andy

Building a house in Cambodia

scoffer

Building near Laos? On the Cambodian boarder.

What is your nationality! Who would you be suggesting?

But he is old and does not want to travel?

Andy, 

I'm Oz born and bred and currently live in Oz.

The person I'd recommend to you is my lady's father-  he is 72 years old and goes to work each day.

He is based in Kandal Province, does not speak English and builds / manages the building of Khmer Type houses.

I'm not to sure of his ability to travel at this stage as he has been in and out of hospital with a serious leg infection.

However,  I would be more than comfortable in recommending him to manage / oversee the construction.

And for those that might question me recommending a relative.

All I can say is I have way too much credibility to loose in making a post of this nature just to scam someone for a small amount of cash.

Edited by scoffer
  • Like 2

andy

Thank you scoffer. I will keep this in mind. No problem with the English! The wife can translate. This is the type of house I would be happy with. I will also be visiting a local builder in the area.

post-1230-0-52441500-1465466950.png

I am going up country very shortly. Firstly to build the boundary fencing and do a little land fill.

Hope you lady's farther makes a good recovery.

• Like 1

scoffer

That's a sweet looking house.

The trend to go for Bricks / Concrete fail to recognize that timber does not store heat.

If you have access to a regular and constant supply of electricity - you can build what you want.

If not -  Timber is a smart choice.

• Like 2

andy

I like the look of this house too scoffer. I would like to have a balcony on the other side too, one facing the front towards the road, and one at the rear facing the river. Also I will incorporate many windows/shutters for ventilation. I have thought of many different ways I can achieve this without losing the character of the Khmer house. One good design would be easy and affective. That would be the Japanese sliding panel.    

andy

"Shoji"  is a door, window or room divider.

post-1230-0-16345900-1465566959.png​

With all the materials available, it would be a useful and attractive project.   

Parrothead

Looks nice to have a home on stilts / pillars. However, none of us are getting any younger. I certainly do not want to be an old man, having to climb up an entire flight of stairs just to sleep at night. No sirree, Bob. A few steps up, though, I would do. 

andy

Paul you lived long before me in the apartment block! 2 flights of stairs you contended with! I have been residing on the top floor, around 60 steeps to keep me fit. But I do see your point! 14 steeps on the new house, and a contingent plan of a room on the ground floor for age. haha. 

phuketrichard

many reason to use bricks;

cost less, no termites are 2

SO although the house in the photo looks nice. where ya going to cook?  wheres the bathroom?

Parrothead

Paul you lived long before me in the apartment block! 2 flights of stairs you contended with!

Only because there wasn't a unit on the ground floor available, when I moved there. :):P 

andy

Now you have a ground floor apartment with nice surroundings. Very nice indeed.  

• Like 1