andy

Building a house in Cambodia

andy

I am making plans to have a house built here in a rural area of Cambodia. I am looking at a build, of a typical Khmer house.

post-1230-0-43274300-1465034586_thumb.jpg 

Prices I have been quoted from the builders of this house is around the $7000 mark. Mostly because wood, is now becoming a very expensive commodity.  

I have also talked to the local community of their house prices. Most have very large houses, and this reflects in their answers to me, about what they have paid in price.   

Paul I know has posted is plans of his design? May I ask you Paul did you get any quotes for the build?

Has any other members had houses built. Or built themselves? I would welcome any information available.   

Edited by andy

dicey eye

Talked to a forum member in Phnom Penh yesterday. He built two houses (2 bedrooms each if I remember correctly, maybe 3 bedrooms) for less than $3500 materials and labor each - no wood only concrete and brick and tile. One for his ex in PP (before she became his ex) and one for his current common law wife's family.in SHV.

The only accurate way to get a realistic cost estimate is to survey the builders in the area you plan on constructing your home.Prices vary, though I've noticed in more remote areas (like where my wife's mother who lives in the boonies, her house cost less than $2000) costs are less because money is scarce and the laborers will work for less. Those that have the cash, call the tune.

Edited by dicey eye

Parrothead

Paul I know has posted is plans of his design? May I ask you Paul did you get any quotes for the build?

Not yet. Too early for me as yet. Ground isn't ready.

andy

I was looking more at building the rural wooden Khmer house to fit in with the neighbouring houses. But on the smaller size! I don't need more then two bedrooms. I am modest, so I don't want a elaborate build. Only something to suit my needs. Practical and liveable.

post-1230-0-74331700-1465107459.png

With it also being two floors, I would hope to catch some of the cool breeze from the river on the upper floor.

There would also be benefits of housing the aquaponics germination units on the ground floor. (These will be built in units).

The livestock will be housed in a separate building, along with the irrigation pump and aquaponics workings.

I hope to use the small area of land to its full potential, by the means of soil based planting (irrigated with water from the river).

The neighbours have an irrigation system in place with sprinklers to each individual plants. Good growing soil is available by the truck load, just down the road.

I don't see the point in large land fill like many do here! There is no flooding. But some people still do this in the area. I think because it is the thing to do.

post-1230-0-93112900-1465108369_thumb.jpg

This way I think is a more cost saving example. Adequate for the needs of the area. There is also a quarry nearby, selling stone landfill at 35000riel per truck.

The owner I have bought the land from, has his house sitting on a concrete slab. 100m2 x 6-8" I asked him how much it cost him to lay? His answer was materials and labour was $300. He will help me to organize If I require a slab.  

Edited by andy

Parrothead

This would give you an opportunity similar to the AP guy in Thailand.

4 (1).jpg

He has a better photo, but I have not found it again, yet. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

Found more.

2 (1).jpg

Tanks.jpg

SumpH.jpg

phuketrichard

u guys make me feel so bad,  So ambitious, i just want sit back and enjoy life (or travel)

I am a lazy fecker

I like the house idea, its like we have on our land,  we have a cement slab and a cement room downstairs as well as a separate kitchen room  Only thing i hate is as far as nose goes, its like having no walls at all.

Pig / chicken house is about 50 meters away . If i had to live there would need make some changes  :-)

• Like 1

andy

Good photo's Paul. Thank you. But the tanks, we could never have here in Cambodia just now! Unless they where imported. The main pipes he is using are 85-100mm. Is that a pump house I see in the photo? Fed by the means of the mains water? I would only presume the guy is using one hell of a secondary pump.

There is no other reason to use such heavy plumbing! only to have an massive flow of water. Looks to be a fantastic system. I think his main role is fish rearing, with the aquaponics just has a added on side line. Would I be wrong with my observations? More info please! Good project. (would be nice if the guy joined the site).

I agree with you Richard about the noise! The fish and pig housing will be in the short vicinity of the house. More so, that I can keep an eye on it! (but not when sleeping). Opportunists for the better word, I suspect will be looking for their free pickings. (but they will have to negotiate the dog).  

I have thought about filling the bedroom wall with sheeted Styrofoam between the stud wall, and then over-cladding with plasterboard. (or just use bamboo or reed matting to overlay for a nice finish) ether method will lessen some noise.     

Parrothead

But the tanks, we could never have here in Cambodia just now! Unless they where imported.

I'm importing my IBC totes. Why wouldn't one import fish tanks? I just felt the prices were high for the fish tanks, which is why I did not pursue using them. This is what Aquaponics Thailand sent me a while back, regarding prices on their tanks: "Fish tanks are 500 L at 4,115 Baht ($117 USD), 1,000 L at 5,750 Baht ($163 USD), and 3,500 L at 14,000 Baht ($400 USD)."

I am getting my 1,000 Liters IBC totes for under $100 USD each / shipped here. Granted, they are square and not round, which would probably be better for the fish. But, thousands of other people are using them around the world. So, why not? :)

I would only presume the guy is using one hell of a secondary pump.

He only uses the one 22,000 LPH water pump as far as I know, and three air pumps for the entire system.

Is that a pump house I see in the photo? Fed by the means of the mains water?

No. That is the sump and Bakki Shower filter.

Would I be wrong with my observations?

I believe his main gig is vegetables.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

andy

Has some members will know, I have been trying to price up building materials, mainly timber (trying being the only word). Buying the materials by the "KIP" (unit of measurement of an area in Khmer terms, is not an easy task). We are all very well educated in our own ways of measurements, and educated conversions, thus the task should be easy and simplified. But "no" the Khmer seller has is own view and way to sell or not sell. To make myself a little more clear! If the seller has an incline that I am only there enquiring for price, he would return to sit down (his way of not wanting to give you his time). In the west the seller would do the opposite, and give you all the information you ask! Hoping the end result you would buy from them. Has you are really only inquiring to buy.

With fittings, such as electrics, pluming pipes and fittings, toilets and sinks, cookers, and board materials. No problems. Easy to get the prices. The same goes with bricks, sand and cement, concrete, tiles and stone.