Parrothead

Electricity Update: Connected at the farm.

Parrothead

In my original thread, I posted the costs for connecting electricity for new clients out near Chan's Farm. Typical SE Asian pricing, for sure. But, that's how it goes.

Anyway, after looking at the costs for the various packages, it didn't take long to figure out it would be cheaper for me to pay for multiple 20 amp services, rather than a single 63 amp service. Besides, I can have them do the work for me, running power to specific points at the farm, so I don't have to. They get multiple service accounts and I get electric service where I want / need it. 

Let me explain. 

To secure a single 63 amp service at the farm, it would cost $521.56. 

To secure a single 20 amp service at the farm, it would cost $96.50.

For the cost of 1 single 63 amp service, you could pay for 5 - 20 amp services to be connected, or 100 amps service, total.

See what I mean about "typical SE Asian pricing"? Doesn't make sense, does it? 

So, for now, we have connected a single 20 amp service at the farm. I will have them connect another 20 amp service, at the time I get at least one more outbuilding constructed. Later, I will have another 20 amp service connected to a barn. Easier to keep track of power usage that way, as well as being cheaper for me. :)

IMG_2276_r.jpg

IMG_2279_r.jpg

IMG_2281_r.jpg

IMG_2284_r.jpg

IMG_2285_r.jpg

• Like 1

andy

I was in a local shop up here in the sticks. The electric man was delivering the bills. I asked the shop lady if I could look. 760reil per klw. Electric is provided from Laos.

phuketrichard

Good deal;  cheaper than what Khmers pay if from vietnam or Thailand

• Like 1

andy

Yes I think so! It would be good to find out what the domestic rate is for the country folk! Paul being the big fan of Thailand and getting is supply from them will surely think differently :)

Parrothead

Good deal;  cheaper than what Khmers pay if from vietnam or Thailand

Yes I think so! It would be good to find out what the domestic rate is for the country folk! Paul being the big fan of Thailand and getting is supply from them will surely think differently :)

Under X number kWh's, it is 400r / kWh. Over X number kWh's, it is 800r / kWh. Last month's power bill was $1.00 USD / 4,000r.

Personally, I don't give two shits where the electricity is originating. We use solar as our primary provider of power at the farm.

Edited by Paul

andy

So the solar is installed up and running on the farm? Is the power stored in batteries? If so what is the need for mains power? Are the Khmer family knowledgeable about its working's? How often do you have to go out and service the system? What is the cost of a system?

Is it efficient? How long will the panels last?

Will it run my household and my proposed business?

Parrothead

Good Lord! Talk about a list of questions.

So the solar is installed up and running on the farm?

Yes. It's in my solar threads on this site. I have had my original solar array there for - two, maybe going on three years?

Is the power stored in batteries?

Yes, deep cycle batteries.

If so what is the need for mains power?

Backup power, in case needed.

Are the Khmer family knowledgeable about its working's?

Partially. Enough to check and give us a report so I know if there is something wrong with it.

How often do you have to go out and service the system?

Once per month, or every other month. We visit there more frequently than that, though, anyway.

• Like 1

Parrothead

What is the cost of a system?

The system we have there, you would have to go back through my threads. I think I have the costs listed somewhere. The panels would be cheaper today, though, than at that time. They have come down a fair amount in cost since then. Batteries, however, are still sold around $1.25 per amp hour.

Is it efficient?

Efficiency ratings vary.

How long will the panels last?

20 to 25 years, typically?

Will it run my household and my proposed business?

Yes. But, you wouldn't want to pay out the money it would cost to do it, especially if you are paying less than 800r / kWh presently. Your mains power is cheaper to run. The main reason I still have ours running now is, because we had it running before anyway. My solar array is cleaner, more stable, and more reliable than the mains - anywhere in Cambodia.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

andy

So the main power is more effective?

The time I have been up here there have been very little in power cuts? And I only remember the one that lasted 10 minutes. There has been a few power surges, where the lights would dim and the fan run a little slow.

Parrothead

So the main power is more effective?

Mains power is not as clean, stable (voltage or cycles), or reliable.