinks in photo $5 I find it hard to spend more than $10 per day for two people!!! Plus yes I admit I like the odd Rum and Coke rather then Beer. Top two meals are in the restaurant. The bottom two are home cooked. 

post-1230-0-13682100-1455839852_thumb.jpg

post-1230-0-99903300-1455839900_thumb.jpg

post-1230-0-45710900-1455839935_thumb.jpg

post-1230-0-98240400-1455839972_thumb.jpg

post-1230-0-26314800-1455840047_thumb.jpg

Andy;

why are earth would someone want to live like that? I know some jails that the prisoners ( and monks)  live better

how about a Bottle beer or two some days, not just one night? a mixed drink, a movie, a lady,( lady companion $10?  Where GSM?)  a good steak, transport, internet, cable

your visa ( $$25/month) WP,  Clothes,  and the list goes on.

trips around town or a vacation once or more/ year,

what about if u get sick, fall down?  add in medical insurance if you go that route ( I dont) another 100-125/month

a Motorcycle or god forbid a car?

Working for a living! Not for holiday or retirement. You earn to now have the standard of life! Yes, some people can top up the earnings! Add the monies from their own funding, be it savings or pension.

I don't think prisoners in SE Asia would live better, to start with they have lost their freedom. A Monk will have in many cases farming land and daily offerings from the communities.

Beer and drinks! I had suggested two good nights out, and an evening of whisky drinking. Don't forget the job is for a responsible Teacher.

What is GSM?

Visa I had not quoted as you would need anyway to stay the long term. Cloths are cheep! Plus I would have thought to bring western shirts and suit?

I don't do the insurance too! (Good point) I think it would work out very expensive from the west. May be worth looking at that in Cambodia?

Moto to rent? How much per month? I had only rented daily $5 for the Cambodian  family members so they could have day trips with us.

I had bought my own moto.

post-1230-0-28759500-1455839586_thumb.jpg

I travel 4 or 5 times/years with trips lasting 10 days to a month and  budget $50/day ( if i am not taking my own car)

Working for a living! one or two holidays per year would be good. Don't know too much about the school holidays in Cambodia! Are they the same as in the west? And would you be paid for holidays?

Car! My time in Thailand I had my own moto, but I would rent cars or use my friends mainly just for holidays. I have traveled  extensively around Thailand by car.  A few of my friends also have cars in Cambodia. I have been trawling the websites to buy a car on my return to Phnom Penh.

Sorry, I just dont understand,  i didn't move to asia 35 years ago to live poor  :-)

I would like to explain just a little more on your quotes Richard. We have talked in the past about my stays in Thailand, and my visa and western work commitments! Up to the end of 2014 I would spend around about half in my country and the rest mainly in Thailand with visa runs to Cambodia. November 2014 I renewed my Passport. Then returned to Thailand and rented an apartment in Kalasin, used my friends car daily (she didn't need it, she was at work in the KTB Bank). Has a thank you, I took her in her car for a weeks holiday to Ko Chang and the other Thai islands in the area. I spent new year with her, then returned to England for work commitments for a week and then back again to Thailand and Cambodia until the end of February,  Back to England for two weeks. Then Back to Thailand, Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima to visit friends. Cambodia for the following month of March, then once again back to Thailand, Pattaya to see a few friends for the month in April. Then back once more to England in May for 2 weeks. Then back to Thailand for the rest of May and then to Cambodia until late October, and back to Pattaya for a few weeks before returning home in England the second week in November!

Wow my new passport has 6 pages left! So I really need to get a new one before I return in a month or so? After I tend to a few commitments here and have a full health check.

Richard - Has for budgets we all have our own views, on what we need and spend, how to also safe guard yourself. 

my budget! I have always estimated on $150 per day! This will always take in account of anything unforeseen with my time in SE Asia.

In Thailand Bangkok and Pattaya I can spend that amount per day if I wish. (I very rarely do)  I would find it difficult to spend that amount in the countryside especially on my friends farms in Thailand, and never in Cambodia.

If the Thai Government pull their finger out on the new proposed 6 month visa, I would consider splitting my time between the two countries. Has one friend has now offered to rent me a small vacant farm.     

On my return to Cambodia I will first go to my rented $70 apartment in Sihanoukville (I haven't been there since March, just a store room now for some of my belongings). Stay there for a little bit, then give up the rental.

Has for Living POOR - Most important to me is to go collect my girlfriend of two years, from her small farm. No use thinking of my Aquaponics there! She has no mains water or electricity. (I can not live that native) (well not for more than a few days). :notallthere:    

I do live on my monthly $500. But I live happy. (Richard I do value your experience and knowledge of SE Asia).

I would also advise anyone to have a safety net of something in place.        

• Like 1

TBar123

Your food looks delicious. I would look into buying a reliable used moto. Thank you for all the input.

andy

TBar123 You can see more Photos of the bike on the for sale Post. I bought the bike in PP for $560 Rode it a lot, had it for 3 months. Broke the rear shock off road? I could still ride it one up. I had put new tyres on had a oil change done in the shop, for very little money! On my return home, the Cambodian family repaired the shock and put a new battery in the bike, Then sold it for me. But if I was riding around town more I would buy a small moto. Cheaper to run and maintain.

At the beginning of 2015 my western friend told me to use his Honda Click for the week, so I could go sight seeing. He had got another moto for his Cambodian daughter who was at University in PP. It had a flat rear tyre! (slow puncher). So me and the daughter pushed it over the road to the bike shop. The shop put in a new inner tube. I asked them to do some more work has my friend had lent me the moto for free. So new brake shoes in the rear, oil change, new fluid in the front master cylinder, and a few adjustments. 

The guy give the moto a clean too! The price less then $10.    

Edited by andy
  • Like 1

TBar123

Repair work seems very affordable. Appreciate the info on the moto. I got spoiled while visiting with just hopping into a tuk tuk. Hoping the traffic congestion in Battambang is nothing like phnom penh! Haha.

• Like 1